Groups & Gatherings: MICHIGAN - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmama View Post
I am trying to start a Northern Michigan chapter for Holistic Moms Network. I live in a rural part of Northern Michigan and see a need for AP, Natural living, Holistic moms group in this area. Anyone that is interested in helping me set up a group in the area please let me know.
HI! If you would like info on how I started our Metro Detroit chapter, I would be happy to talk to you about it! Email me at amstevens14@juno.com. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made!
#32 of 52 Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Metro Detroit Holistic Moms Network

Here is the info on our August meeting:

Topic: Homeopathy for Family Health

Join renowned local homeopath, Kathleen Slonager, RN, DiHOM for an informal discussion on family health and wellness.
Homeopathy offers gentle and safe help for the entire family. The basic use of Homeopathy is easy to learn and is also very inexpensive.
During this talk, you will learn the basics, as well as why this 200 year old system of medicine is safe, non-toxic, and free of side effects.
Don’t miss out! A Raffle Prize will be given to one lucky winner! (But, you’re coming to hear the great information—right?!)
For more information about Kathleen, visit her website at www.transformationalhealthpc.com.
#33 of 52 Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM

Here's a cut and paste from our Yahoo! Group page:

Families for Conscious Living—Genesee-Livingston-Oakland Area FCL-GLO is a local family play and parent networking group. We now meet regularly in Milford as well as in Hartland, Brighton, White Lake and surrounding areas. For more info please email the FCL-GLO facilitators at: FCL-GLO-owner@yahoogroups.com

FCL-GLO families are exploring the vitalistic lifestyle together. Our objective is to form friendships via play-dates that are focused on experiencing nature and open-ended play. We seek authentic relationships at home and within the group. "We are all in this journey together, and the only rule we have is one we instill in our children for their use in the world of the future: Respect. What works for me may not be right for you. No one has the 'right' or perfect way for anything. Each of us is the authority in our own family. I am always honored and humbled to be in the same 'room' with these men, women and families." -Liberty Liscomb, Connecticut Facilitator and FCL Board Member 2008

This is a Guilt-Free Zone! We strive to practice Non-Violent Communication (see cnvc.org). We have a strong focus on Heart-Centered Parenting™ and what many are calling "conscious parenting." Our focus is on connecting with our own hearts so that we can connect with others, particularly our children. Many of us practice styles of parenting such as Attachment Parenting (AP) and other mindful and respectful parenting practices, but we also see the impossibility of perfection or total "attachment parenting" in the relative seclusion of the modern, nuclear family. What is best for our children is that we become informed of the true needs of children (see The Alliance for Transforming the Lives of Children atlc.org), and that we build our own networks of support for our ourselves, so that we can meet their needs as best we can.
#34 of 52 Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Here is the information for our September meeting of the Metro Detroit HMN group. I hope to see some new faces! Please feel free to call me if you need directions or just want to ask questions about our group. My contact info is at the bottom. Thanks! --Andrea

Metro Detroit Chapter Monthly Meeting
Speaker: Linda M L Bull, MS, LLP , Mental Fitness Center,
Rochester, MI
Topic: Gentle Discipline and Conscious Parenting
Thursday September 3, 2009 9:45-11:45 am
Civello Spinal Center, 14600 Farmington Rd. Suite 106, Livonia
Evening meeting:
Thursday September 10, 2009 7:00-9:00pm
The Sanctuary Chiropractic and Wellness Spa, 35275 Plymouth Rd. Livonia

Linda M L Bull is a founder and co-owner of the Mental Fitness Center. She is a therapist who holds a license as an LLP and received a Master’s of Science, from the Clinical Behavioral Psychology program at Eastern Michigan University. Prior to maintaining a private practice, Linda worked for over 13 years as Behavior Consultant and department supervisor at Independent Opportunities of Michigan Inc., supporting individuals with Developmental Disabilities and those on the Autism Spectrum.
Linda specialize in children/adolescents with cognitive, emotional and bio-medical disorders, behavior challenges, conduct disorders, parent and family counseling/skill training, behavior analysis and communication/social skill training. However also works with individuals and couples and fluently treats a range of issues including anxiety, depression, transition and low self-esteem.
For more information about Linda and the Mental Fitness Center, please visit http://web.mac.com/wellnessnaturally/MFC/Welcome.html

What is gentle discipline?
It can mean different things to different people. In general it is used to refer to a method of parenting that is nonpunitive, both physically and emotionally. This does NOT mean permissive. There is a wealth of resources available to parents who choose to gently discipline their children that does not include spanking, slapping, punitive time-outs, verbal tongue-lashings and other such forms of discipline. There is also a wealth of research supporting gentle or "positive" discipline.

