Any Midland, MI (or nearby) moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any moms from the Midland area?

I have 2 daughters, Arianne 4 and Kayden 21 mos. Would like to meet like minded moms with children close in age to mine.

Alison

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

:

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Old 07-19-2005, 12:04 AM

Well, I'm just finding this...I don't post often on this board.

I'm in Bay City and my DD is 27 months and DS is 9 months.

Jenn, momma to 4 busy bees
Old 07-19-2005, 12:12 AM

Hi there
Sorry to say we are nowhere near Michigan anymore -- but your post caught my eye because my husband was raised in Midland (born and adopted in Detroit)
He always calls it a "suburb of Dow Chemical"
Say hi for us!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 AM

Hi- we are kinda close I live near Brighton and work in Grand Blanc.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 AM

Hi

I'm in Saginaw. My ds is 3.5, dd is 6 mos and I also have a 10 yo dsd.

Christine

Christine, mom to ds Myles(3/02),dd Zoie(1/05), ds Sojourn(1/07) and dsd Saige(10/94).  Professional hand analyst, WAHM.
Discover your child's biggest challenge and truly Parent on Purpose
www.christinegulrajani.com
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 PM

I am in Saginaw--I've only been here a month. I have a 3 month old baby girl. It seems that there are not too many of us out here--maybe the tri-city moms need to unite! Have any of you heard of diaper free? I just started it with my sweetie.

Mommy of 2 sweeties, staying warm and making things!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to start our own group. Would anyone be interested in a yahoogroup for us in the tri-cities? I'm mainstream in that I plan to send my children to a school outside the home. For the rest I'm pretty crunchy. Didn't used to be (DD1 raised very mainstream ) but I am now. lol

So nice to know I'm not the only one. I only knew of one other mom in Bay City with similar interests. The ladies I know from Midland are mostly from my church and not very crunchy. From what I know they only breastfeed (except one who is FF'g). Birthing, diapering, eating, raising etc is all mainstream.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 PM

Me, Me! 6 more weeks & I'll be in Midland! ds1: 30mths ds2: 7mths

Can't wait to meet ya'll!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:27 PM

I'm in TX now (husband is active duty) but will return to the Fenton area for good by Christmas...it would be worth the drive to meetcha! I'm sure ilovemyavery would come with me...she's my best friend.
Let us know if you get together!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailsbeeb
I am in Saginaw--I've only been here a month. I have a 3 month old baby girl. It seems that there are not too many of us out here--maybe the tri-city moms need to unite! Have any of you heard of diaper free? I just started it with my sweetie.
I am on my second diaper free baby and I love it!!!

Christine, mom to ds Myles(3/02),dd Zoie(1/05), ds Sojourn(1/07) and dsd Saige(10/94).  Professional hand analyst, WAHM.
Discover your child's biggest challenge and truly Parent on Purpose
www.christinegulrajani.com
Old 07-26-2005, 12:04 PM

We do need to start something. I am not too familiar with the area yet--does anyone have a suggestion for a breast and baby friendly meeting place? We have only lived here about a month.

--Gail (Mom to Hollin 4/22/05 and married to dh 5 years )

Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 PM

i think it would be rad to have a group for us like-minded mommas. i am a new mom to a beautiful 5 1/2 wk old ds. we are having fun with cd, ec, and ap all over town. just today i was walking around the mall in hopes they would have a decent nursing bra somewhere (they didn't) and a man called me over and said "is there a baby in there?" (refering to my sling) and i said of course and showed him ds, who was just snoozing away. the man looks over at the gal he was with and says "see! i told you!"
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 PM

I carry my dd in her sling everywhere we go--everyone seems to be fascinated by it-- I must admit, she does look super cute and cozy in it. We are a walking old lady magnet! If you (ashleylesh) are still looking for a decent nursing bra, go to www.anita.com. I just bought 2. They are very comfy and they are quick drying and smooth ( I hate the lumpy look). I did not order mine online but the web address is on the tag so I am assuming you can order them. Good luck and congrats on your sweet new baby!

Old 07-29-2005, 05:12 PM

I just saw this because I don't come to this board often. My daughter is 17 months old. I work in Saginaw, so I must be one of the few people here in Midland who doesn't work for Dow. I think pretty much any place in the Tri-Cities has proven to be breastfeeding and baby-friendly to me, what about you? FYI, I heard that the Saginaw/Bay City LLL leaders are thinking of holding monthly meetings in Midland. That would be very convenient.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm taking suggestions for names for our new yahoo group. I know for me it can be hard to keep up with posts on this board but if we have a yahoo group the emails can come right to our inbox. It is also much more private. Not that we have anything to hide but I feel bad taking up bandwidth for those of us who want to chat back and forth about the tri-cities.

Really excited!!!

Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 PM

I agree-- a yahoo group is a great idea. Now for a name... I say we all think about that one! We could be boring and call it "Tri-City Moms"--that would be straight forward even if it isn't the most creative name out there.
--Does anyone know where the LLL meeting will be held in August?
--I was also wondering where those of you in Saginaw shop for groceries. I am having a hard time finding a good place to buy food.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 AM

Definitely put something about "ap" in the title or description. I was bummed when I yahoo group searched for ap/nfl/organic etc. etc. in midland/tri-county and found just about nil! There were a couple things in mt. pleasant, but that was it!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 AM

I'm very near Midland. Every time I'm in Meijer I think I see at least 2 slinging mamas so I'll bet I've seen you guys! I'd love to be involved in an AP group! I tried LLL in Saginaw (since there wasn't one in Midland) but a mama let her infant CIO in the carseat when I was there. : : Nobody said anything. Anyway, since then ds has been sick every time a meeting comes up. I'm hoping to go again though in August (gotta check the dates and call to find out where it is). Maybe it will be better this time? I'd really like a group that's both pro-breastfeeding and pro-AP!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:47 AM

I just wanted to say hello to y'all. . . . I grew up in Clare (just west of Midland) and this post caught my eye.

i'm in the metro detroit area now.

namaste.gif

Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 AM

Hey mamas, I live downstate in Plymouth but during the summer I spend most weekends at our cottage just outside of Clare on Lake George. We are trying to have a day trip with some MDC mamas there so check out the thread.

Also, no reason to move your little tribe from here if you do not want to. Chatting with local friends is exactly what this forum is about.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailsbeeb
I agree-- a yahoo group is a great idea. Now for a name... I say we all think about that one! We could be boring and call it "Tri-City Moms"--that would be straight forward even if it isn't the most creative name out there.
--Does anyone know where the LLL meeting will be held in August?
--I was also wondering where those of you in Saginaw shop for groceries. I am having a hard time finding a good place to buy food.

If you PM me, I'll give directions to the Bay City LLL meeting for August. It is on August 9th, topic of Nutrition & Weaning facts and fallicies. Unfortunatly, I won't be able to make it because we'll be up north at our cabin. There is also a Breastfeeding walk in Bay City on the 13th (again, I can't make it, boo) which I believe starts at the Community Center and goes along the riverwalk. They will have details at the LLL meeting, I'm sure.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 PM

Yeah! New friends! I'm in Midland, too.

For the person interested in the Saginaw LLL meeting, the next one is on the 11th at 7:00 PM. If you want directions, let me know. I have been to lots of the meetings there and have never seen a mom let her baby CIO...how terrible!

For the person interested in shopping in Saginaw you might want to check out www.greenseedcoop.com. It's a newly formed co-op where you can order lots and lots of organic stuff (including produce). And the people who belong to it are great! (Hi Ashley! Hi Christine! ) If you have any questions after you visit the site, let me know.

I'm a Bradley Method teacher, so getting to know more people in the area who are AP friendly is such a blessing...I had no idea you all were out there!

--Kara
: and :home: Mom to Alina 6 yrs, Elise 3 yrs and Nadia 4 mos
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Glad to see a group forming in that part of the state . I grew up in that area (went to Harrison schools, so NW of Midland) and most people were far from crunchy/AP/NFLing. I now live "downstate", but make my way up that way occasionally to visit family.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I think it would be fun to get together for a little while so our kids can play and we can talk. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

I don't know how to post a poll on here. I wanted one that could have a list where more than one thing could be selected. Any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

For example. M, T, W, Th, F, S, Su. Morning, noon, afternoon, or evening. Tridge, or Plymouth park.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:41 PM

I don't know how to set up a poll, either, but a get together sounds great! Week day mornings are best for me. I'm closer to the Tridge side of town, but Plymouth would be good, too. What about the Splash Park at the farmer's market?

--Kara
2: and :home2: Mom to Alina 6 yrs, Elise 3 yrs and Nadia 4 mos
Old 08-05-2005, 07:02 PM

I am also unsure how to conduct a poll. I am pretty flexible as far as when we meet. Mornings are better than afternoons and evenings. I do not know where either of those places mentioned are, but I will have to travel from south of Saginaw regardless so either place works for me. The farmers market sounds interesting. Another idea is to go to the Shiawassee Wildlife Refuge for a little walk on one of the trails there.
Lets start by picking a day and time. How about next Tuesday or Thursday at 10:00--someone else pick where and just give me directions!

Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 AM

I'm out of town for the next week...but after that I'd love to meet up. (Until the end of August when I go back to work...then I'm only free on weekends!) There's also the playscape park on Wheeler Rd (maybe that's Plymouth park? I don't know the name of the park! )

Old 08-06-2005, 11:04 PM

Let's try to meet after next week so Kiltiegirl (Jenn) can go too. How about August 16th (Tuesday) at 10:00. Where...

Who is in?

Old 08-07-2005, 03:28 PM

the sixteenth would work well for me. after august i will be working nearly every day at a neat resale shop in auburn. i am so amazed that i have gotten a job where i can bring ds to!!! never in my wildest dreams did i think i would find such a job in this area. looking forward to meeting all of you. about the LLL meeting in saginaw, i have never seen a baby CIO in a carseat at any of the meetings i have been to.

User Tag List