Columbus Indiana mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone anyone?

DH and I will be moving there this coming week. Looking for other mamas, places to take my kids (23mo and 2mo).

Looking for a good ped that takes state health care for the kids since DH will not have a job w/ benefits for awhile.

Good places to shop for groceries... csa's... anything like that. Sources for raw milk would be nice so I can finally taste it and see if DS can stomach it

Anything? I'm willing to drive to Bloomington/Indy, and I'll also be up in the Anderson area a lot (so Northeast Indy) since I have friends there and grew up there so I can pick stuff up on the way and all.

: Anyone? Anyone?

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM

bumping to see what you think so far? We will most likely be headed that way {it works out better than our first choice from a cost of living standpoint & proximity to family standpoint} at the end of the public school year in May. Hubby will be attending Ivy Tech at the airport there, and I will be looking to relocate & grow my massage therapy business.

I would assume by now you've found BloomingFoods and the Bloomington area CSAs I'm curious if you have found closer sources of natural foods aside from Whole Foods/Wild Oats in Indy? I love BloomingFoods, but the drive between Columbus & B'ton in the winter terrifies me. It makes me nervous in the summer/fall as well too though, I hate blind curves with a passion
Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM

Hi there! I grew up in Columbus and I live in Shelbyville now! I really like it here and it is nice because Columbus is really close.

I am not sure about groceries besides Bloomingfoods in Bloonmington. But that is quite a trek for food.

I have a family doc over on the Northeast side of Indy. Near Community North hospital. He is pretty nice and so far open to non-vaxing. He is a tad clueless about breastfeeding, but I have slowly been educating him. His name is Andrew Spruger.

Let me know if you find one in Columbus! I would much rather travel there.

I can tell you to say away from Bruce Davison at Columbus Pediatrics on Marr Road. He was my ped growing up and it my nephew's doc. Very anti-breastfeeding and pushes vaxes at every visit.

Let me know if you ever need a playdate! I have a 16 month old son and we are in Columbus a lot.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 09-14-2008, 01:44 AM

Me me! I'm in Columbus now, as of last month. We are loving it here and have been going to the Saturday farmers market and getting most of our meats, eggs and veggies there. We found one farmer that has milk, you have to go to his farm to get it but he's only about 20 minutes away.

We don't vax and our ped didn't give us any grief, but not sure on the state insurance. We went to Northside Peds and just told the nurse 'we aren't doing any at this point' and left it at that. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year who were getting a physical for preschool and our 1 year was getting her first doctor visit ever, so I expected trouble-nothing.

There is a local DO who is getting ready to open an Integrated health practice (she will practice some alterative medicine) soon, and she is a family practice doc who is much more preventative minded and not vax-pushy. She is at Sandcrest Family Medicine or something like that.

If I went to any doctor that bad mouthed breastfeeding I would seriously walk out, that's just plain ignorant and stupid!:

I even found a dentist who is a certified mercury removal dentist who wrote a book called "Tooth Truth" that is going for over $100 for his out of print book!!! He is downtown, name is Frank Jerome. I def didn't expect to find this guy here in this small town, thought I'd have to go to Indy for sure. Nice guy!!

It's FUN here, it really is, lots of things to do for families in such a small town.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactationmom View Post
Me me! I'm in Columbus now, as of last month. We are loving it here and have been going to the Saturday farmers market and getting most of our meats, eggs and veggies there. We found one farmer that has milk, you have to go to his farm to get it but he's only about 20 minutes away.

We don't vax and our ped didn't give us any grief, but not sure on the state insurance. We went to Northside Peds and just told the nurse 'we aren't doing any at this point' and left it at that. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year who were getting a physical for preschool and our 1 year was getting her first doctor visit ever, so I expected trouble-nothing.

There is a local DO who is getting ready to open an Integrated health practice (she will practice some alterative medicine) soon, and she is a family practice doc who is much more preventative minded and not vax-pushy. She is at Sandcrest Family Medicine or something like that.

If I went to any doctor that bad mouthed breastfeeding I would seriously walk out, that's just plain ignorant and stupid!:

I even found a dentist who is a certified mercury removal dentist who wrote a book called "Tooth Truth" that is going for over $100 for his out of print book!!! He is downtown, name is Frank Jerome. I def didn't expect to find this guy here in this small town, thought I'd have to go to Indy for sure. Nice guy!!

It's FUN here, it really is, lots of things to do for families in such a small town.
Thanks for this info! Welcome to Indiana!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Hello ladies We'll be coming to Columbus next weekend {27th} to start our looking around in depth and sometime the following week for Dh to look at/plan for Ivy Tech.

Can anyone recommend a good property management group/realtor? We're wanting to stay in the Parkside Elem. district due to it's blue ribbon status and on-site autism services personnel. But really we'd be willing to work with anything that is highly walkable/bikeable as that is our preffered way of getting around for the most part. I've heard that most if not all rentals in Columbus are the sign-in-the-yard type of advertising, and if the Republic online is any indication, this must be the case. There were only 3 ads this past week, and only 1 of them was 3 bedrooms?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM

http://www.gelfiusgroup.com/

Vicky is AWESOME and has knowledge of autism as she has a nephew w/autism. So she could probably really help w/ local resources, plus she's cool and sweet!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactationmom View Post
http://www.gelfiusgroup.com/

Vicky is AWESOME and has knowledge of autism as she has a nephew w/autism. So she could probably really help w/ local resources, plus she's cool and sweet!

thank you ! I noted her office doesn't handle rentals though Any ideas where to turn for those or would we be better served to simply wait til we come down and do a driving tour, maybe call a few of the card-in-yards to get an idea of rental prices in the areas that interest us?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 AM

bumping cause we visited Columbus in person weekend before last and fell in love. I'm headed back Thursday for the job fair at Schmitt {sp?} to see what the job market really looks like for someone with my resume and to look around a bit more without the kids or hubby.

I'm starting to worry on the rental front cause the only places I'm finding are trailers in a park I was warned was flooded out or other places in the 'flood out' areas on the flood maps online.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM

This is a really really old thread lol, but we just moved to Columbus a few months ago  and I'm looking for other moms to connect with. 

homeschool.gifintactlact.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gifbelly.gifbfolderchild.gif
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Me! We've lived in Cbus forever. Well, Hubs has, I haven't. I'd love to connect with you mamas! smile.gif
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM

To the two mamas above, I live about 25 minutes away from town but would also love to connect to some local moms!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
We like to visit the commons in the winter. We would love to meet up with some folks.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM

Farmer Momma, we also visit the Commons every now and then!  A meet up would be fun!

User Tag List