About us:
The Holistic Moms Network is a non-profit group dedicated to supporting families in their pursuit of holistic health and mindful parenting. The chapter meets the first Thursday of the month at the Civello Spinal Center from 9:45-11:45am, and again on the second Thursday of the month at The Sanctuary Chiropractic and Wellness Spa from 7:00-9:00pm. In addition to monthly meetings, the Metro Detroit Chapter of the Holistic Moms Network offers playgroups, a lending library, Moms Night Out activities, family outings and other holistic activities. Children are welcome at all events, although childcare is not provided. For the comfort of our speaker and guests, please be mindful of your children and tend to them if they become disruptive. Please visit www.holisticmoms.org for more information about HMN or contact chapter leader Andrea Stevens at 313-220-4592, or e-mail at amstevens14@juno.com.
#35 of 52 Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Our La Leche League group is having a walk and family fun event at Hawk Island County Park on September 20, 2009. It will be a great time! We are going to have vendors related to AP & NFL as well as games/events for kids! PM me for more information!

We still have some vendor tables left too...PM me if you are interested in attending!

Thanks!

-HB

PS-You can check out our NEW website for more information: www.llleastlansing.com

Hope to see you there! :
#36 of 52 Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm starting a Detroit area cloth diapering group.

Initial plans are for a monthly meeting/gathering, collecting resource links, and answering questions. Longer term goals include advocacy and charity work.

Tentatively, meetings will be the first Sunday of the month at 3 - this is subject to change. Location TBD.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DCDF/
#37 of 52 Old 10-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Just started an attachment parenting group for downriver, MI

http://www.meetup.com/Attached-At-The-Hip/
#38 of 52 Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM

I am looking for a holistic minded / natural pediatrician (MD or DO) in the metro detroit area.... preferably within 30 minutes of ferndale/royal oak area. Any recommendations? I found a great one in Ann Arbor, but that's almost an hour from me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thank you!
(and sorry if this post is in the wrong place or wrong in any other way.... i'm new to this whole online forum thing and all the acronyms are making my head spin!
#39 of 52 Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Oh man all of these groups are still too far for me!

I am in the Grand Blanc/Fenton area....anything.
#40 of 52 Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKei View Post
Oh man all of these groups are still too far for me!

I am in the Grand Blanc/Fenton area....anything.
I don't know of any groups or anything, but I'm also in Grand Blanc! Maybe we can figure it out or start our own group! I'll bet we're not the only ones.

I'm new to Michigan to boot -- I've only been here since July.
#41 of 52 Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 AM

Capital Area Birth Network meets at 1001 Chester Rd. in Lansing. For more information check out http://www.capitalareabirthnetwork.org/.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#42 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicema View Post
I don't know of any groups or anything, but I'm also in Grand Blanc! Maybe we can figure it out or start our own group! I'll bet we're not the only ones.

Hey Mamas,

a few of us get together once in a while, but we don't have an official Genesee Co. group really at the moment (that I'm aware of). Some ladies and I were talking about doing a babywearing group, but I wonder if just a plain attachment parenting group would be more appropriate and helpful for all. Finding a good place to meet has been tricky. Any ideas?

I'm in Flushing, btw.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#43 of 52 Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 PM

For more info about the Metro Detroit chapter of the Holistic Moms Network please contact chapter leader Andrea Stevens at amstevens14@juno.com.

You can also check our calendar at
http://home.homewebs.com/hmnmetrodet...m/new_calendar

Thursday, March 11, 2010
Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Street: 35275 Plymouth Rd.
City/Town: Livonia, MI

Our March meeting will be a fun and informative meeting about the benefiits of adding raw foods to your diet. We are excited to have Angela Newsome of Detroit Evolution as our speaker for this event! She will be bringing several of her raw food dishes for us to sample.

Please be aware that many raw food dishes contain nuts and may be an allergy trigger.

Here is some information about Angela and Detroit Evolution:

Chef Angela Newsom is dedicated to assisting others with Vegan and Raw Foods and to raising awareness of Health and Food Justice issues. In 2002 decades of personal and family health problems came to a head through the loss of her father. Since then she has been on a personal mission to seek and share alternative information and resources on transition to healthy and mindful lifestyles. Angela attended Schoolcraft's Culinary Arts program, but found her true passion for healthy food preparation through independent study, working in various health-food stores and taking classes with groups like the Creative Health Institute.

