Mothering Forum banner

Groups and Gatherings : Ohio

9K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  LLLHeather 
#1 ·
I am copying Mary3Mamas Idea from Indiana!

Please put the name of your Group or Gathering and the town or city in the subject heading.

And all the rest of the information in the body. I look forward to seeing what is going on in Ohio!

It will be so nice to have all this info in one place!

Moderator can you "Sticky" this. Thanks

#2 ·
Dar a Luz Network is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing every woman opportunities for knowledge, power, and support in her pregnancy and birthing process.

We are committed to offering information on a broad range of pregnancy, birthing and family care topics, support through our monthly meetings, and helping every woman feel confident in her ability to birth her babies in the way that makes her most comfortable. www.daraluznetwork.com

Kettering
1st Tuesday, 7:00 PM

@christ united church
please call for info about meeting
Jeanna266-5336

#4 ·
Great idea Devon (even if borrowed!)

Here is the info for the Cincy Attachment Parenting International (API) meetings:

Are you all having meetings?

Yes! We meet on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 4pm
at a local library. The meeting dates for the rest of
2007 are:
* SEP 8 @ Westwood
* OCT 13 @ Westwood
* NOV 10 @ Westwood
* DEC 8 @ Westwood

> We are up here in Dayton and I'd love
> to come down for one...

We'd love to have you!
I'm including some
directions for you:
Westwood Library meeting room is easily accessible off
of I-74's Montana Av exit. From Dayton, I think you'd
just come 75 S to 74 W to Montana Av exit, left out of
exit onto Montana Ave, go up the hill until you reach
the intersection of Montana & Epworth. The library is
a white building w/ a red sign on the left-hand side,
park in the parking lot.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/2ploft

#5 ·
RESOLVE Support Groups are free, informal peer groups that typically meet each month. These meetings offer the chance to gather, share and listen to others experiencing similar conflicts with infertility.

www.resolve.org

Dayton
When: 1st Tue of each month

Time: 7:00pm

Where: Kettering-Moraine Library, 3496 Far Hills Avenue in Kettering.

For additional information please contact Carol at resolveofdayton@yahoo.com

Ohio Helpline 1-800-414-6446 your call will be returned in 48hrs.

#6 ·
Dar a Luz Network is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing every woman opportunities for knowledge, power, and support in her pregnancy and birthing process.

We are committed to offering information on a broad range of pregnancy, birthing and family care topics, support through our monthly meetings, and helping every woman feel confident in her ability to birth her babies in the way that makes her most comfortable.

www.daraluznetwork.com

Xenia
2nd Monday, 7:00pm
upstairs meeting room at the Xenia Public Library,
76 E. Market Street
Xenia, OH 45385

Bethany 376-0304

#7 ·
La Leche League was founded to give information and encouragement, mainly through personal help, to all mothers who want to breastfeed their babies. While complementing the care of the physician and other health care professionals, LLL recognizes the unique importance of one mother helping another. La Leche League Leaders are trained, experienced mothers who have nursed their own children and volunteer their time to help other mothers breastfeed their babies.

DAYTON CHAPTER PHONE & PUMP INFORMATION
Taped Message 463-2030

www.llli.org

CENTERVILLE & SURROUNDING AREAS
3rd Tues., 7:00 pm, Jan. - Oct.
2nd Tues., 7:00 pm, Nov. & Dec.
Linda439-2031
Beth (513) 932-0938
Christian743-2829
Shannon866-6049
Jackie436-0337

EAST DAYTON/KETTERING
2nd Tues., 7:00 pm
Heather253-0162
Stacey253-6113
Geneva 256-8367

NORTHWEST DAYTON
2nd Tues., 12:00 pm
Linda 439-2031
Geneva 256-8367
Ann 294-4609

SOUTH SUBURBAN
1st Thurs., 10:00 am
Ann294-4609
Karen299-3290

#9 ·
Interested in supporting breastfeeding women? Register for the Quintessence Breastfeeding Challenge 2007! All that is needed is at least one breastfeeding mother and child. Anyone can register a site & it costs nothing! If you know at least one breastfeeding mother invite her to ask a breastfeeding friend and take part. If two or three mothers each ask a friend, they can gather to share coffee and be counted in! The Challenge takes place on September 29th with "latch on" occurring at 11am. Last year, there were 158 sites with over 4,724 babies. It's easy, it's cheap and it makes a point -- Breastfeeding and donor milk banking is important! We are calling all women in North America to support this effort! Register a site or just pass the message onto a friend who might be interested. Dial up www.babyfriendly.ca for more information. Be counted in as supporting women's choice to breastfeed their children!

