Yooper Mamas, Say Ya to da UP, EH? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1579 Old 01-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I don't like coffee that much- Some coffee is good, but for the most part I am not a coffee person, I guess that was a shaby idea on my part. Bowling sounds cool! I can bowl a great 50 maybe

Thank you for the welcome back- I will be there tomorrow for tea time!

ETA: I love coffee flavored things- just dont like the taste of ture coffee (black)

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#62 of 1579 Old 01-22-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#63 of 1579 Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 AM

I haven't read through all of the other posts yet, but just wanted to introduce myself to some other Yooper mamas! I'm Jessica, a SAHM to Collin who is 10 months
#64 of 1579 Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 AM

Alas, another former yooper, current downstate girl. I was born in Manistique and lived there only until I was 4yo. We summered in the UP every year though - first Brevort Lake and then Drummond Island. I also lived a summer north of Marquette in Big Bay as a camp counselor at Bay Cliff. My grandmother is from Sidnaw, lived her whole childhood there. My dad got his MA from NMU. And my highschool boyfriend went to school at LSSU. That's all my "connections" I think

Whoever said downstate winter sucks - amen! I'll take a lovely winter with lasting snow over the current sludge that is metro Detroit. ugh.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#65 of 1579 Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 PM

I'm currently living in Terre Haute, Indiana because of school, but my mom's the minister at Portage United Church in Houghton. We love it up there so much. We were last there in May so she could baptize ds, and it was gorgeous. I loved the lilacs growing everywhere. Ds and I are coming to visit my mom and brother on Feb. 3rd and I can't wait! Just wish dh could come, but he has to work. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, so I'm harboring a glimmer of hope that perhaps after graduation, a job in the UP will present itself.

This thread caught my eye because we have the title of it on a bumper sticker slapped on the back of our car.

Anna , partner to Chad geek.gif , mommy to Aidan (10/12/04) and Nate (07/18/06) fencing.gif , and Violet fairy.gif(10/23/07) .

#66 of 1579 Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 PM

Welcome new Yooper Mamas! As you'll notice, we talk ALOT about snow and food here.
#67 of 1579 Old 01-26-2006, 12:04 PM

to our new yooper friends !!!!
#68 of 1579 Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Aidan'smom... Portage Lake United is a really neat church I think! If I still lived up there and wanted to go to church, I would definitely check it out. Some friends of my family have gone there for years, my friend was married there (but the minister was a man back then, 1997).

I prob won't be home til late spring though, for now anyway... unless we go up at Easter...
#69 of 1579 Old 02-12-2006, 12:21 AM

just moved here to marquette... now thinking it should have been hancock... hey redhotmama and crayon... can you refer me to a group closer to my new home? will have fancy pics up soon.
thank you and nice to meet you all.
#70 of 1579 Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Humm... I don't know of anything in Marquette- let me do some looking-

Okay there is a MOPs group that meets:
Calvary Baptist Church
105 Iroquois Dr
Negaunee, MI 49866
(906)475-9772
Meets 1ST & 3RD TH at 9:45-11:45AM

More info on MOPs here: http://www.mops.org/Groups/group_sea...&src=GS#result

For LLL meetings:
LLL of Marquette County meets on the last Tuesday of the month at 1:00 p.m. at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.

Here is contact info: http://www.lllusa.org/web/MarquetteCoMI.html

Here is the website for the UP Children's Meseum
http://www.upcmkids.org/information.htm

Ask these people if there are local play groups- I found out about ours at our LLL meeting. Also, we have a program called PEAs but I don't think they are in Marquette.

You are always welcome to come up to Houghton/Hancock! We have lots of stuff going on all week.... I think the most important thing is to search it out, ask people what else is going on- and go to those things, the worst is that is was not super fun and you don't do it again, or the good thing is you will find new friends and be pretty active. Also ask at the co/op or post a flyer looking to start a playdate- or playdate in the local parks during spring, summer and early fall!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#71 of 1579 Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM

thank you for the information gals! i've landed here in the u.p. after a bit of traveling around the country. my heart seems to want to settle here for reasons i'm not fully aware of yet. i love the simplicity and the way most operate at their own leisure... the u.p. is a rare place in america...so happy to have found it. glad to know that you all are here, knew you were somewhere lurking about in the woods, can't wait to meet you all sometime. if i'm ever in hancock area i will for sure give you a shout out before arriving. thanks again! peace....is....on....its....way.....and as mothers we are shining the light on this front! it's time to gather our truths! this is such a great place to start!

later ladies.
#72 of 1579 Old 02-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Hey Daysella, if you ever want to move 90 miles west we would welcome you I too have lived in different parts of the US (and so has redhotmama and cherrypudding) and I really love the UP. I find it is more down to earth here- not so much craziness. Sometimes I dream of a tropical island but then I would miss my friends so much I could not leave here for long. I was gone for a month and longing to be home so bad...

