Yooper Mamas, Say Ya to da UP, EH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1579 Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if there is a thread for us yet! I haven't lived in the UP for 7 years now, but to me that is still home and always will be! I'm from Houghton, lived there all my life until DH finished grad school at MTU and we came down to the Saginaw area. If anyone else here is from that area, doesn't the Keweenaw Co-op ROCK? Both my parents still live up there and we go back as much as we can so they can get to know DS. I'm a Finnish girl too! Just wondering who else here is from there!
#2 of 1579 Old 11-04-2005, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody??
#3 of 1579 Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 AM

I just had to post so your thread get's a reply!

Sorry, I've been in the Metro Detroit area all my life.
#4 of 1579 Old 11-07-2005, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to both the UP and to this site. I live close to the co-op and go almost every day! This site is overwhelming and wonderful, wow! How do you get around it and when will it snow? After months of folks talking up the weather, I sure haven't seen much action yet....We sure love the area though, love the people, the fresh air, multitudes of trees and MTU preschool.
#5 of 1579 Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM

I'm a displaced Yooper right now. I grew up in the UP near Menominee, Michigan and lived there for 19 years. Then my husband joined the Air Force and now we live in IL. We have been talking about moving to Sault St. Marie when his 4 year term is up, so he can attend LSSU. I'm glad to see other Yoopers on here!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#6 of 1579 Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM

My brother and I both lived and went to school there (he went to MTU, I went to NMU). There really is no place on earth like the UP. My suite mate at Nordern told me of a saying that the Up'ers have, and I think it's really perfect. It goes something like, "God created the UP, and on the 8th day, God created the bridge so that the trolls could get to heaven." It really is heaven. Clean air, clean water, nature, the sound of the wind in the pines...

Don't ask when it's going to snow. Because, when it does, it's going to snow for a very long time. Not that that's bad, but you can get a little tired of wet sand in your carpet and grey sky. But, I suppose that is just Michigan, isn't it? Doesn't really matter which part. And the rest of the experience makes it worth it to me! If there was an economy that supported us up there, we'd move back in a heartbeat.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 1579 Old 11-07-2005, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yooper here... Mrs. Redhotmama told me of this thread I wanted to add that I am up here too- but my tag line for location says that.

Love that we have no traffic, love that we have great mamas here, tons of stuff to do for the family. I love my friends, love the weather- however winter and gray skies can be kinda long... Don't worry Mrs. Red hot the snow is on its way. We are at our ugly season right now (at least that is what I call it) it happends 2 times a year- right before snow and right after the snow melts.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when it didn't snow and didn't snow and then we got plowed between the middle of Dec- the start of Jan we got over 100 inches of snow??? Don't worry it is on its way and get the yooper scooper ready...

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#8 of 1579 Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 PM

And the skis and the snow machines...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 1579 Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

HAHA about the 100 inches in January... I was a kid when we had our record year, almost 400 inches! I think I was 9 years old! It was insane!!
#10 of 1579 Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 PM

This is a great site:

http://johndee.com/

you have to go to historical snowfalls and then scroll a bit- but this guy lives in Lake Linden and has cool photos and such...

Here is a good place to see photos of all seasons day by day her in the UP
http://www.pasty.com/cam

Here are some classic ones:
http://pasty.com/discuss/messages/2392/2450.html

Look at this photo- this is Calumet- see the buildings that touch eachother and the one on the left- the lager one- DH and had a purchase agreement on that. We ended up backing out- the guy was kinda a crook (sp) but it was a really HUGE building and really neat.
http://pasty.com/discuss/messages/2392/2453.html

Here is a good one of Houghton!
http://pasty.com/discuss/messages/2392/2453.html

It is on its way...

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

#11 of 1579 Old 11-10-2005, 07:45 AM

I currently live downstate, but went to school at Enema U. My husband and I brought property in Big Bay last year, and get up several times a year. We are hoping to build a structure within a year or two, and our dream is to move back up.

We do the Hiawatha Music Fest in Marquette every year....great scene!

