New Toledo Area Moms Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 582 Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
sea sponge??? This is new to me tell me more.

The sea sponge is... well, exactly that, a sponge! I use Jade Pearl brand sponges "...completely natural sea sponge tampons contain no Dioxin or synthetic fibers. Sustainably harvested and reusable for six months or more, Sea Pearls are economical, easy to use, and earth friendly."
It's reusable for approx. 6 months according to the packaging, I've only had mine for three months so I can't honestly vouch for that. I ordered mine from through Frontier for $9.35 wholesale, it came with two different sized sponges and a muslin bag for storage.
To use: you wet it (to make it soft), insert with your finger, remove by bearing down (no strings), rinse it out (you can wash with mild soap between changes or wait) and reinsert. At the end of your cycle clean with hot water and a mild unscented soap or water and a few drops of tea tree or lavender EO (something antibacterial), air dry and store until next month!
Personally, I've found the sponge doesn't hold enough fluid the first day or two of my cycle without having to rinse every two hours and so I use the Diva cup and then switch to the sponge (b/c I find it easier). I can then rinse every 6-8 hours. When the sponge is saturated it works it's way down to the vaginal opening, it's pretty obvious at that point! If I am out and about and need to change it and don't want to rinse in a public bathroom I bring along the second sponge and a ziplock bag so I can wait to get home to rinse. It's easy and very affordable. Hope that helps!

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
#62 of 582 Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM

here is a link I found about plastic I guess #2 is fine but I recycled it anyway

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/20..._water_bottles

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#63 of 582 Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanrc View Post
Believe it or not, Babierus carries organic clothes now!!
I was actually there over the weekend and found a cute organic outfit on clearance, but their selection overall was not great.

Has anyone bought American Apparel brand clothing? I was in the AA store over the weekend and got DS a couple of really cute hats. They are made in the USA too, and I hear their employees make an average of $12 an hour.
#64 of 582 Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
That makes four of us with babies very close together in age. Susan and Betsy had their LOs in early December. My LO was born December 27th, and now your LO born just 8 days later!

We seriously all need a playdate.
I'd love to! I am a WOHM, so weekends would be better for me though. PM me if you ladies ever decide to get together. I am so excited. DS gets to try solids this Friday. Woo hoo!
#65 of 582 Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM

So I just discoverd that the plastic containers I was using have bpa in them they are the rubbermaid stainshield- grrrrrrrrrrrr so off the the garbage they went I have had then for about 4 years or so and I used to microwave them before I knew about the dangers of plastic being heated- so my cupboards are very empty to today .... I also threw out some more teflon cookware and other plastic kitchen stuff. Sometimes ignorance sure is bliss!

I need to buy some infant spoons for the baby and would like wood or bamboo ones anyone know were to get some??

#66 of 582 Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Nova Naturals has some nice ones. Not too expensive from what I remember either.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#67 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I used to microwave them before I knew about the dangers of plastic being heated-
Betsy, are you still using the microwave? I would say that microwaving food is worse than using plastic. We have been microwave free for about a year now. Mercola's website has info on the dangers of microwaving food too, I believe. I can look it up if anyone wants to know.

BTW, life without a microwave is not as hard as you would think.

Elissa
#68 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know of a Toledo area store that sells cloth diapers and accessories? I need some hemp inserts. I really don't want to have to go up to Ann Arbor again.
#69 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsh View Post
Does anyone know of a Toledo area store that sells cloth diapers and accessories? I need some hemp inserts. I really don't want to have to go up to Ann Arbor again.
I haven't found one yet, unfortunately. We go to Ann Arbor usually and make a day of it, going to Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

I would love a play date too. Tess is a bit younger than most of the other babies, but she makes up for it in size!
#70 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Elissa,

I have to agree about the whole microwaving thing. Just imagining those little waves travelling around into my food, and us! I did read recently, that people are advised to use the microwave instead of the oven to save energy. Ughhh! How frustrating.(I think it's a conspiracy by the microwave people)

Also, as I myself am moving to a more plastic-free lifestyle, I would loke to encourage others to come up with creative ways to safely use and properly dispose of the plastic, in leiu of just tossing them into the garbage.

