Yooper Mamas, Say Ya to da UP, EH? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1579 Old 03-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a couple of weeks. I have a hard time getting online as my computer is located in my loft...it's difficult to get up the ladder with an infant. Casimir is a wonderful little babe. I could not have imagine motherhood to be as wonderful as it is. He truly is a little bundle of joy.

Here is a quick version of a birth story...I have not had time to write up anything substantial.

I visited my Dr. on Mon. Feb. 27 and found (much to my surprise) that I was dialated to 4 cm. It was my partner's and my anniversary that day, and I didn't feel that labor was impending, so we went to my cousin's house for a celebratory dinner. That night, labor started somewhere around 1 am. Rushes were strong enough to keep me awake for the remainder of the night, but not strong enough to alert anyone...I let Matthew sleep through the night.

Once dawn approached, I felt that things were moving along nicely, so I called Ellen, my midwife to let her know that the time was approaching. I spent the day taking each rush as it came...Matthew and I went for a walk...and spent the entire day preparing for the baby's birth. By 6 pm that evening, I felt that I was about to "go crazy" at any moment, and called Ellen and my mom out to my house.

When Ellen checked me, I was only dialated to 5 cm...all that work all day...and so little progress!!! I was a bit disappointed, but tried to remain positive and high-spirited. For the next SEVERAL hours, I labored and labored and labored...I tried every position I could...stepped in and out, many times, of the birthing pool...finally by the early afternoon of March 1, I was fully dialated. Unfortunately, I had not had any urges to push. After an hour or so of feeling no urge to push, my other midwife, Wendy, checked me again. I was still fully dialate...she could feel the waters...but the baby's head was not descending upon my cervix. When Wendy felt the waters, the baby's head moved upward (back inside me!) and within the hour I had regressed to 7.5 dialation! I couldn't believe my luck!

At that point, I tried a shower...then sat on the toilet for a few rushes...then into the birthing pool...then out for a walk. By 6 pm, I had made no further progress...we were all sooooo tired. I think that we all expected the baby to be born by this time. None of us had really slept in a whole day or more. I had not eaten for so long that I was simply losing my strength and composure. Ellen made the call around 6 pm to head to the hospital.

I was dismayed that I had to make the move to the hospital, but knew that it was in my best interest. I had never, in my life, been to the hospital before...I feared the little things like the sterility...iv's...all the unnatural possibilities. I tried to block out the fear as we headed the 20 miles to Marquette General.

Once at the hospital, both Matthew and I were on the verge of tears. We had, really, not considered having to transport. I had no fear prior to my labor...didn't think in my wildest dreams that I would be giving birth away from home. HOwever, once we let our worries fly, things came together quite nicely.

My dr. came in and broke my water...gave me an hour...then returned to stick me on the pitocin. Pitocin is truly the PITS as they say...it made my rushes slam one on top of the other. AFter an hour of the pit. drip, my dr. called in the OB on call and asked about a c-section. She had another patient in progress and told the dr. to give me another hour. By the time that hour had passed...I FINALLY felt the urge to push.

So, I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed for like 3 hours (perhaps more...) I begged the dr. for oil on my perineum...to massage...then finally for an episiotomy. EVeryone had been claiming that they could see the baby's head for so long...and it felt like I was so far from actually birthing this baby. He countered my episiotomy request with an offer of suctioning...I took it. I will never do that again...it hurt SO badly! So, the baby was suctioned to a certain point...then I ripped (3rd degree tear)...then I asked, again for the episiotomy, and he gave it to me. So, I pushed and pushed and pushed some more...and FINALLY, the baby's head was out! In a matter of seconds, the rest of his body slipped out. I peaked over at Matty as Casimir was born, and I knew from the tears in his eyes that this baby had really entered our lives. It was beautiful! He seemed so big! so serene as they laid him upon my chest. He didn't cry, just looked up at me...at us...with the eyes of an old soul.