Say NO TO SULFIDE MINING!!! Check it out if you haven't www.ydeaglescry.com

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#12 of 1579 Old 11-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Today it snowed, but the fat flakes did not stick. I visited StuffMart and bought the biggest, longest, fanciest windshield scraper in the world. This thing has so many options, I half expect it to read Pat the Bunny to my daughter!
#13 of 1579 Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM

DH and I met and got married while attending NMU in the 90's. You have the right idea Carrin...buying property up there is what we plan on doing after our 15 year house mortgage is totally paid up (in another 13 years). We get up to visit Marquette at least four times per year. The six hour drive (we now live in Midland) with three kids is totally worth it. Hiawatha Music Fest, the UP200 and skiing at Blueberry Ridge, summertime out at Wetmore Landing (when the flies can drive you crazy!), the Presque Isle cabins on Harlow Lake in October...we love all the seasons, and the people, up there. The Marquette Food Co-op is to die for, too.

We would move up there, but would have to be really lucky (or have some great connections) to get a job at either NMU or the hospital. We have a good friend who has chosen to stay in Mqt., and has a Master's degree from NMU, but has had a devil of a time finding a job. I guess we'll have to wait a while to get back up there permanently...
#14 of 1579 Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Yooper here too! I also live by Co-op and redhotmama. Calling for snow storm starting tomorrow and lasting into the next day. It is time we start getting some snow we have been way spoiled with all this nice weather we have been having!
Look out redhotmama here it comes!
#15 of 1579 Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 AM

Check out our weather http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...nav_undeclared

Brrrrr........ Karl (on TV 6) says that we may even get down under 10 degrees

I am cold, I should get into bed with DD and keep her little sickly butt warm but on a good note, she is looking better....

Okay- I am kinda excited to see the first real snow fall.... But don't talk about snow to me come the end of Jan! k~

#16 of 1579 Old 11-15-2005, 10:52 AM

I miss it! I tell people that I want to move back up there, and they always say stuff like "what about the winters, don't they get a ton of snow up there, isn't it freezing?" Well, yeah, but at least you have snow so you can do stuff in the winter (snowshoe, snowmachines, snowmen, etc...) Downstate, it is usually just grey and gross....to me, that is depressing.

Kara, you go to all the places we do. Making me "home" sick. We too have friends who managed higher degrees and have stayed or gone back up. They seem to have a different type of peacefulness about them. I understand why. All of you who live up there permanantly, please realize how lucky you really are!

#17 of 1579 Old 11-15-2005, 12:57 PM

Here is our weather today....

KEWEENAW-NORTHERN HOUGHTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COPPER HARBOR...HOUGHTON...HANCOCK 428 AM EST TUE NOV 15 2005
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MARQUETTE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

EXPECT PATCHY LIGHT SNOW AND RAIN THIS AFTERNOON TO BECOME A WET...HEAVY SNOW THIS EVENING. THE SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE 6 TO 10 INCHES TONIGHT BEFORE TRANSITIONING TO LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS ON WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW SHOWERS WILL ACCUMULATE ANOTHER 4 TO 6 INCHES BEFORE BECOMING SCATTERED IN THE EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS LIKELY OVER HIGHER TERRAIN FROM PAINESDALE TO CALUMET AND PHOENIX. NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 45 MPH ON WEDNESDAY WILL FURTHER REDUCE VISIBILITY AND MAKE TRAVEL PARTICULARLY DIFFICULT.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

#18 of 1579 Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 PM

I always forget to come to the finding your tribe threads......

OK, so where are all of you near-the-co-op dwelling folks? I live in Houghton....near-da-Hardees Yes, the co-op rocks. I have lived in other areas that are suppose to be more progressive and have never seen a better one.

