Dayton Mama's 2008 - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  11  ... Last
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan > Dayton Mama's 2008
kriket's Avatar kriket 02:42 PM 01-08-2008
K ladies, cognito and I were griping about how the dayton thread was lame. so lets try to do better this year!!

happy (late) new year!

2boyzmama's Avatar 2boyzmama 01:11 AM 01-09-2008
Lame, huh? What are we, a bunch of over-tired, leached-off-of mothers or something?? LOL!

I have a few recent BAD dr experiences to pass on to whomever wants to store it away for future reference...

Nutritionist at Dayton Children's Hospital (unfortunately I don't remember her specific name, I was too infuriated by the time the appt was over). She apparently thinks that RICE CEREAL is the cure to all growth problems. Yep. A baby who has not gained any weight or height in over three months MUST have rice cereal, that's the ONLY way he'll grow. She insinuated basically that I'm starving my poor kid by giving him *just* breastmilk plus a little tiny bit of solids a day (high calorie and nutrient solids, by the way, like avocado, banana, winter squash, etc)

Allergist/Immunologist...Dr Parker. I had heard good things about him...yet he seems to think that it unlikely that a baby would truly honestly be allergic to foods in mother's breastmilk. Intolerant maybe, not allergic. But it's probably just coincidental that he reacts when I eat those foods, but doesn't react when I avoid them. AND he seems to think it's perfectly normal for a breastfed not-in-daycare baby to be sick 8 times in 10 months, two illnesses requiring hospitalization, three requiring ER trips.

ENT...Dr Zeller. Now he wasn't bad...but we did disagree on course of treatment. Connor has congenital conductive hearing loss and consistently fails hearing screenings and has been evaluated as significantly delayed in communication (particularly receptive, slightly expressive). We are almost 100% positive that he is capable of hearing if it weren't for his external ear defects preventing sound from getting into his ears (they did one test where the transmitted the sound directly to his inner ear and he responded appropriately) Taking all this into account, he was initially inclined to "watch him for a while and see if his ears start to grow on their own". !!! Meanwhile, my kid can't hear, can't speak, can't walk or even stand... No, I want something done NOW so he has a chance at normal hearing and speech development. He's 10 months old already! How long are we going to let him go without hearing??

And then the pediatrician I searched so high and wide for...Dr Thomas at Primed Pediatrics in Huber Heights. Good dr overall, and I'm not going to "fire" him yet. However, he thinks it perfectly reasonable to supplement breastfed babies with poly-vi-sol because first of all, they need iron. And don't forget Vit D (because I never ever let my kid get ANY sunlight...sarcasm) plus, it won't hurt the kid any, so why not give them extra vitamins??

And on the topic of iron...we have lab proof that Connor is NOT anemic, yet he still wants me to give an iron supplement "to prevent him from becoming anemic." WTF??? He's starting to eat solid foods now, I'll give him natural iron before I supplement!!!!

Okay...sorry, I meant to just pass on bad dr info, it turned into a vent

Good dr info...pulmonologist, Dr Stark. WONDERFUL man, supportive of mother/child. Willing to talk, willing to consider other options, willing to explain things, never ever rushes you, always returns phone calls...he's just, well, wonderful!!

So all that said...how is everyone?? What's up with rain and 60 degrees outside?????? Where's the snow?
jlpumkin's Avatar jlpumkin 01:50 AM 01-09-2008
Wow mama! I am so sorry to hear of all of your Dr problems. I hope you are able to find the help that Connor needs! I think Drs forget that we don't just have these problems for the 15 minutes we see them... we actually have to live with them every day, all day. And in your sons case, actually mold his future as well.

