UM CNM/ Ann Arbor Doula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately, due to a frightening complication in the middle of pregnancy, it seems as if my homebirth is probably out the window. I'm really sad to let go of that, but will be thankful if this pregnancy (i'm 21 weeks) continues. After a few trips to the emergency room last week and the High Risk Clinic at U of M, I realize that I need to find another provider for my more routine checks... I'm getting sick of OB residents (though, most of the staff at Triage have been terrific). At this point, besides some alarming bleeding, I am supposed to continue 'as if it were a normal pregnancy.' If things do clear up or stay stable, I will be able to birth with a CNM in the hospital. But, from the birth of my DD in another state, I know to DEFINITELY get a doula if I'm going to be in the hospital. So.... I'm looking for recommendations. Both for a CNM out of UM and an experienced doula w/ both VBAC and hospital deliveries (and perhaps, ugh!, c-section).
#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maemaemama View Post
So.... I'm looking for recommendations. Both for a CNM out of UM and an experienced doula w/ both VBAC and hospital deliveries (and perhaps, ugh!, c-section).

Stacia Proefrock is a homebirth midwife that also provides doula services. She's wonderful! But I do work with her so I may be a little prejuideced

She's worked many times with the CNMs there too, so I'm sure she'd have some recommendations.

Stacia's website is www.trilliumbirthservices.com and she posts on here as Defenestrtor

Christa
#3 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maemaemama View Post
Unfortunately, due to a frightening complication in the middle of pregnancy, it seems as if my homebirth is probably out the window. I'm really sad to let go of that, but will be thankful if this pregnancy (i'm 21 weeks) continues. After a few trips to the emergency room last week and the High Risk Clinic at U of M, I realize that I need to find another provider for my more routine checks... I'm getting sick of OB residents (though, most of the staff at Triage have been terrific). At this point, besides some alarming bleeding, I am supposed to continue 'as if it were a normal pregnancy.' If things do clear up or stay stable, I will be able to birth with a CNM in the hospital. But, from the birth of my DD in another state, I know to DEFINITELY get a doula if I'm going to be in the hospital. So.... I'm looking for recommendations. Both for a CNM out of UM and an experienced doula w/ both VBAC and hospital deliveries (and perhaps, ugh!, c-section).

I'm so sorry to hear your pregnancy isn't going quite how you imagined, but I'm glad for you that you have the presence of mind to know that you'll benefit from a doula and a CNM for a hospital birth.
I can recommend Helen Stockton. She's a CPM and also occasionally takes on hospital doula work. I'm her midwifery apprentice. Her website is here .
She's really passionate about mother's education and empowerment and making sure that moms are being respected and listened to. Check it out!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I second Stacia! She does a great job!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM

I third stacia. SHe was amazing during my birth.
A M A Z I N G.

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Stacia was my homebirth mw and I her! She is very familiar w/the UM CNMs.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page