Dayton Mama's 2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 364 Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody worked with Dr. Beth Duvall or anyone in her practice? Share with the rest of the class!
#122 of 364 Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognito View Post
future MIL
weddings!?! oh, I can't wait! (not for the MIL part, I've heard stories )

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#123 of 364 Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM

We see the Docs at Cornerstone in Springboro. I like them a lot. They don't seem to have any problems with us making informed choices for our child.I also like that the doctors just talk to us on the same level they don't seem to talk down to us.
#124 of 364 Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 PM

We see Dr. Eberhart at Cornerstone. He has been really awesome with my kids, supportive of extended nursing and doesn't mind that we don't vaccinate. We saw Dr. Ellis the last time for my 6 year old's well check and again she just noted that the chart says we don't vax, I confirmed and that was the end of it. And I agree with Devy, they don't talk down to me and they will take as long as we need and listen.
Recently my son has been diagnosed with a speech delay and the office was super quick about getting the forms to Dr. E to sign and fax back to the speech therapist. It made getting him into therapy go smoothly.
#125 of 364 Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
weddings!?! oh, I can't wait! (not for the MIL part, I've heard stories )
We're in no rush so don't go baking cakes or anything just yet. We'll get to it eventually. I just don't want to deal with all the paperwork. I hate paperwork! You already know that though.
#126 of 364 Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM

Hi All!
Anyone have any recomendations for midwives in Dayton? We're currently looking at Dr Guy & Midwives (lisa mix & Margaret McCarthy) We want to use the birthing center at the valley. Anyone have any experience with them?
#127 of 364 Old 06-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjenn View Post
Hi All!
Anyone have any recomendations for midwives in Dayton? We're currently looking at Dr Guy & Midwives (lisa mix & Margaret McCarthy) We want to use the birthing center at the valley. Anyone have any experience with them?
I don't personally, but I know many who've said they've had really great experiences with them. My backup doctor is Dr. Horlacher and he is REALLY great! He uses the brithing center there, too. Actually, Dr Horlacher and Dr. Guy use each oher as backups for the birthing center. They both seem to be very natural/realxed-birth friendly.

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#128 of 364 Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAprilMay View Post
Does everybody know someone who works there? Seriously! My friend's cousin works in the office, too. She was asking if I was interested in getting free gift cards or something by participating in one of their studies. :Yeah, that will happen. Give me a $10 WalMart gift card and I'll let you test a meningitis vax on my baby.
I wish we lived that close, especially with gas prices.

That meningitis vax study irks me! We do vax, but my baby isn't a guinea pig. What made me more annoyed is that it was grandma giving us the info! We already stay in the office for an extra 30min or so to watch for reactions. They know I'm not fully vaccinated due to alleries. Why would I want to experiment?

They always ask us about carseats. It's on their checklist of things to ask at well checks. Milo was 20# at 9mo & the NP said make sure to keep him RFing til 1yo. I told her he would be RFing longer than that since our seats go to 35#. Then she argued that we only have to do it til 1yo so why do it longer. : They only give the bare minimum requirements by law & never discuss best practice.

It's weird they ask us about different things. They never ask about sleep training, just if he sleeps on his back in his own bed. I just say yes. We're part time co-sleepers. If somebody doesn't feel good, needs snuggled or is scared of thunder, then they can camp out with us for a while.

I find myself fibbing more & more often. Really, I go to them for medical stuff & keep tabs on growth curves. My 18mo still gets a bottle once a day, we're not worried about using an open cup, the boys can sleep with us if they need extra attention & we're cautious with new foods. I just tell them the "right" answers to all the questions.

My posts are starting to get long. I think I need more adult interaction.
#129 of 364 Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAprilMay View Post
Give me a $10 WalMart gift card and I'll let you test a meningitis vax on my baby.
IMO a walmart gift card would seal the deal that I wanted nothing to do with that vax. They tried to vax me as an adult when I went to OSU and was living in the dorms.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#130 of 364 Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Ok ladies I need some help.
I have Caresource & a Rx for a pump rental, but I can't find one! So far MedMart, Advanced & Able Care either don't have or don't carry them. MedMart said maybe next week.
I'm googling & calling around, but if any of you know someplace that usually has them in please let me know.
I have 3 Medela pumping kits already so that's not a concern.
Thanks in advance to anyone that has ideas.