Hugs to you!!!
miss_nikki's Avatar miss_nikki 12:39 PM 01-09-2008
I'm doing ok. I can not believe my little guy is already 3 weeks old! Of course I can't believe DD#1 is already half way done with Kindergarten or that DH will be starting his terminal leave in just 3 or 4 months! I don't feel as post partumy (is that even a word? Well it is now...) as I did with the girls. I wasn't depressed or anything with them, but I don't remember feeling so much like myself again so quickly after having them. I actually feel quite normal. It's nice. I am however tired and grumpy today since yesterday every time my little guy went to sleep DD#2 decided to wake up her little brother!! And then at night I seem to just doze because everytime he wakes up I do too to see if he needs anything. (Although, amazingly I feel refreshed and somewhat energetic today too.) Usually he's just moving or something. He has only been waking up twice a night the past couple of nights to eat, but then again he is also staying pretty well attached to me for the few hours before bed time. But I'm adjusting and am mostly happy and in a good mood. Still working on getting back into my groove, taking over my "chores" and creating a new routine that works for me and the kiddos. We're cloth diapering him (ok *I* am cloth diapering DH is avoiding the diapers, but at least he washes them for me...) And BFing is getting better and better each day. Sometimes his latch leaves much to be desired (YOUCH!) but that's mostly at night when I don't even think he really wakes up to eat hahaha. But even that is getting better. I was actually able to fall back to sleep while feeding lastnight. (BTW THANK YOU Bobbi for your help and visual the other day it seriously did helpy me! I'm a visual learner...)
As for the weather, I'm LOVING IT! I mean I love snow and winter and all, but I'm totally in renewal mode right now. Gearing up for all the changes this year has to offer and all that.
cognito's Avatar cognito 06:24 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
K ladies, cognito and I were griping about how the dayton thread was lame. so lets try to do better this year!!

happy (late) new year!
Kriket: Your siggy still freaks me out for some reason.
Now that you're around I might be getting more into this site.

I totally agree that the weather is nuts!!!

For those other than Kriket, I'm Candice. I have 2 boys: Milo 12-13-06 & Jareth due 5-15-08. I don't fit into the "crunchy category" very well, but I'm interested in BFing resources in the area. It didn't go well with Milo & I'm hoping things go better with Jareth.

Are there any family friendly BFing groups around here? I'd like DF to be able to come too. He is a big part of my support system after all.

WIC at the Sunshine Center is starting a weekly group soon if anyone is interested. Maria would be the one to contact there.
cognito's Avatar cognito 07:08 PM 01-11-2008
Anybody have any breast pump rental advice or know of an affordable place? My insurance covered mine. There's a momma asking on the 2007 thread.
tenecwalker's Avatar tenecwalker 01:27 AM 01-12-2008
That was me asking about the rental. I'm looking for a medela lactina to rent. Bfing is not going well and I'm currently exclusively pumping for Luke. I was renting a lactina from Medicine Shoppe, but the $60/month is a little too pricey for me. I bought an Ameda Purely Yours, but it doesn't seem to be working near as well as the Lactina, and I'm a little worried my supply might drop. So anybody know where the cheapest place is?
tenecwalker's Avatar tenecwalker 03:58 PM 01-12-2008
Just wanted to post that I found a place that rents them for $45 the first month and $35 after that. It is in Tipp City called Babies N Blessings if anyone else is looking.
havecutekids's Avatar havecutekids 08:54 PM 01-12-2008
It might be a good idea to go to a La Leche League meeting. I am one of the leaders and my co-leader may have some connections, she is a LC and works for WIC... Give me a call if you need anything, my number's on their website.

Stacey
kriket's Avatar kriket 06:06 PM 01-13-2008
I just thought i would grace you guys with my 100th post!!
khaoskat's Avatar khaoskat 04:32 PM 01-14-2008
Hi, I am in Dayton as well.

Know and recognize a few people from other places.
tenecwalker's Avatar tenecwalker 05:45 PM 01-14-2008
Stacey,
I'm planning on going to HH LLL meeting tomorrow. I've met with several LCs so far. We're trying craniosachral therapy on Wednesday also.
miss_nikki's Avatar miss_nikki 02:26 PM 01-17-2008
so how is everyone doing this week?
2boyzmama's Avatar 2boyzmama 11:22 PM 01-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_nikki View Post
so how is everyone doing this week?
Hey Nikki!

Did you like any of those clothes?? How's your little man doing??

Good week for us...more appts for Connor...I'm trying to get his two surgeries scheduled, but it's a logistical nightmare!

I'm busy at work, but logging some overtime (which I get paid for!).

I need more sleep...but what else is new??!! I got six hours the other night (not continuous. of course, Connor got up twice) and it felt so good!! I really think that one 4-hour chunk (uninterrupted) would make me a new woman!

I wish it would snow more...Ian and I need to do some serious sledding!
miss_nikki's Avatar miss_nikki 12:29 PM 01-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Hey Nikki!

Did you like any of those clothes?? How's your little man doing??

Good week for us...more appts for Connor...I'm trying to get his two surgeries scheduled, but it's a logistical nightmare!

I'm busy at work, but logging some overtime (which I get paid for!).

I need more sleep...but what else is new??!! I got six hours the other night (not continuous. of course, Connor got up twice) and it felt so good!! I really think that one 4-hour chunk (uninterrupted) would make me a new woman!

I wish it would snow more...Ian and I need to do some serious sledding!