I have been here for a total of 12 years. I like it but we might be moving soon Dh is unemployed and may not find anything here.
#19 of 1579 Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 PM

Ok, guys I've shovelled three times today and you can't even tell, but that yooper scooper is a dream (if you can say such a thing about a shovel!) It's beautiful! Dd's are loving playing in it although baby is not sure about the flakes falling down. She keeps yelling at me and pointing out the window but she does not have a word yet for snow so she says "DAAA!" I ordered the big coat and boots for oldest dd from Land's End but they don't arrive till Friday. My great neighbor loaned us her son's boots from last year. All the snow angels have extra long bottom wings
#20 of 1579 Old 11-16-2005, 08:12 PM

This is nothing yet. Dh was so disappointed this morning. I keep telling him over and over that they lie on the "winter strom warnings" to get more traffic on the weather channel website. After 12 years you would think he would learn. We did not even have to drag out the snowblower yet. Probably in the morning.

If you find you need more winter gear for your kids, Surplus Outlet in Houghton has some great stuff on sale right now. I got last year's model of snowpants for half price and some great boots for dd for $29 which is pretty good for decent boots.
#21 of 1579 Old 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM

#22 of 1579 Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm a troll (for non-Michiganders, that means I live "under the bridge" :LOL ), but have an appreciation for the UP. My father's family was Finnish and immigrated through Copper Harbor several generations ago. I have no particular interest in moving up there, as there is no industry for me to work in, but it is lovely to visit occasionally (I guess that just makes me an annoying tourist).

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#23 of 1579 Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Carrin,

We should arrange to meet in person at Hiawatha next summer! We've probably seen each other there and just haven't realized it.

Happy Hiawatha!

Kara
#24 of 1579 Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks yoopervegan, I wish I'd talked to you before I spent $160 at Land's End! It is so pretty out with all the frosted trees. You said you dh is looking for work...what does he do?

P.S.
To all you BF yooper mamas, The Keweenaw now has a new La Leche League group that meets in the evenings the second Thursday of each month. Come out in December and help us celebrate the new La Leche League of Portage Lake! Spread the word and come get support and encouragement for breastfeeding.
#25 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 12:36 AM

I saw on weather channel they have BLIZZARD warning starting tomorrow night into Thursday night!!!!
We will just have to wait and see what comes our way.
#26 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Will crayon brave the 10 miles to my house for turkey?
#27 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Please- I am a yooper all the way... I will walk in the blizzard to get some of that cookin' I am there baby- no fear....

I think it is too exciting that we will be having a blizzard on Thanksgiving... yeppie, I can't wait!!!!

#28 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Yoopervegan- hey girl... I was going to ask what your DH does too... I know you said he graduated from Tech but I can't remember what his business was. I didn't know you moved to Houghton- very cool... I wish I was in houghton or hancock... Yooper, redhotmama is a LLL Leader, and stared the new group- she rocks.... I don't think we will be having "issues" anymore. This new group rocks I know you feel/felt my pain mama- and I had your back too!

Quote:
I have lived in other areas that are suppose to be more progressive and have never seen a better one.
Yep, I feel the same way too!

redhotmama- yoopervegan is the person that Kelly says makes the best hummus.... Care to share yooper?

#29 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM

Darn, dh and I were going to come up to Big Bay for several days, but figured we wouldn't because there wasn't much snow. All we're getting down here in mid-troll land is about 1-3 inches, and it's coming REALLY slow. I WANT LOTS OF SNOW!!!!!!!

Stay warm up there you lucky chicks!

#30 of 1579 Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Hi!

I would not be too worried about the blizzard. It might be nasty but the road crews here are AWESOME. And they usually overblow the whole snowfall predictions anyway.

We are having a getting-bigger-by-the-day Tday feast. Originally we had a grand total of 3 guests coming. The head count is 12+ at this point. All of our friends that were planning to travel out of town cancelled their plans and are now coming to our place for a vegan feast.

No hummus though. I am actually going to skip it for the first time ever. You really need to see it being made to understand how to make it. It cannot be written out. That was the clause I agreed to when SIL passes on her slecial recipe to me. Anyway, perhaps we should have a cooking party?

My dh has a degree in ME. He has been working as an engineering manager for the last 4-5 years or so.

Yeah, I need to know more about this LLL thing. I have not been to a meeting in over a year but am still bfing so would be open to going depending on when it is.

Anyway, keep warm and Happy Tday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page