I registered Dayton...now I need some people to join me and some ideas of where to do it! I put my contact info on the registration page...go there to get it. A park? A mall? A coffee shop? A restaurant?

#10 ·
ICAN of Greater Cincinnati is very proud to announce
that we will be sponsoring a sneak preview of Ricki
Lake's upcoming documentary "The Business of Being
Born" right here in our area!

What: Special Benefit Screening of "The Business of
Being Born"
When: November 17th
Time: Movie begins at 10:30am, Panel Discussion begins
at noon.
Where: Mariemont Theatre, 6906 Wooster Pike, Mariemont
Cost: Free; suggested donation of $8 per person at the
door

Please help us spread the word about this important
one-time-only event!

All donations will go toward helping ICAN of Greater
Cincinnati expand our outreach efforts in the
Cincinnati and Norther Kentucky areas, and will help
us defray the costs of bringing this film to our area.

The concession stand will be open for our screening.
If you've never been to the Mariemont Theatre, they
offer some unusual and delicious concession choices!

For more information about "The Business of Being
Born", you can visit the website at
www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com

For more information about ICAN, visit
www.ican-online.org

#11 ·
Lets all car pool if we can to the "The Business of Being Born" in Cincinnati.

We can all meet at the office were Dar a Luz Kettering meets at 9am so we have time to get there.

Comprehensive Health
(Lamplighter Plaza)
5563 Far Hills Ave.

Let me know if you can come and if you can drive

Devon
937-241-5954

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by devy View Post
ICAN of Greater Cincinnati is very proud to announce
that we will be sponsoring a sneak preview of Ricki
Lake's upcoming documentary "The Business of Being
Born" right here in our area!

What: Special Benefit Screening of "The Business of
Being Born"
When: November 17th
Time: Movie begins at 10:30am, Panel Discussion begins
at noon.
Where: Mariemont Theatre, 6906 Wooster Pike, Mariemont
Cost: Free; suggested donation of $8 per person at the
door

Please help us spread the word about this important
one-time-only event!

All donations will go toward helping ICAN of Greater
Cincinnati expand our outreach efforts in the
Cincinnati and Norther Kentucky areas, and will help
us defray the costs of bringing this film to our area.

The concession stand will be open for our screening.
If you've never been to the Mariemont Theatre, they
offer some unusual and delicious concession choices!

For more information about "The Business of Being
Born", you can visit the website at
www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com

For more information about ICAN, visit
www.ican-online.org

I wanna come, but I will have a little bitty baby.
But BIG HUGE
for having a little bitty baby! hehe.

#17 ·
Dayton Meeting for Ohio Families for Safe Birth

Ohio Families for Safe Birth Initiatives is a consumer-driven effort to create a statewide coalition to promote policies and legislation which support families' access to safe, appropriate, evidence based care during pregnancy, labor and delivery. Our goals include (1) Supporting legislation that licenses Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) in Ohio; (2) Raising awareness and support for families choosing an out of hospital birth as a safe, appropriate option; and (3) Supporting safe family and baby initiatives in all birth settings."

OFSB evolved out of a tri-state homebirth support group and has picked up steam with the recent raid on Jerren's Helwig's house and expected criminal charges and legal battle to follow. The local homebirth community is rightly interested in supporting Jerren both personally and financially through this crisis. The legal battle will be extremely costly and how it is handled, outcome, and media coverage will, even if it does not set a damaging legal precedent, have serious potential impact in the "court of public opinion."

Please support Jerren and families' rights to birth choice by attending the Dayton chapter of OFSB's inaugural meeting this Sunday, October 21, from 4-6 pm at Panera Bread at the Fairfield Commons Mall in Beavercreek, Ohio. Volunteers are needed for fundraising, taking legislative action (ie, writing letters to newspapers and politicians), and for public relations. Even if you are unsure how you can help in these areas, your presence at the meeting could make a difference.

#19 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Tiffany, and I am a member of the newly formed Central Ohio Parent's Space. We were formerly Beautiful Columbus Moms, but since we decided to welcome dads to the group and have members from all around Central Ohio, we thought a new name and board location would be appropriate. We are a progressive, supportive group of moms and dads who get together for weekly playgroups and monthly parent's night out. We chit chat on our bulletin board daily, and our children range from newborn to preteen.