Angela and her husband Gregg created Detroit Evolution in 2007 and have shared Vegan and Raw Food Classes, Healthy Local/Organic Catering, Yoga, Bodywork, Nutritional Counseling and Sustainable Lifestyle Training since. Frequently featured in local media and awarded “best vegetarian” in WDIV’s 2008 4 the Best, Angela and Gregg's efforts have been recognized as a community-focused, healthy and incredibly tasty alternative for the people of Detroit.

In late 2009, Angela, and Gregg relocated to North Corktown and co-created the Corktown Community Kitchen with their neighbors and friends. This exciting and innovative project presents the incredibly popular, donation based all local brunch at Brother Nature's North Corktown Farmhouse on the third Sunday of every month. This Community Kitchen Initiative also supports the production and promotion of "value add" processed and packaged foods made with local produce from Detroit's vibrant community-based urban agriculture movement.

Angela Newsom
Detroit Evolution
Detroit Community Kitchen Initiative
http://detroitevolution.com
angela@detroitevolution.com
#44 of 52 Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicema View Post

I am working with a woman in that area. She really wants/desires to get hooked up with some ladies in the area with similar beliefs/life style choices. She is newer to the area as well and rather lonely. Let me know if you start something and I will pass your info on to her!

Cole Deelah
a mama of 5, wife of one, doula, MW apprentice, and childbirth educator
#45 of 52 Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Sage Birth Co-Op is a Grand Rapids, MI group of doulas, lactation consultants, and childbirth educators who have come together to support women in unity throughout the childbearing years.

We hold monthly MaterniTea workshops - a time to meet us, as professionals, to EITHER seek out services or simply come into community with other women to share wisdom and support.

We meet at Baby Beloved in Grand Rapids on the first Saturday of every month at 1:30. We would love to see you all there!

Cole Deelah
a mama of 5, wife of one, doula, MW apprentice, and childbirth educator
#46 of 52 Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Capital Area BirthNetwork is putting on a Birth to Baby Fair on May 15th. For more information, visit www.birth2babyfair.com.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#47 of 52 Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM

MyBirth
GRAND RAPIDS AREA BIRTH SUPPORT GROUP

A place to share your unique birth story in an open environment with parents supporting parents, and to gather information about integrative birth and local resources & professionals that support healthy birth practices.
Come and join us for our first monthly meeting!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010
12:30pm - 1:30pm
East Grand Rapids Library
746 Lakeside Dr. SE

the Facebook event
#48 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerMomma View Post
MyBirth
GRAND RAPIDS AREA BIRTH SUPPORT GROUP

A place to share your unique birth story in an open environment with parents supporting parents, and to gather information about integrative birth and local resources & professionals that support healthy birth practices.
Come and join us for our first monthly meeting!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010
12:30pm - 1:30pm
East Grand Rapids Library
746 Lakeside Dr. SE

the Facebook event
#49 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Grand Rapids Birth Story Support Group

Come and join us for our monthly meeting! We will be meeting the 3rd Wednesday of every month.

Date: Third Wednesday of each month
Time: 12:30pm - 1:30pm
Street: 746 Lakeside Drive Southeast

Facebook group
#50 of 52 Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I am hoping to start a play date group/mama support group for open-minded WOHM moms in the above area(s). Please pm if you are interested or advise here if this is the wrong forum Thanks!

(P.S. I am doing this b/c I am a WOHM (8a-5p, M-F) of a 17 month old girl who longs for interaction with like minded folks who understand conversing while having a toddler is challenging!)

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#51 of 52 Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Birth Art's International Doula Training workshop!

November 5, 6, 7- Grand Rapids, MI
Time: Friday 6PM-9PM, Saturday and Sunday 8AM-5PM
Instructor: Erika Urban, CPM, LM, CD

Here is the link...http://erikaurban.yolasite.com/doula...-workshops.php

I hope people are interested. I'm so excited to host!

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#52 of 52 Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

Is anyone in the Thumb? I'd love to get together with like-minded mothers in the area.

We're also gauging interest in a new LLL Group for the upper Thumb: Cass City, Caro, Marlette, Bad Axe, Pigeon, etc.

Please PM me!

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page