Petoskey/Charlevoix Mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies!

My husband and I have lived in the petoskey area for a little over a year now, and it's just been hard for me to get plugged in to a group. Anyone from the area? If so, just wanted to say hi!
#2 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please scroll up and post this in the proper area. I'd move it for you, but I'm not sure where this goes.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 18 Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got it!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 18 Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks! I didn't realize that I had put it in the wrong place.
#5 of 18 Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Hi mama!
I live down near Dundee (near Toledo), but we come up there. DHs grandma lives in Bay Shore (on Lake Michigan) right at the end of Bay Harbor (Its been fascinating to watch that evolve from the old cement plant!) DH was born in Petoskey and lived on Torch Lake. I've been coming up there since I was a child (we camped at the state parks) His great Aunt lives in Charlevoix and my dad lives in Gaylord. Our plan is to eventually buy land up there and build our retirement home, green and debt free. (I'd love to be off the grid, but we might have to work up to that moneywise.) I have posted on here looking for mamas to hook up with while we are up there, but haven't got much of a reply. We have plans to come up in June and August. I'd love to hook up! Do you have kids? there was also a mama that I found in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=766648&page=2 (Maplesugar) who might be moved to Petoskey. There are also some N.MI mamas in this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=846806
In our county we just started out with 3-4 Mothering mamas and it has grown from there. We even have LLL started here! I'd love to meet with you when we come up North!

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#6 of 18 Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, Ladies!

Thanks for the responses... once I get a chance, I'll respond properly.
#7 of 18 Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 AM

We just moved from Petoskey to Gaylord over the summer (bought a house).

There is a LLL group in Petoskey, library story-time, and at least one play-group. I know that my church has a playgroup hosted once a week at someone's house (usually about 5 or 6 mama's).

With summer coming there's usually "music in the park" at least once a week and a lot of mama's go to that.

Welcome and Hi

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
We just moved from Petoskey to Gaylord over the summer (bought a house).

There is a LLL group in Petoskey, library story-time, and at least one play-group. I know that my church has a playgroup hosted once a week at someone's house (usually about 5 or 6 mama's).

With summer coming there's usually "music in the park" at least once a week and a lot of mama's go to that.

Welcome and Hi
Thanks for the info. Charlevoix has quite a few playgroups, which is nice, but I often feel as though the same people go to them, so maybe I'll check out the Petoskey ones. Thanks! Hope your move went well and that you're enjoying Gaylord.
#9 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepav View Post
Thanks for the info. Charlevoix has quite a few playgroups, which is nice, but I often feel as though the same people go to them, so maybe I'll check out the Petoskey ones. Thanks! Hope your move went well and that you're enjoying Gaylord.
It's the same way in Petoskey, there generally isn't much variety between groups. Hope you're enjoying the sun that has finally decided to come back out Between the rain and the sun I have a whole yard full of dandelions.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#10 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's the same way in Petoskey, there generally isn't much variety between groups. Hope you're enjoying the sun that has finally decided to come back out Between the rain and the sun I have a whole yard full of dandelions.
Do you mind my asking what church you attended in Petoskey, and was the playgroup open to anyone, or just the members of the church?
#11 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Not at all

We actually are still attending there, we got to Genesis Church (held in the Petoskey Movie Theater)
http://www.genesiswired.com

The playgroup is for whoever wants to go, it's on Friday mornings at 9:30 and it bounces between I think 3 different homes. There are generally about 5 or 6 women there with children ranging from 8 mths - 5years. They are talking about moving it to the park once the weather evens out.

#12 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not at all

We actually are still attending there, we got to Genesis Church (held in the Petoskey Movie Theater)
http://www.genesiswired.com

The playgroup is for whoever wants to go, it's on Friday mornings at 9:30 and it bounces between I think 3 different homes. There are generally about 5 or 6 women there with children ranging from 8 mths - 5years. They are talking about moving it to the park once the weather evens out.
Wow!! We've been there a couple of times, and enjoyed it - I do like that they include different art forms in the service - very different from a typical up north church. We came to the church a couple of times when they met in the park last summer - it was a great out of the box idea.

But wow... isn't Gaylord a hike to Petoskey each week?

Is there a way to find a schedule of where the playgroup is held? Are the ladies friendly? My dd is 14 months old, and loves the interaction.

Thanks for all your help, Mama!!
#13 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepav View Post
Wow!! We've been there a couple of times, and enjoyed it - I do like that they include different art forms in the service - very different from a typical up north church. We came to the church a couple of times when they met in the park last summer - it was a great out of the box idea.

But wow... isn't Gaylord a hike to Petoskey each week?

Is there a way to find a schedule of where the playgroup is held? Are the ladies friendly? My dd is 14 months old, and loves the interaction.

Thanks for all your help, Mama!!

There will be church in the park for July again this year

On the 25th there will be a free showing (in place of church) of the new Narnia movie, it starts at 9:30 am if you and your family are interested.

It's about a 45 minute trip on Sunday mornings.. We've been going for almost 3 years though (before dd was born) and DH does the overheads every week. Right now it's looking to be to much work to move on, and dd knows everyone and ya know...

If you send me a PM or email me I can hook you up with the email address for the woman who runs it, I don't want to paste her email out here. The woman are all really friendly, they are more mainstream though. Most of the mama's are in thier late 20's/early 30's.

#14 of 18 Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Pm'd you, Mama!!
#15 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 AM

We just moved to the Petoskey area and are still getting to know the area. We have not met any homeschoolers around here and I am wondering how my ten year old is going to make friends, so if anyone knows of any homeschool groups. Or he may actually go to school just because we are so rural and it is hard for a social kid as himself to not be around other kids once in awhile.

Also I would be game for meeting up with any mamas around here! I also have a two year old, we go to the Petoskey bayfront park often.
#16 of 18 Old 08-23-2008, 02:35 AM

I grew up for most of my life (and so did DH) in the Petoskey area. My mom still lives up there and we visit her occasionally. We were just up there 8/05-8/10 and we made sure to go to the playground at the waterfront. It was REALLY windy that day. I loved every minute of it though. We live in a flat valley area now and I miss Petoskey a LOT (don't miss driving in it though)...yikes. lol

Hope you can find or recruit some likeminded mamas! I know there are a couple MDC mamas up there that haven't posted in this thread yet.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#17 of 18 Old 10-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi mamas!

We moved to Petoskey this summer and are just now trying to get involved in things. I am due in Feb. with baby #2 and had some complications that have kept us at home most of the summer.

Now that I am feeling better though, I would love to meet some other "crunchy" Petoskey moms....okay anyone really, lol. DD and I don't have any friends yet so to speak of!

We attended Genesis Church two weeks ago and really liked it. So I have some info. on their playgroup and am looking forward to getting involved with that. I am wondering if there is anything else to get involved in? I am going to look up the LLL group that was mentioned (dd just weaned at 26 months due to my pregnancy).

I am also desperately trying to find a recommendation for a no-vax, ap friendly doctor in the area for dd and our little peanut.

Thanks!!
#18 of 18 Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Welcome!

Small world, I most likely met you two weeks ago. We've been going to Genesis for almost 3 years now.

The Petoskey library has storytime on I believe Wednesdays and Thursdays, there is a MOPS group that meets at the Walloon Community Church, and Genesis of course has a playgroup.

We moved to Gaylord last summer from Petoskey and have a 2.5 year old daughter.

As a side note, I just started working at a chiropractor in Petoskey and they are pregnancy/child friendly if you are looking for one. I'll also PM you with info on the pediatrician we see in Petoskey.

- Cassidy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page