Ooh Sledding! That would be fun!

The little man is doing mostly good. He has been throwing up a lot but I'm reading that is pretty normal, although Kirsten did too and her ped said she had reflux. Thankfully they didn't try and get me to switch to formula, but they also basically told me she would outgrow it and not to worry about it. She did of course. Anyway. He's even had it come out of his nose a couple times. I've cut out dairy and am seeing if that changes anything. I just started the other day to really make sure I'm cutting it out. I also wonder if he is just swallowing a lot of air, because sometimes especially at night (though he never throws up after bedtime.) he does that hunting thing and grunts a lot and tries to latch but it takes a few times and during that he does seem to suck in some air. I don't know. Other than that he seems to be a pretty happy baby and he sleeps pretty good. I'm working on starting to "school" Kirsten again, since he sleeps for a couple hours during the morning. Yesterday he actually slept good most of the day. I thought that was kind of nice until he woke up at some point in the wee hours of the morning to play. So of course I was awake and playing with him. So I didn't sleep as well as I would've liked. But that's ok. The night before that he slept pretty much all night waking up to nurse a little one time. Although I still wake up everytime he moves or grunts.

I was reading a post on mdc lastnight about moms who are bothered by baby's grunts and stuff at bed time because it keeps the moms from getting good sleep. I thought it was kind of funny, because I totally understand that and it does annoy DH some, but it doesn't bother me too much. Yeah I miss the sleep, but I LOVE watching him as he is stirring in his sleep. I love the sound of his little grunts. I love most of all when he settles in and I realize he sleeps just like I do and looks a lot like me! Maybe because everyone is always telling me my girls look like daddy.

As for the clothes. I am horrible! I still haven't had a chance to look at them, but will definetly do that today. I'm slowly getting my groove back and starting to get things settled again and in order. I still haven't sent out or given out my holiday cards to people yet and I had them mostly ready by the time my little guy was due!!!
LinzluvsGJ's Avatar LinzluvsGJ 09:38 PM 01-19-2008
Hey everyone.... dropping in! I'll be a Dayton mom for 6 more months then on to New Mexico. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do with the change but I'll survive! (I think if I keep telling myself that it can come true).

Anyone who doesn't know me, I'm Lindsey-- married to Gregg in the Air Force, I SAH with Grace, Issy and Philip! We live in Huber Heights. I know most of the names on here in person I think
mysonshine's Avatar mysonshine 02:13 PM 01-20-2008
Hello! I'm around just not very much. We're south of Dayton near the mall.
Starting next month, I'm a sahm!!!! YEAH!!!! Can't wait.

Stay warm!
khaoskat's Avatar khaoskat 05:51 AM 01-23-2008
Fellow Dayton Moms:

I need your help, if you are willing. I want to try to get MVH to change their policy with regards to family beginnings birth center there. I would like to specifically get them to change their policy towards VBAC patients and not allowing them a natural unmedicalized birth, and also allow them the chance to have a water birth or labor.

I am not pregnant right now, but if we decided to have more, I want my family beginnings birth experience again. I had it with my second child, but was transferred out for my third due to breech presentation and fetal demise. For my fourth I never made it in again she was heads up breech but turned during delivery to transverse, which necessitated a c/s.
lily7's Avatar lily7 08:01 PM 01-23-2008
Hi!
I live around Dayton too, and know couple of screen names from other places.
2boyzmom, I see your LO is not growing, interesting thing I got into (which is controversial to many people) is reading up on Weston Price nutritional research. Google Weston Price organization and you will find interesting info about breasfeeding mothers diet, especially supplementing with cod liver oil for VIT A and D, eating whole milk raw milk etc., eggs. I know this kind of diet is not in agreement with most people, but I kind of follow it and I have really thick milk and my LO at 4 mo is 18lbs 6 oz. Worth checking.
Also I found out me eating peanuts causes my baby eczema, so yeah your doctor is full of ....
lily7's Avatar lily7 08:02 PM 01-23-2008
Hi!
I live around Dayton too, and know couple of screen names from other places.
2boyzmama, I see your LO is not growing, interesting thing I got into (which is controversial to many people) is reading up on Weston Price nutritional research. Google Weston Price organization and you will find interesting info about breasfeeding mothers diet, especially supplementing with cod liver oil for VIT A and D, eating whole milk raw milk etc., eggs. I know this kind of diet is not in agreement with most people, but I kind of follow it and I have really thick milk and my LO at 4 mo is 18lbs 6 oz. Worth checking.
Also I found out me eating peanuts causes my baby eczema, so yeah your doctor is full of ....
LLLHeather's Avatar LLLHeather 02:24 PM 02-14-2008
At the risk of sounding "lame", what's everyone been doing lately? This thread has been strangely quiet for weeks!