I am open to all suggestions!

Lovin' my babes and my bubbah-wubs hearts.gif

#71 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elissa_teal View Post
Betsy, are you still using the microwave? I would say that microwaving food is worse than using plastic. We have been microwave free for about a year now. Mercola's website has info on the dangers of microwaving food too, I believe. I can look it up if anyone wants to know.

Elissa
So what do you do when you are in a hurry?? How do you reheat leftovers? It just sucks for me cuz our oven takes FOREVER to preheat. I do have a toaster oven though....Have you heard any danger effects of using them?

Susan, Mommy to McKenna 9/05 & Maleah 12/07, &................ due in July
#72 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=ohiomommy1122;11599761]Susan
I read that too on the Mercola website he did say that the worst are teflon and Aluminum so I Have been keeping my stainless steal stuff

DR.Mercola did say cast iron was the best BUT it needs to be coated according to him otherswise it leachs lots of iron into your food which he sayus can be a VERY bad thing for a healthy individual to much iron is bad I personally feel better about using only stainless steel and glass stuff we have gotton rid of most plastics and what we do have we only use with cold foods or dry foods that supposdly don't leech or leech less.

Yeah, and the cast iron pans from my grandmother are not coated I have some stainless steel pots, but also calphalon which I know is the worst. And plastic......I haven't even started there!!!!! By the time I am finished my cabinets will be bare

#73 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=susanrc;11612578]
Quote:
Susan
I have some stainless steel pots, but also calphalon which I know is the worst. And plastic......I haven't even started there!!!!! By the time I am finished my cabinets will be bare
Now, I thought calphalon was a good option... my calphalon pots and pans do not have any teflon (or other) coating and they are made local, right here in good 'ol Toledo!

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
#74 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I was thinking, also, about the iron in the cast iron pans. Iron is a mineral that is very important for us, yes, but it is possible to have too much. How much really comes out of the cast iron pans? And if we avoid eating animal flesh, which is a the biggest source of iron in our diets(my liitle veggie plug), would the levels taken in from the pans still be too much?

This is frustrating. I'm just going to start cooking everything on a spit over an open fire in my back yard

Lovin' my babes and my bubbah-wubs hearts.gif

#75 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elissa_teal View Post

Elissa
No, I have one but we don't use it well I take that back we microwave popcorn in it I need to go buy an air popper!!!

#76 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Can anyone tell me more about the Montessori Day School on Bancroft OR Little Miracles Montessori School in Sylvania?
I am so torn about having DS go to Kindergarten this year... we are in Washington Local and it's a good school district but I don't feel they address learning the way I feel is important. Not to say Public schools don't work or don't teach... I'm just looking for something different.
We've been out to visit the West Side Montessori, this was last year... whew, are they expensive! Financially we are not able to send our children there. Are the other schools as pricey?

#77 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistamamacita View Post
\

This is frustrating. I'm just going to start cooking everything on a spit over an open fire in my back yard

OMG~!!! YOU SAID IT!!! LOL!!

#78 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=reikitiki;11613752]
Quote:

Now, I thought calphalon was a good option... my calphalon pots and pans do not have any teflon (or other) coating and they are made local, right here in good 'ol Toledo!
I hope you are right.....I just started doing research on pots and pans and thought I came across calphalon being bad. I could very well be wrong though...Anyone else know and want to chime in??

PLEASE, please tell me how you all go w/out microwaves. I just cannot forsee living w/out one. (not that i am lazy either) When you have kids and have one screaming for food because she is hungry, and nursing the other, what do you do??? I guess be prepared!!Right.

#79 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM

OK, I need to start worrying about other things......Are basement is flooded My husband just finished it last summer too

#80 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=reikitiki;11613752]
Quote:

I forgot to add all my calphalon say made in china

#81 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Edited. I lost my sling, but now it's found. Yay!
#82 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to announce the birth of our new baby girl, Lucy Joy!