I just talked to Geneva at WIC & she's helping me coordinate a possible purchase.
#131 of 364 Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Iamjenn,

I don't know anyone personally, but... the grapevine (repeatedly) tells me to stay away from Lisa Mix and Dr. Guy. If you don't want a homebirth, go with James Horlacher. He only takes pregnant women with private insurance though. I hear Margie is ok.
#132 of 364 Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have Caresource & a Rx for a pump rental, but I can't find one! So far MedMart, Advanced & Able Care either don't have or don't carry them. MedMart said maybe next week.
I'm googling & calling around, but if any of you know someplace that usually has them in please let me know.

I just talked to Geneva at WIC & she's helping me coordinate a possible purchase.
It is very hard to find one. You can call caresource and they will try to help you find one

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#133 of 364 Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipigeon View Post
Iamjenn,

I don't know anyone personally, but... the grapevine (repeatedly) tells me to stay away from Lisa Mix and Dr. Guy. If you don't want a homebirth, go with James Horlacher. He only takes pregnant women with private insurance though. I hear Margie is ok.
I used the midwives with my first pregnancy and had some issues. I switched to Dr. Horlacher/Woods for my 2nd and had an awesome birth at FB. They will take Caresource insurance if you want to use FB. Sometimes you have to be persistent though. My sister is currently with them and on Caresource.

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#134 of 364 Old 06-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Ladies:

I need ideas on where i can purchase baby foods (ie finger foods) that are dairy free.

Our Ped wont come out and say it, but I think DD2 is allergic. She got a piece of DS2's mac n cheese and broke out with red blotches. A week later she found one of his yogurt wrappers and her breaking out was much larger and worse (entire mouth area instead of just a few spots, was also down a bit on the chest, her knuckles that came into contact with the yogurt, and she also started to get little hive like bumps in the red spots). There were things also early on, that lead me to become almost completely dairy free in my diet.

But she is really enjoying some finger foods now - mostly teething biscuits. But everyone I have found except the occassional box of Nabisco at Big Lots has dairy in them.

She is also not a huge fan of baby foods yet...she would rather have the bowl and spoon and food to make artwork all over herself, the floor and her clothes.
Google baby led weaning or the Rappley method. This is what we are using in introducing solid foods with Luke

#135 of 364 Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmichelle View Post
Hi- I am new to the board and live in South Dayton. Can anyone recommend a good pediatrician who is ok with delayed vaxing?
We see Dr Arthungal with Good Samaritan Peds in Huber Heights. She has been great wrt vaccs, bf, no circ etc

#136 of 364 Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipigeon View Post
Iamjenn,

Unfortunately you don't get to pick who will have most of your appointments and attend your birth. I specifically asked to have most of my appointments with Margie but they prefer to have you rotate through the three of them. Not that it mattered, since Dr. Woods ended up attending my birth.
#137 of 364 Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

You could try Babies 'n Blessings (Melissa Stricklin, IBCLC) She's in Tipp City. (937)477-9737. I am not sure what pumps she has available?

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#138 of 364 Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

I used Dr. Wood/Horlacher office as well. Then Dr. Horlacher delivered my baby at FB and I had an exellent experience. Highly recommend.
#139 of 364 Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks ladies!

MedMart on Smithville had ones available for sale. Geneva at WIC explained how to get one purchased through insurance. MedMart faxed the paperwork to my doctor & my OB filled it out & faxed it back to them. All I had to do was go pick it up.

I absolutely love it too! I may have a chance at getting my supply back up. It's the one built into the bag with a cooler section. It only takes me 10 minutes vs 30 minutes with my Avent manual (which I still love). Now it's easy to pump every 2 hours.