Today, Casimir began to lose his hair...he is nearly a month old! I couldn't be more delighted each day to have him in my life!!!
#122 of 1579 Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Welcome little Casimir and Congrats new Mama! It only gets sweeter with time so enjoy!
#123 of 1579 Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Welcome little Casimir and Congrats new Mama! It only gets sweeter with time so enjoy!
#124 of 1579 Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 PM

russianthistle, I love birth stories! Congrats on your sweet babe and triumphant birth
#125 of 1579 Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 PM

Yooper,
We are having a gymnastics class for 2-3 year olds, if you're interested, PM or e-mail me for details.
#126 of 1579 Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! I can't believe how you avoided a C/S--good for you! Definitely a triumphant birth. Way to go!
#127 of 1579 Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 AM

The snow is melted, the air is warming and the flowers are starting to bloom. Spring is FINALLY here thank God!!!!!

Wishing all you yoopers a Happy Easter!
#128 of 1579 Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 PM

I have a tulip opened and ready for business for the few bees who can brave the breeze.
When do my lilacs bloom here?
It's our first spring....
LLL is Monday at 6:00 for all you Keweenaw mamas.
#129 of 1579 Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Just found and am reviving this thread. I've lived in Houghton and the Soo and am now back in Marquette (my hometown). Of course dh and I both have master degrees with no real jobs...but atleast we are up here!

Say No to the Sulfide Mining!!!!
#130 of 1579 Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qerratsmom
Say No to the Sulfide Mining!!!!
: : :

We're heading up to Big Bay Oct 14th! Can't wait... We have property up there on Bear Lake. We were up for Labor Day on ds's very first camping trip! I hate having to come back downstate... Eventually our trips up there will become more frequent and we'll just end up never leaving.

How are the colors? Anything yet?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#131 of 1579 Old 09-14-2006, 03:12 PM

The colors are starting to change.....its really been nice. Everyone's getting their woodstoves ready.
#132 of 1579 Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I was there for a week over Labor Day (in Hancock visiting my mom) and it was SO nice... slightly warm days and nights perfect for sleeping! Ahhhh... I'm so homesick...
#133 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Yes, indeed the colors are changing...I am thinking that this next week will begin the peak in my neck of the woods. I live between Munising and Marquette in the collection of people called Deerton.

I'm not sure if the colors will hang in there until Oct. 14...it's getting so cold.

Bear Lake is bee-yooo-tee-ful!!!! What a great place! My partner grew up on Saux Head Lake (where his parents still live). I will get the lowdown on the colors there, if you'd live

Thanks for reviving this thread! I need to get in touch with like-minded mamas here. I have a lot of friends in the area, but few mama-friends, esp. the kind that do things like eat organically,cloth diaper, breastfeed, and co-sleep.
#134 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know where Deerton is! We drive by it every time on the way up/back!
#135 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Hi. The Cincinnati pox post got me thinking. If someone finds anyone with the pox in the U.P. (who are willing to share), please let us all know Winter is a good time for the pox
#136 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Hey Russionthistle, Have you attended any of the LLL meetings in Mqt? Its a good place to meet like minded moms. I plan on attending some this fall. My kids are 4 (ds) and 18 mo (dd). Ds finally weened this past winter.
#137 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
I will get the lowdown on the colors there, if you'd like .
That would be awesome!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#138 of 1579 Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 PM

We'd like the pox too
#139 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM

I have not been to any LLL meetings, yet...have thought about it, tho'. I will look into getting more info about those meetings. What a great idea, thanks!
#140 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Hi-
Just moved to the UP because husband accepted a job offer here. We live in Newberry.

Are there any mamas from around this area? I see lots of you are from the Marquette area...that's about 2 hours from here I'm told.

Being away from all my family and friends is really, really hard. We still get home (Gaylord) on the weekends, but the weeks are really long. If it weren't for MDC or I'd be going nuts right now!