If you're looking for a fun group of parents and children, look no further! Email us at parentsspace@yahoo.com and we'll send you a link to our board.

We look forward to hearing from you!

#20 ·

We are committed to offering information on a broad range of pregnancy, birthing and family care topics, support through our monthly meetings, and helping every woman feel confident in her ability to birth her babies in the way that makes her most comfortable. www.daraluznetwork.com

Troy Chapter
last Tuesday of the month
7 pm
YMCA Miami County- Robinson Branch
St. Rt, 25A just off I-75
Troy@daraluznetwork.com

#21 ·
Hey all,
I am going to host a Diaper swap
on March 2nd at Kneading Time. The exact time is yet to be determined... it will be in the afternoon, please check posts later.
You are invited to bring any dipes you would like to sell or trade, and of course you can come just to buy also!

Please bring items already marked with your asking price; include any accessories like wet bags, snappis, etc. also maked with prices. Bring your check book or lots of small bills for ease of financial transactions.

We have plenty of hip cd'ing mommas out there who would love to help you grow your stash as well as sell off their unused item in order to buy more... it's so addictive!!! Of course, helpful tips and useful information will be running amuck as well as our babies, Yes kids are welcome as long as you keep an active eye on them (Kneading Time is not completey childproofed).
This event will bo a co-operative effort by all. Invite anyone you think might be interested, all are welcome!

Kneading Time is located at 5702 West Alexis in Sylvania, Ohio about 1/4 mile east of US 23. 419-885-8780

#22 ·
La Leche League of the Dayton area is holding some special meetings over the coming months. We have been fortunate to get Tracey Merkle, area nutrition expert, to come and do 4 lectures which are always informative. Here's the schedule:

Feb. 26-Dairy and Soy and the problems with them w/Tracey Merkle
March 25- Couples meeting
April 29- Allergy Season w/Tracey Merkle
May 27- Ear infections, colic, and thrush w/Tracey Merkle
June 24- Toddler meeting
August 26- Pre/post natal nutrition and the introduction of solids w/Tracey Merkle

The meetings with Tracey will begin at 7:00pm at Corinth Presbyterian Church. The Couples and Toddlers meetings will begin at 6:00pm and will be a potluck of some kind; I will post more details about this later. These meetings are open to dads or anyone else that is interested in these topics.

If you would like to attend a meeting that Tracey is lecturing on an RSVP is requested. Please call the Back to Health Center office at 433-3241 to let them know you plan to attend so that enough handouts can be available.

For directions or more information please pm me.

#23 ·
Mother's Milk & More!

Stop in with your baby and meet with other breastfeeding mothers to:
Have your baby weighed
Ask questions
Share ideas and concerns

*toddlers and other young children are welcome!

The support group is held every Thursday
1:00 pm- 2:30 pm
Family Birth Center -Wilson Memorial Hospital
915 W. Michigan St.
Sidney, OH 45365

group is facilitated by Sharon Smart, RN, IBCLC

(937)498-5434
ssmart@wilsonhospital.com

#24 ·

Ladies!

La Leche League of Dayton is having our third Breastfeeding Celebration on Friday May 9 at 6:00 pm at Delco Park in Kettering. We are very excited and have lots of great donations that we will be holding a silent auction and raffle for. Some of the items include: a one year supply of Organic Valley milk, Baby Trekker carrier, gifts from Hyland's, Milk Diapers, MotherEase, Mothering Magazine, MotherLove Herbal, Pamela's Products, Blue Turtle Toys, Olympia Health Foods, Trader Joe's, plus too many others to mention, including several baby slings. This will be a fun family event with refreshments and door prizes. A playground is right by the picnic shelter so bring the family, including dads, and get some great stuff for Mother's Day while supporting La Leche League's mission of helping mothers breastfeed their babies. All funds raised will support local Groups.

#25 ·
Ladies,

If you are looking for something fun to do with your families tonight stop out at the La Leche League Breastfeeding Celebration at Delco Park in Kettering! We have the Mayor coming to sign a proclamation making May 9, 2008 La Leche League Day, Kettering's Police and Fire Departments coming with a squad car and fire truck, and lots of great things that we have to raffle and auction off. The Celebration is from 5-8 at the picnic shelter!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.