Glad you have found the UP a peacful place for you and your family!

#73 of 1579 Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Hello! I am new to this site and this is my 1st post. I am a Yooper...grew up here, graduated, attended both MTU and NMU, came back after a brief trip to MT for DH's grad school and now reside in the Copper Country (never thought that would happen, or that I would want to, but I love it here for many of the reasons I've seen posted)). Pleasantly surprised to see other Copper Country Mamas here. Saw some of you at "the midwife's" a few weeks ago...I'm Jen. Looking forward to attending LLL meetings...tried to hit the last one, but DH had to work late. Didn't know that being an hour late to LLL isn't really "late"! Anyway, we homeschool Alaina (6 1/2) Noah (4) and Caleb (2), and it's time to "do school" w/ Noah. I look forward to getting to know you all on the limited time I have here online! Jen
#74 of 1579 Old 02-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Hey yoopermama, we so need to get together!! I was so excited to see the snow fall today- it looks so pretty over the valley across the street. However, I cant wait until spring, we walk the town and the trails daily when there is no snow. There is another midwife meeting on the 20th- so I hope to see you there!

Redhotmama, do you know what time on Monday the MW meeting is??

Welcome to MDC! Glad you found this thread! And glad to know I have folks here in the ghetto! I told DH I wanted to put a sign under the Hubell sign that says "Welcome to Ghetto Hubbell!" But really I am sure it is just my street- ya know what I mean! Oh, and the ghetto house I live in

#75 of 1579 Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Hi! We have germs in our house, currently. We've been sickly for the past couple of weeks. We would like to have you over to our side of the valley soon. The snow is pretty, especially being on a hill surrounded by trees like we are...I think you must be, too? When you say the trails, do you mean the snowmobile trails behind us? If so, we walk them, too! We like Hungarian falls, over in Tamarack, too. Lots to explore there.

I think the MW meeting is at 7--Marcee called me last week and that's what I worte down.

You and that "ghetto" Hubbell! When I was growing up here, I had no "label" for Hubbell, but Dollar Bay and Mason were supposed to be the "slums". That's funny now, because we attend church in Dollar Bay now! And we meet cool people from Mason everywhere it seems.

Time to slather on some tea tree oil on my neck for my sore throat (really romantic smelling) and get ready for bed. Glad to hear from you!

Jen Happy Early Valentine's Day!
#76 of 1579 Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 AM

YooperMama

Happy Valentine's Day to all the yoopers out there
I hope your day is filled with romance, chocolate and !
#77 of 1579 Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Hi!

Now you can help explain what a yooper is to this entire site. I get asked about once a week

I live in Houghton and have one 2.5 yo dd. We are planning to unschool. Where does your dh work?
#78 of 1579 Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Hi, Redhotmama! Happy VD to you all, too!

Yoopervegan--that whole yooper question...sigh...you can go at it from the logisitics, of course, a "U.P.er" = yooper, you know phonetically, which doesn't quite encapsulate the whole concept, as you probably know. I think that actually, I prefer that simple definition, b/c it seems like the local concept is a bit, I don't know, pompous? A real-pull your self up by your bootstraps-we rough it like nobody else can-our winters kick anyone else's butts, etc... Am being cynical? Or overanalytical? I love the U.P., but sometimes the climate of the people is as col as the winters (and I'm from here, remember!) Is it the stoic Finlanders of my ancestry? Any one else
know what I'm trying to say?

As for unschooling...would the Moore's be in that category? We enjoyed their philosophy..we like unit study/multi-age approach, w/ some classical mixed in. Nothing too rigid...we're relatively new at it, only been doing it for a few years.

My dh is a therapist at the local mental health agency. I have a degree in social work, so I can appreciate his job and understand a bit of what he encounters in a day. I'm so thankful that I can be at home!

jen
#79 of 1579 Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 AM

Hello,

I'm such a private person I'm having a hard time with this message.