She was born yesterday afternoon into the water at Mother's Own. It really was beautiful! (hard, but still beautiful) Thank you, thank you, Linda, for providing such a wonderful place to birth our baby! :
#83 of 582 Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Congratulations, Cindy! What a beautiful name! Can't wait to see pictures & meet her!

Oh, and about the previous post... my husband found the sling in the garage! He had put "bags of junk" in the garage from cleaning out the car & it was in one of them. Praise God!
#84 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmom View Post
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to announce the birth of our new baby girl, Lucy Joy!

She was born yesterday afternoon into the water at Mother's Own. It really was beautiful! (hard, but still beautiful) Thank you, thank you, Linda, for providing such a wonderful place to birth our baby! :
I am so happy for you!
I got the message about setting up your PP massage next week. I was a bit under the weather yesterday and stayed home sick. I'll call you later to arrange your appt.

#85 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Big Congrats!! I can't wait to birth with Linda at home!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#86 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistamamacita View Post
Also, as I myself am moving to a more plastic-free lifestyle, I would loke to encourage others to come up with creative ways to safely use and properly dispose of the plastic, in leiu of just tossing them into the garbage.

I am open to all suggestions!
We recently got rid of all the plastic we use the most. We recycled as much as we could and took the rest to good will or once upon a child. I guess its not the best to pass it along to someone else, but its better than throwing in the trash!

We are also looking into getting cast iron and getting rid of our tephlon. My dh went to this kitchen/restaurant warehouse in P'burg, kind of past Owens CC, off of 475 and they had cast iron. They looked up prices for it, but gave us the wholesale price and didn't know how much they mark-up. So we have to call back for prices. Also if Bass Pro Shops put their cast iron on sale, that will be a good price too. Also Elder Beerman has Pyrex glass storage containers on sale for 50% off this week. That and Anchor glass storage containers are the only ones we use now.

Carla emailed me a good way to season or de-season cast iron, so not too much gets in your diet. Maybe she can chime in here.

The microwave is next on my list, but I don't know how dh will do w/o it! I do use it less and less though!

We are also getting rid of as many chemicals in the household that we can. We mainly use vinegar/baking soda to clean with some other natural products. I just got some mineral makeup. And we are trying to find natural shampoo and soaps that we like. (Trying Dr. Bronners right now.) I don't know if I could ever go to no-poo, but you never know! I also just ordered a natural deodorant. Also just started using Tooth Soap, it is very interesting, the kids seem to like it.

I loved getting rid of all our plastic, it really is freeing! Even though we've had 3 glass cup casualties in the past couple of weeks, it really is worth it. Thank goodness for Libbey Glass! We only use glass cups while at home and stainless steel sippy's when out. I love my thermos stainless steel water bottle and the kids stainless steel straw sippy's I got at Target. (In the camping section.) It keeps the kids and my water SO cold for a long time. There is usually ice in them the next day! I just need to get a foogo sippy for the baby now! Meijer also has the thermos ss straw sippy's in the cup/plates section.

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#87 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Congrats Cindy! Welcome to the World baby Lucy!

Glad you found your sling Ruth.

Sorry about the basement Susan!
#88 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Welcome, Baby Lucy!!! How are the bigger kids liking her?

Melody...Mommy to ds1, dd1, ds2, ds3, ds4, and dd2

#89 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandaddi View Post
Okay, the whole mention of the Diva cup got me thinking... and I'm sure you've discussed this before, but does anyone here use cloth pads, more specifically Luna Pads? If so, what are your personal pros/cons about them? How do you personally wash them? Do you use them when you're out of your house? How many do you use in a cycle? And do they "show" through your underwear (they sound thick)? I've read through all the FAQ on the Luna Pads website but still have those questions & I trust your guys' opinions. TIA!
Hi Ruth!

Yes, I have used Luna Pads for many years now. I love them!!! I purchased the Organic starter set several years ago and have never needed anything else. I did add some pp pads to my stash.
I would wash them pretty much the same as cloth dipes. I choose to line dry for extended life, etc.
I don't think they are any thicker than a disposable pad myself.

Steph
#90 of 582 Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!! Welcome to Our Wonderful World Lucy!

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page