I'm also meeting with Frankie at Southview tomorrow for a lactation consult. Hopefully I'll be able to get Jareth to latch right. That would be way better than pumping all the time. Anyone have experience with a baby that bites or chomps? He's only 6wks old & he's not teething. I wonder if he picked up bad habits from supplementing & being weak from jaundice. My milk took forever to come in it seemed & he was severely jaundiced. I held off as long as I could with the supplementing.

I found out my dentist is BFing friendly. I went in today with an infection in my gums. He gave me a fax number to have the ped send a list of safe antibiotics. This makes me happy! The nurse practitioner at my OB's office wouldn't even look for a safe antibiotic for me when I was pumping for Milo & I had to pump & dump. Needless to say I complained about her & never see her anymore.

I'm rambling again...

Thanks again ladies.
#140 of 364 Old 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM

When Luke was born he didn't know how to nurse properly. He looked like he was latched right, but he wasn't sucking right. He was chomping. I didn't discover this right away and ended up with seriously sore & infected nipples at 10 days pp. After talking with my ped and a LC I decided to completely take him off the breast and do straight ebm until my nipples could heal. That took about a week or so. I then started trying to get him back to the breast. At this time we still didn't really know why he was causing so much pain, because from the outside everything looked correct. I met with several LCs including Geneva & Linda over the next couple of weeks. We decided that he wasn't sucking properly, but chomping. We had him checked for tongue tie by Dr. Notestine and he was fine. It was the conclusion of the LCs and Dr Notestine that he couldn't use his jaw muscles properly. I started taking him to a chiro - Dr Dunnington. After about 8 visits with the chiro his jaw started loosening up and he was starting to use his jaw. By this time though he was pretty nipple confused. He didn't want to latch more than a couple sucks. After 12 visits at the chiro she said that he should be able to nurse effectively now. So, after reading on kellymom I decided that we needed to get over the nipple confusion. I finally was able to get him to nurse using a nipple shield after about 3 months of being ebm only. I was able to wean him off of the shield when he was about 4 months old and we have been exclusively breastfeeding since then. He is 6.5 months now. At the beginning I didn't ever think we would see the day that he would just latch on to the breast happily and cause no pain. I'm glad I stuck with it. Geneva & Linda should be able to give you names of chiros if it is something you want to look in to. I don't know if it will be cost prohibitive though if they don't take your insurance. It cost us over $500.

I was lucky in that I didn't have supply problems to overcome. I had an overabundant supply and ended up with over 500 oz in the freezer that I have since donated to other moms. Good luck working through this. Have you been able to go in and see Geneva?

#141 of 364 Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenecwalker View Post
I was lucky in that I didn't have supply problems to overcome. I had an overabundant supply and ended up with over 500 oz in the freezer that I have since donated to other moms. Good luck working through this. Have you been able to go in and see Geneva?
Thank you!

You're giving me some hope. I saw Frankie at Southview on Friday. I can't get Geneva to return my calls. I'm thinking she might be really busy since Maria is on leave.

Frankie said everything looked great, but my letdown was too fast. (She accidently got shot when she was checking my breast... oops!) She recommended some new positions with baby more upright. She was thinking that might be causing the problem. He wouldn't chomp while I was there (of course). She suggested spending 24 hours in bed & nursing on demand. I made it 16 hours & am still on the verge of tears. It's like the very tips are blistered. It kinda feels like fresh rugburn. I'm supposed to call to check in tomorrow with how it went. Maybe I can get some help using a shield. I haven't been able to get the hang of it on my own.

I guess I'm back to pumping for now. It is helping me to have the new pump. It's quick & easy to stay on scedule. Plus it has made a slight difference in supply.

I really appreciate you sharing your story.
#142 of 364 Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM

I had a little bit of trouble getting a hold of them also and then I had to wait a couple of weeks to get in to see them. It was a pita. I would just keep trying. Linda also works there which is who I my appointments were with, but she had Geneva come in also since she was a little stumped. My letdown was also very fast and furious which caused issues. Have you been to www.kellymom.com? Also have you been able to get in touch with a La Leche League Leader? They are often more accessible and should be able to give you in person help. If you don't know any let me know and I can give you a contact. What city are you in? The getting in bed and nursing is great for upping supply. They recommended it to me, but like you after a short time I was in serious pain. I would try to stay away from the shield at this time, because it can cause supply issues and since you already have a low supply you don't want to cause even more problems. They also tend to suck on it more like a bottle than a breast. Have you tried any suck training with your finger?

