Michigan - Looking for a Pediatrician - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am new to mothering.com and a soon-to-be-mom(due mid-November). I live in Michigan between Oxford and Lapeer (about 1 hr. north of Detroit, 1/2 Hour east of Flint). I am looking for a Pediatrician who will work with families who do not want to vaccinate right away (if at all). Any suggestions?
#2 of 26 Old 09-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Welcome to MDC!

I'm moving this to Finding Your Tribe. I know a lot of the mamas in your area will have some great suggestions. If you ever move out to the Commerce/Novi/Wixom/West Bloomfied area , let me know, I have a fantastic physician!
#3 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Who is your physician? SOmeone recommended Dr. Schindler to me.
#4 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM

We use Dr. Kathy Kleinert and LOVE her. She's in Livonia though, so that would probably be too far for you :\ Good luck!
#5 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#6 of 26 Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaller View Post
Who is your physician? SOmeone recommended Dr. Schindler to me.
Please don't go with Schindler. I went for a while but he isn't natural or AP or good with prescribing meds for nursing moms.

I love Dr. Kathy Kleinert. She's wonderful with my husband and son. And since she has no office, she makes housecalls for everything. She also offers homebirth.
#7 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99 View Post
Please don't go with Schindler. I went for a while but he isn't natural or AP or good with prescribing meds for nursing moms.

I love Dr. Kathy Kleinert. She's wonderful with my husband and son. And since she has no office, she makes housecalls for everything. She also offers homebirth.

I had a really good experience with Dr. Schindler when it comes to drugs while nursing. I gave him Dr. Hales website, & he looked into the particular medication for me. I think he is really good natured....he respects me, & works with me when I come in with research & possible tests for my concerns, he always listens & does a wonderful job of accommodating my wishes.

I guess YMMV though!

#8 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Dr Sayed of Troy is great. Zakaria and Joannides are in the office and are great too. I dont know their opinions on immunizations though. Dr Frantz of Clinton Twp is also good.
#9 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99 View Post
Please don't go with Schindler. I went for a while but he isn't natural or AP or good with prescribing meds for nursing moms. .

I love Dr. Schindler!!! I've never had a doc that took so much time with his patients, researched things of concern, encouraged patients to do their own research, encourages delayed/selective vaccines, etc. Both my daughter and I see him.

On the other hand, I've heard great things about Dr. Lax, but he rubbed me the wrong way. So to each her own!

However, I doubt it matters since yogigrrl72 probably won't want to drive to Novi for her ped!

Yogigrrl72, try to get in contact with the Rochester LLL - they'll probably be able to give you some good references for peds closer to you.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#10 of 26 Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 AM

LOVE Dr. Kleinert, don't like Dr. Schindler. Had to see Schindler when Dr. Kleinert was attending an out of country birth. Boy was I glad when she came back

Dr. Schindler will do, but why go with him when you can have it all

He was pro delayed/selective vax, but we don't do them at all and you could tell that he was a little annoyed by that. When we told Dr. Kathy that we did not at all, she said, "Good!".

Dr. Schindler also seems a little full of himself? Whatever you do, DO NOT go to U of M

I am a homeschooling mom and placenta encapsulator serving: Michigan, Ohio and northern Indiana - www.itsyourplacenta.com . Mention, "mothering" for $20 off of your encapsulation package! 

Have you consumed Your Placenta? Please participate in my research...

#11 of 26 Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 AM

Weird....Dr. Schindler never ONCE asked about my two youngest ones being vaccinated. They aren't & never will be....and he knows it! My youngest had severe eczema also, & saw him quite a few times from complications.

I'm going to see him again soon for me, because I think he is great.

Again, YMMV, but as far as docs go, I think he's a gem!

#12 of 26 Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Some of my friends have been happy with Dr. Moscovic and he's definitely more north then Dr Schindler.

Dean Moscovic, DO
248-625-2621
Clarkston Medical Group
6770 Dixie Highway, Ste. #200
Clarkston, MI 48346

(their reviews on http://www.meetup.com/attachmentparentingMI/ )

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#13 of 26 Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
SKT

Jacque Savageau...who is the pediatrician you recommend in your area? I live in Walled Lake and am not happy with my current pediatrian. Thanks!
#14 of 26 Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM

I am new the the forum and am quite sorry if this is answered somewhere else.

I am looking for a pediatrician in West Michigan who administers the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccinations separately.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
#15 of 26 Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Welcom Jaypee! You can start a new thread here, or use the "search this forum" tab on the front page of Indiana, ohio, michigan & see if anything has been posted before. Wish, I could help more, but I'm in SE Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post

I am looking for a pediatrician in West Michigan who administers the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccinations separately.

