Ultrasound referral in Grand Rapids MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to home birth and I'd like an ultrasound done around 20 weeks. My midwife is not certified and cannot refer me. Any ideas on what to do? Will a hospital do them w/o a referral? I do not want to become another OB or midwife's patient.
#2 of 5 Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM

Are you concerned about something in particular? You can go to the ER if you have a concern... but its my experience in Grand Rapids that to get a 'just checking' ultrasound will require you visiting another provider.
#3 of 5 Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 PM

I have just recently found two independent ultrasound centers who are happy to see my clients for cash payments of somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-$200. One of them is in Jackson, which is about 90 minutes from Grand Rapids.

I would recommend doing a yellow pages search to see if there are independent ultrasound centers and then calling around to see if they would see you without the referral of a licensed provider. Some of them will, I would guess, but they might not be willing to submit to insurance and you might have to pay cash.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I know some other moms who have used a family doc or DO to order their u/s. Good luck!

All our GR mws are awesome, so I know you're in good hands!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#5 of 5 Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 PM

You may get the midwives at http://www.obgyninfert.com/ to help you out. They don't do home births, but I know at least one of the midwives is supportive of them. She offered up a name when I mentioned I was considering one. It's worth a call. They are pretty reasonable too. I don't know how much, but when I saw how much they charge cash customers it wasn't a terrible lot.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page