I live in Ontonagon, and we are thinking of homeschooling our son next year. Since I saw some of you are homeschoolers I was wondering if you knew of any activities going on down here or possibly in the Houghton area for homeschoolers? My son is 6 and I also have a daughter who's 3.

Thank you,

Julie
#80 of 1579 Old 02-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Hi Julie

I know yoopermama homeschools and so does one other Houghton mama who is on MDC but maybe not on this thread yet. Marcie are you out there?
We need you awesome mothering help
#81 of 1579 Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Hi, Julie, welcome! We had lived in Ewen several years ago, and my husband worked in the Ontongaon area schools. I remember feeling quite isolated out there! We have an "organized" support group here in the area. They put out a newsletter several times a year (one will be out next in early April--we just received one a few weeks ago) that highlight events, people, etc. One thing for sure is the Thursday open swim at Finlandia University in Hancock that several families take advantage of...there's a Keepers at Home group for girls (like brownies, kind of--earn badges and learn homemaking skills), a chess club, field trips, events at MTU's Rozsa Center that homeschoolers are welcome to attend and various other activities, as season and interest dictate. Children are getting more involved w/ the newsletter, and there will be a meeting soon for people interested in serving on a board to direct the group. It's not a very active group, but there is a lot of "new blood" out there (like us, with a 6, 4 and 2 year old) who are eager to get things going. I'm planning 2 field trips currently for spring and summer...one to a local dairy farm (where we can get raw milk), and another to a local beekeeper (where we can get raw honey). The e-mail address to contact for more information and for a sample newsletter (a subscription is $5 a year) is
ccheupdates@hotmail.com. Hope that this is helpful! Feel free to contact me w/ any other questions!
#82 of 1579 Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 AM

Yes, thanks so much for helping. I just sent an e-mail to the group. It sounds like there is a lot going on your way. I'm sure the trip to the beekeepers will be fun. At a family reunion a couple of years ago we all went to see a beekeeper and my son (I think he was 3 1/2) was totally fascinated.
#83 of 1579 Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM

Hi! I just found our newsletter and I'll share a bit more to get you a better flavor of things going on...

1. Art show for homeschoolers will be on display at the Community Arts Center in Hancock.
2. Field trip on Feb. 10 was to the Community Church in Calumet for a 1907 pipe organ intro., tour, and mini-recital. Sledding followed at the wonderful Swedetown sled hill/cross country ski trail/chalet.
3. Future historians meeting in Negaunee on a U.P. weather history w/ Karl Bohnack. 2/21.
4. Rozsa acts: Swingin', stompin' and Rockin': Development of music in America's jazz history; Young Artists Series: Local music, theatre and dance by local students; and Tinariwen w/ Markus James (American musician plays and discusses music from Western Sahara region of Mali.
5 Involvement of homeschoolers on boys basketball, and girls' volleyball teams w/ the local Christian school.
6. Student and Family spotlights (to meet people in the area)
7. Indoor flea market opportunity coming in May in Covington. very interesting opportunity
8. Bright Minds Consultant advertisement for hosting a workshop.
9. Scholastic Book orders.
10. Involvement w/ MTU's world records.
11. Student movie reviews
12. Fun facts,
13. Free pre-release screening of new Veggie tales video this friday at a local church.

State site:
www.inch.org

Hope that's helpful! I know there used to be a homeschooling family up there, associated w/ the Baptist Church, but I think they've left the area. Can't remember their name...Anyone have any leads?

Jen
#84 of 1579 Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM

Hi Julie. Not sure if you are still checking in here but I just met a woman that unschools in the Ontonagon area. I am going down to meet her next week
#85 of 1579 Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Hi Yooper mamas!
When is the next Midwife meeting?
La Leche League is this Monday @6:00pm in Hancock, hope to see you there!
#86 of 1579 Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM

Miss- Redhotmama- I see your have added a little

So here is to you mama! Hey, it's sparkling cider man!

Congrats girl- you know I am sooo excited!!!

#87 of 1579 Old 03-04-2006, 10:53 AM

Thanks Crayon! I don't feel any different yet but am already nesting
Yooper mamas we should set up a cloth diaper/baby clothes exchange. Any takers?
#88 of 1579 Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Hummm... I am loving the clothes idea! I have a TON of baby clothes.... but you have to wait for me to come back- Scott says we should be back by Raineys birthday!

Everyone- PRAY!!!

#89 of 1579 Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM

way to go on Redhotmama!
#90 of 1579 Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 AM

crayon, hurry home mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page