Expecting #3!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It took 8 months but we just found out we are expecting #3!!!! I couldnt be happier!! I am pretty sure we are going to try a home birth this time. I have had some trouble getting DH on board.
Anyway my plan right now is to see my regular OB/GYN to confirm and such and let him now of my plans of home birth. I am very curious to see what he will say. My hopes are that he will be glad to be my back up but I have a feeling he we put the idea down. I dont care though I plan to do it any way.
I figure after seeing him I will make my app. for an US and then begin seeing a midwife. I was looking at meeting with Eileen Denomme but was wondering when to call and make an appoitment with her. I dont know how this all works!! Thanks!

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
#2 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Congrats Heather! You might want to start a thread to ask for feedback on Eileen....what experiences local people have had with her. That is what I have done in the past to get some valuable info on local midwives.

Also, I am not sure where you live, but Dr. Zaiden in Lake Orion does "backup" for midwives (he will do prenatals as well) and I have heard that he doesn't charge you for prenantals if he doesn't deliver your baby.

If dh isn't on board with a full fledged homebirth, you might also want to consider one of the birth centers in the area.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#3 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Congrats!!!!

Call Eileen right now, no time like the present

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Congratulations! :

I agree with Carrin. Do some research and interview til you find that perfect fit! You have lots of time to decide.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Congratulations Heather!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#6 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome, Heather! : Congratulations!

Depending on who your OB is, you might not get in to see that ultrasound if you tell them about your HB plans first! Many docs around here will be happy to "fire" you for planning a homebirth, and just plain and simple won't be willing to back you up.

However, as PP mentioned, Zaidan has been happy to do back up in the past, or you can just do it the not so truthful way and "forget" to tell your practitioner about your HB plans, and then...oops! Stayed home too long (!) if you would rather have that doc as backup. I know that it made my husband feel better about doing a home birth to have a hospital based practitioner who knew me, had done prenatal care with me, and knew my medical history...and when he was more comfortable overall, I was more comfortable while in labor, you know?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Congrats!:

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
do it the not so truthful way and "forget" to tell your practitioner about your HB plans, and then...oops! Stayed home too long (!) if you would rather have that doc as backup. I know that it made my husband feel better about doing a home birth to have a hospital based practitioner who knew me, had done prenatal care with me, and knew my medical history...and when he was more comfortable overall, I was more comfortable while in labor, you know?
this is what I am planning on doing I think, but won't the OB know what really happened when you go for a check up or just never call her till when? Like at 6 weeks pp?
#9 of 12 Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 PM

Doesn't matter, really, if you don't mind either just not contacting them at all or contacting them to "update them". You can either tell your OB that you were wary of interventions and stayed too long at home, and then afterward that everything was fine, so you STAYED home...or tell them the truth. Up to you. I suppose they COULD fire you at that point...but it would be kind of anticlimactic for them to do that, wouldn't it?...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#10 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM

I am planning to HB without any OB backup. To me, it's a waste of my time and money to go to OB prenatals, and anyways only something bad can come of it. (Finding something to increase my risk factor or make me needlessly worry.)

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#11 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM

And MANY women DO homebirth without OB backup. But, you can have a backup and refuse tests...I did. If it makes a woman more likely to homebirth TO have a backup than not to, then I say get the backup. It is not generally necessary, but if it makes the mother or her support (thus stress levels go down for the mother!) more comfortable, then it might be the way to go to have a backup. Whichever makes you more comfortable. You can always drop the backup halfway through if you choose to have one and then change your mind.

As I said, it is not generally necessary. I believe that only one of the women I have attended with my preceptor has had a backup in the last couple of years...and we have had to transport NO women since I started with her. Not 'cause she is irresponsible and doesn't like to transport, but because she has not had cases of emergent things happening. At all. *shrug* It's totally your choice, which is one of the cool things about midwifery care. It's all about what YOU need (woman centered care).

#12 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM

ANYWAY! Back to the OP!

Heather, DO interview a few midwives, to get the feel of what you are comfortable with in the way of practicing style and personality style. Generally there is a midwife out there for everybody!...and it's not necessarily the closest one, the least expensive one, the most experienced one...there is a whole lot that goes into "clicking" with a midwife. Sometimes there is really no explanation for WHY you click, you just do!

Have fun with the interviewing process!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page