So if there's anybody by Newberry out there, please let me know! I'd love to meet/chat with you!
#141 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 PM

Welcome mackenziesmama! Your kids are close to the ages of my two. I'm in Marquette but have lived in the Soo which is about an hour from you. I think they are trying to start a LLL there. Somewhere there was a mama (I can't remember if its this thread) who is living in Grand Marais, I think thats not too far from Newberry (maybe an hour)? I know it can be isolating when you don't know anyone. I moved to the Soo when I was pregnant with #2 and I was very lonely for awhile. There are some very cool yooper moms around, you just have to find us!
#142 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info Qerratsmom! I will have to get in contact with someone regarding the possibility of LLL in the Soo. I thought I might just go up there for a day anyway and see what I can find. Seems like everything is at least an hour a way. An hour to the Soo, two hours to Marquette, 2 1/2 hours to Escanba, 2 hours to Gaylord. It is very, very hard to be away!!

Thanks for listening to me whine!
#143 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM

timneh mom, you are in big trouble for not telling us you were in town over labor day...I told you, you are our matriarch!! Don't come to Houghton again without visiting our playgroup

Welcome new mamas to the yooper thread and thanks for reviving it.
We have stunning fall colors starting here in the Keweenaw, the hills are a rainbow of yummy autumn-ness. My pumpkins need more time to turn orange though...let's hope the frost continues to hold off for a few more weeks.
#144 of 1579 Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Marquette LLL meets the last Tuesday of the month at 2:00 pm in the Peter White Library (according to the website). I've not been, but did notice their awesome bulletin board at the Marquette Children's Museum. Have fun talking BF!
#145 of 1579 Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 PM

Just took a ride to Mqt. Noticed a great change in colors on the way back. The colors are just beginning to look nearly brilliant. It was COLD a couple of nights ago, so I think that it why the quickening. It will be gorgeous at the end of next week.

It is truly the end of summer. It is past my b-day, grey everyday; everything green is in the midst of metamorphosis, and the woodstove is back in vogue.

I am in absolute heaven!

k,;l l ":?-
":';? vc v bg uhbmjn bn b*& IN BI8 v
--this is what Casimir wrote...it was his first time typing.

Thanks for the info on LLL. I was thinking about going this Tues.

A bit of chat...
I turned 30 this past Sat. I can feel it already, and I know I will love 30. Today, I pulled back my hair, ever so neatly, and took the " FABRIC ONLY" scissors, and chopped ten and a half inches from my hair. It was an immediately satisfying thing to do! I feel refreshed and renewed, like I am temporarily a different person. Wow!
#146 of 1579 Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Hi mackenziesmama,
I have met this mama in Grand Marais and she is super! I think that she posted under a post that was searching for mama in her area. I was considering moving to Munising, but no longer am. I live about an hour and a half from Newberry. One great part of Newberry in the fall are the amazing colors at Tahquamenon Falls. It is not a difficult hike....definitely worth the time in all seasons, really.

Also, Newberry is relatively close to the mouth of the river that Hemingway based "The Big Two Hearted River" on. I don't care for Hemingway in the least, but it is gorgeous out there.

Gotta go, baby cries!
#147 of 1579 Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Happy fall everyone!
#148 of 1579 Old 09-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post

Today, I pulled back my hair, ever so neatly, and took the " FABRIC ONLY" scissors, and chopped ten and a half inches from my hair. !
I felt like doing this today!
#149 of 1579 Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Oh and Happy Birthday!
#150 of 1579 Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziesmama View Post
Thanks for the info Qerratsmom! I will have to get in contact with someone regarding the possibility of LLL in the Soo. I thought I might just go up there for a day anyway and see what I can find. Seems like everything is at least an hour a way. An hour to the Soo, two hours to Marquette, 2 1/2 hours to Escanba, 2 hours to Gaylord. It is very, very hard to be away!!

Thanks for listening to me whine!
HI MackenziesMama,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page