#143 of 364 Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm in Riverside. I'll look into those resources ASAP. I think both my babies have bronchitis. I'm taking them to the ped this morning. DF had it last week. I'm sure with LO's constant coughing it will be better to wait & just pump til he's stronger.

Again, thank you so much! I'm new to all this. I didn't make it far with pumping for my first because I was really sick & didn't know about all the resources available. Now there's a chance at success.
#144 of 364 Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 AM

I think Ian has Chicken Pox. He has about 20 on his scalp, and 10-ish on his back/shoulders/neck. They started as what I thought were bug bites (we were on my mom's farm in Michigan this weekend, so it was plausible) but then got scabby and now are yellow crusty. I started getting suspicious when I realized that he had none on his arms or legs, and he was wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts all weekend, so he should have *some* bites on his arms or legs.

I got really suspicious when I noticed two spots on Connor tonight, I KNOW he didn't have them this weekend, they're on his back along the waistband of his diaper.

I am nearly 100% positive now because I went to talk to the neighbors and both of their girls have a few spots as well. Both neighbor girls had the vaccine and also had confirmed chicken pox last summer (mild case), so I guess they're just the unlucky ones that not only get CP despite the vax, but get it more than once!

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with Connor yet...I'll call his pediatrician and infectious disease/immunologist first thing in the morning. Chicken Pox is one of the viruses I was cautioned about when his immune deficiency was discovered. He is at high risk of complications. However, his latest lymphocyte levels (tested May 30th) were almost in the normal range (following a month of Ceftriaxone via a PICC line). So maybe now's a good time for him to get them, if there ever is a good time.

If I get it confirmed that we do indeed have Chicken Pox, our house is open to anyone who wants to "visit"! Ian's first spots showed up Saturday night, and they're still weeping, so he has a few days of contagiousness left. Connor's spots still look like bug bites, no blisters yet (as of bed time at least) so he has perhaps a whole week of being contagious still.

PM me if you want to come over and I'll send you directions

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#145 of 364 Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm having some issues with Dr. Guy and the midwives (which I'm seeing more and more as common right?! *sigh*) I have caresource and I've already registered at family beginnings, who else delivers there?

Jamie 24 yr old mama to K Paige 6, Chloah Liz 4, homebirth Addison Elliot 1 (11.17.08) proud aunt to Marley Colt (2.11.08):::
#146 of 364 Old 06-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Dr. Horlacher & Dr. Woods

#147 of 364 Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Dr. Horlacher & Dr. Woods
: I use Horlacher. He's fabulous!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#148 of 364 Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Anybody here feed their dog a RAW diet? I'm going to be switching my dogs over and I'm looking for a cheap local supplier for meat and bones. Does anybody know of any local butchers or someplace else I should look?

#149 of 364 Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have one you can barrow until you can find one. I have a Lactina Select. I think Hocks pharmacy, or Good Sam Hospital might have them in their pharmacy.

Melissa S.
#150 of 364 Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Anybody here feed their dog a RAW diet? I'm going to be switching my dogs over and I'm looking for a cheap local supplier for meat and bones. Does anybody know of any local butchers or someplace else I should look?
their is a butcher on smithville that has bags of bones for pretty cheap. can't remember the name, it's right there before you get on 35 it has some generic name like "east daton butcher actually I think that is the name.

my dogs are raw, We can get chicken backs and things from there pretty cheap too. My dogs love tofu too, and eggs, but they only get them occasionally. They LOVE seaweed like kombu after I make stock and Nori. Really don't try to feed your dogs a "special" diet, just buy what you normally eat (if you eat meat) in a less processed form and they get the scraps.

we should go to the dog park some time and have a doggy play date!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page