While I'm at it, La Leche League of the Dayton area is holding some special meetings over the coming months. We have been fortunate to get Tracey Merkle, area nutrition expert, to come and do 4 lectures which are always informative. Here's the schedule:

Feb. 26-Dairy and Soy and the problems with them w/Tracey Merkle
March 25- Couples meeting
April 29- Allergy Season w/Tracey Merkle
May 27- Ear infections, colic, and thrush w/Tracey Merkle
June 24- Toddler meeting
August 26- Pre/post natal nutrition and the introduction of solids w/Tracey Merkle

The meetings with Tracey will begin at 7:00pm at Corinth Presbyterian Church. The Couples and Toddlers meetings will begin at 6:00pm and will be a potluck of some kind:; I will post more details about this later. These meetings are open to dads or anyone else that is interested in these topics.

If you would like to attend a meeting that Tracey is lecturing on an RSVP is requested. Please call the Back to Health Center office at 433-3241 to let them know you plan to attend so that enough handouts can be available.
tenecwalker's Avatar tenecwalker 04:57 PM 02-14-2008
Hi Heather
We haven't been doing very much. The cold weather has been keeping us in. I'm ready for spring! Luke has been battling a cold pretty much since he has been born. He has it for 10-14 days and then it will be gone for a few days and then come back. It is annoying and I feel bad for him. For good news - Luke is completely on the breast now. Mostly with a nipple shield, but he will occasionally latch without it. It has been a little over a week since I've had to pump. I took the pump back today and I have 545 oz of breastmilk in the freezer! I'll see you at the LLL meeting next week
cognito's Avatar cognito 07:03 PM 02-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLHeather View Post
At the risk of sounding "lame", what's everyone been doing lately? This thread has been strangely quiet for weeks!

While I'm at it, La Leche League of the Dayton area is holding some special meetings over the coming months. We have been fortunate to get Tracey Merkle, area nutrition expert, to come and do 4 lectures which are always informative. Here's the schedule:

Feb. 26-Dairy and Soy and the problems with them w/Tracey Merkle
March 25- Couples meeting
April 29- Allergy Season w/Tracey Merkle
May 27- Ear infections, colic, and thrush w/Tracey Merkle
June 24- Toddler meeting
August 26- Pre/post natal nutrition and the introduction of solids w/Tracey Merkle
You might be a good person to ask... Why are there so few couples meetings? I was truly interested in LLL after my first was born, but didn't feel comfortable not being able to have my main support person there to learn with me. We had horrible latch problems followed by health problems & I'm nervous about those things in the future. I've thought about it again since I'm due in May, but I would think an organization like LLL would be more family friendly.
acemama's Avatar acemama 02:52 PM 02-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognito View Post
You might be a good person to ask... Why are there so few couples meetings? I was truly interested in LLL after my first was born, but didn't feel comfortable not being able to have my main support person there to learn with me. We had horrible latch problems followed by health problems & I'm nervous about those things in the future. I've thought about it again since I'm due in May, but I would think an organization like LLL would be more family friendly.
Just jumping in here. I am not sure where you live, but the Troy Chapter of Dar a Luz network (www.daraluznetwork.com) just started in January. For Feb. the speaker is Melissa Stricklin, IBCLC and owner of Babies' n Blessings. She will be speaking about breastfeeding (of courses lol) and pumping, storing etc. with a Q&A session.

Since this chapter just started the group is small, but all are welcome including children and dads The meetings are the last Tuesday of the month at 7PM. Location: YMCA Miami County-Robinson Branch Troy. St. RT 25 A, just off I-75. (It's basically in Tipp City ) more info: [email protected]

LLLHeather's Avatar LLLHeather 04:43 PM 02-15-2008
Wow Jamie,

Have you considered being a milk donor? 545 ounces in your freezer? I have info on donating milk to the Human Milk Bank of Ohio especially if you don't think you will be using it. Don't let it go to waste though! It is a simple process requiring a blood test (that the milk bank pays for) and the drop off in Dayton is Children's Hospital. Your milk would go to help saves the lives of babies who desperately need it.