#16 of 26 Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post

You can also post to our selective and delayed vaccine forum to see if these vaccines are offered as single doses. That may be a good place to start.
#17 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Dr. Naomi Persall in Brighton is awesome! We switched to her in the beginning of the year and couldn't be happier. She really listened to all our concerns and explained everything to us. And she will not vaccinate if you don't want to. I can't remember what shot it was but she told us that they only reason the American council of pediatrics was recommending it was because so parents wouldn't have to miss work. WTF! All the other doctors in the office were going to recommend it and she stood her ground and told them she was telling the parents the truth, that is wasn't necessary. Anyway, we didn't get it. She is a family doctor and my DH recently went to see her. We don't have insurance so she charged the least amount she could. And on my DD (4) most recent visit, it was the 1st time she has not screamed. She hates doctors and she sat there just chatting away with her. DH and I jaws were on the floor.

If you want her number and address, let me know and I will find it for you.
Amerigo25 likes this.
#18 of 26 Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 AM

Hi! And !!
Just wanted to say that I'm about 20 minutes east of Lapeer, so I thought I'd share our doc. We go to Dr. Eric Clark of Imlay City. He's AWESOME!! He's really natural-friendly. All 5 of their kiddos were born at home, ext bf'ed, selective vaxed, noncirced, and homeschool. He's really hands-off and very supportive of mom's intuition. He practices alone and is kind of hard to schedule last minutes since he has a busy young family, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. If ever I need last minute care and I can't get in, we take the kiddos to Wm Beaumont's After Hours Peds Clinic in Troy. I've had incredible service there, and they NEVER pressure me about our decisions and natural approach.

Dr. Clark's phone number is 810-724-3445 btw.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#19 of 26 Old 11-05-2008, 08:09 PM

I just found out today that my family practice doc is laissez faire about vax. Dr. Jennifer Klock out of Davison.

She's not a pedi, but she did fantastic work for me with BFing problems as well.
#20 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 AM

I believe that Dr. Sung Park Davis in Bloomfield will do the MMR shots seperately. It is my understanding that they are expensive though...I believe it was $100.00 per shot when I called a few years ago...we decided to delay even longer when we heard the price.
#21 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 AM

My kids go to Dr. Lax and we love him, we don't vax, and he's just fine with that too. he's in Clawson, 14 mile and main... not that close to you, but closer than some mentioned.
#22 of 26 Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Maybe I'll have to give Dr. Kleinart a try. Anyone have her contact information? I've been on here a couple of times looking for good docs that are okay about not vaccinating. After Dr. Schindler told my sister that "breastfeeding past infancy won't HURT, but it doesn't really do any good, either," and offering up a somewhat troubling misdiagnoses of something else, we switched to Integrated Health Care--the practice of Dr.s Park-Davis and Sayed. I really like them for a time. Then, though, Dr. Park-Davis told me that I was severely anemic and was alarmed that I was still nursing while pregnant. She prescribed prescription iron tablets and ordered a bunch of tests. When I told my midwife this, she was skeptical and tested me herself--and I wasn't anemic AT ALL. So I called their office to see what the results of the test were and the receptionist just said that I didn't have any of the disorders that they tested for. So I asked what my red count was and when she told me--it was totally normal! You'd have thought they would have told me that straight away, without my having to ask. Especially because I was still taking the iron pills while pregnant. I was furious. To make matters worse, I saw Dr. Sayed around the same time and she, too, was alarmed that I was still nursing my then-16 month old whilst pregnant. She flat-out told me that if I continued that I would miscarry. I think I was even more upset at this because later I *did* miscarry and I know that she was wrong about the breastfeeding, but now I feel like she'll be like, "See, I told you so!"

Wow, sorry for this rant. Sometimes I get really discouraged and frustrated at how very difficult it is finding a decent doctor. It seems like as soon as I find one, they go on and do something that makes me unable to trust them. Is it just me?

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#23 of 26 Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 PM

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit... I've never had a vax friendly doc. One doctor (that I left shortly afterward) said, "You really need to get this shot (for menengitis) because I've SEEN what it can do to kids if you don't." They still haven't had it but now that my kids are older, I don't have as tough of a time refusing. I would first get a lecture, get pamphlets, handouts and then have to sign a form saying that I refused. It was discouraging but I managed.

Now I only take the kids for their yearly physicals...but I'm not even sure why I do that since we homeschool. It's not required and they are healthy. Anyway, I travel pretty far for their doctor and I haven't switched yet because I haven't found anyone near me that I like. I'm also in SE Michigan so I'm going to continue watching this.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#24 of 26 Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Hello, I live in Southfield and am searching for a non-vaccine friendly pediatrician/family doctor in our area. Anyone have suggestions?
#25 of 26 Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 AM

Just FYI, Dr. Krugger is not accepting new patients as I just called to inquire :(  Bummed after reading such good things about her... I live in Plymouth and am also looking to change pediatricians.  If I find someone I like, I will post the info Amerigo25!

#26 of 26 Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks kriscali!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page