Cognito,

La Leche League offers monthly series meetings for mothers who breastfeed and include the topics: Advantages of Breastfeeding, Baby Arrives, The Art of Breastfeeding and Overcoming Difficulties, and Nutrition and Weaning. We repeat the topics 3 times a year but every meeting is different and we tailor it to suit the mothers that are present. Most fathers do not want to come to the meetings but we try to occasionally include meetings, like couples meetings, for the fathers who do. The Leaders are unpaid volunteers and it's often difficult to find the time to do lots of extra meetings. We find that many mothers are not comfortable nursing their babies openly in front of strangers, especially men, and asking their questions too, so series meetings are usually women and children only to make all mothers comfortable. Plus it is really nice to have a time specifically for mothers to meet other mothers, become friends, form playgroups, talk frankly about things...consider it a GNO (Girls Night Out).

Dads are very important to have as primary support people. What La Leche League provides is practical experience from trained Leaders who are/were breastfeeding mothers with the most up to date breastfeeding information available. We are always available by phone and at meetings to give help and support as well. We definitely promote the role of fathers but also recognize that they don't face the same things with breastfeeding and birth as women do. They can be great coaches and cheerleaders but sometimes it is important to have women to talk with and learn from that have gone down the road you are on. The benefits in coming to La Leche League Meetings are endless. You have a place to go and enjoy mothers you have things in common with but also welcome babies. It is also a consistent group where the topic is always related to breastfeeding without a sales pitch. We have no agenda other than to help mothers breastfeed their babies.

I hope you will check one of the meetings out. I'm sure you would find it very enriching.

Heather
diobolic_derbygirl's Avatar diobolic_derbygirl 11:30 PM 02-15-2008
ok, i'm jumping in here. fellow dayton mama here of two wonderful boys....9 and almost 6. I'm currently pregnant with a little girl who is due around the middle of May.

It was a very rough start at the beginning and I had a lot to battle through and for awhile, I was scared I'd lose her, but with bed rest, meds, and the caring of my wonderful partner....she's thriving and we will be making our 7 month mark next week! YAY!

I went to Jeanna's Dar a Luz meeting at the Greene a couple of Tuesdays ago and plan on going again next month as well.

The doula in me was able to use some connections to get into Dr. Guy's office (i'd worked with them before as a doula and Lisa seems to remember me well enough) and into Family Beginnings. Why so hard??? Because after my divorce, I was left with no ins. and finally got onto Care Source. As it turned out though....NO office would take "new" care source patients and I kept being turned down. (I got three turn downs from Dr. Guy's front desk before I finally asked to speak with Lisa herself)

So...it just goes to show that with a little persistence, things CAN happen for you in wonderous ways.

I look forward to getting to know you all.
cognito's Avatar cognito 11:54 PM 02-15-2008
Thanks Heather. It just doesn't sound like LLL would be the place for me. GNO really isn't something I desire at all. I work 9-5 & we spend evenings together as a family. My 13mo currently goes to bed at 7 too. I'm hoping at some point he will at least stay up to 8 so we can do more stuff. I might see if the WIC meetings will allow dads. DF goes with me to all the appts there. I got a call about a possible group getting together through there from Maria.
miss_nikki's Avatar miss_nikki 11:49 AM 02-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by diobolic_derbygirl View Post
ok, i'm jumping in here. fellow dayton mama here of two wonderful boys....9 and almost 6. I'm currently pregnant with a little girl who is due around the middle of May.

It was a very rough start at the beginning and I had a lot to battle through and for awhile, I was scared I'd lose her, but with bed rest, meds, and the caring of my wonderful partner....she's thriving and we will be making our 7 month mark next week! YAY!

I went to Jeanna's Dar a Luz meeting at the Greene a couple of Tuesdays ago and plan on going again next month as well.

The doula in me was able to use some connections to get into Dr. Guy's office (i'd worked with them before as a doula and Lisa seems to remember me well enough) and into Family Beginnings. Why so hard??? Because after my divorce, I was left with no ins. and finally got onto Care Source. As it turned out though....NO office would take "new" care source patients and I kept being turned down. (I got three turn downs from Dr. Guy's front desk before I finally asked to speak with Lisa herself)

So...it just goes to show that with a little persistence, things CAN happen for you in wonderous ways.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Wow! 7mos already?! I can't believe it!!! Yay!!
calipigeon's Avatar calipigeon 03:40 AM 02-20-2008
Birth is most definitely a money making venture. Well, not if you have a UC. The price of a HB midwife in Dayton was $900 before Dar a Luz. Now it something like $1800.
calipigeon's Avatar calipigeon 03:49 AM 02-20-2008
Heather--I think the thread fell silent partly because nobody likes being called lame.
1 2  3  11  ... Last

Up