yah for Bussiness of Being born!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw it awhile ago but finally got DH to watch it tonight and he really watched it and really liked it.
Before the movie he was very anti home birth for our third due in April. The first two were hospital births.
Well after the movie he is saying that he is still anti home birth but not because he doesnt feel sage, which was the reason before. Now its because we have a small place, no where for a birth tub and doesnt want to ruin our bed doing it there.
He says he is comfortable with a birth center so I was showing him The Birth Place in Taylor and Providence ABC.
The problem with the Birth Place is that its an hour or more away. Providence is about 45min.
I am liking the idea of providence because from what very little I have read it may be covered by BCBS.
So right now I am lost on what to do. Who do I call?? Who do I meet with?? What do I say??
I have no idea where to go from here. I have never done anything like this. With my first birth, I just went with the Henry Ford doc that I was given and with my second, that doc was recomended by my mother in law. I liked him up until recently and now because of a recent comment he made I am really unhappy.

So someone please tell me what to do from here!!!

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow! That's great! I would ask you to consider what you are looking for in a birth center birth, before you start making calls, though. Though the ABC is mostly run by midwives, it is STILL overseen by the medical model of care. The head of Obstetrics still makes the final rules, and "allows" the final protocols. If you are looking for a hospital birth that is MORE like homebirth, this is the place to go!

However, if you are looking for a completely non-medical environment, no checking in, filling out more paperwork after you've already preregistered, knowing EXACTLY which midwife and attendants will be there when you get there? Then the birthplace in Taylor is the drive to make. Really, I strongly suggest that you call BOTH places, TOUR both places, and see where you feel most comfortable, and with whom you feel most strongly drawn to as far as birth attendant goes. Honestly, if you are looking for a homebirth but your DH isn't comfortable with it, it is most likely that you will feel more comfortable with the care given to you at The Birth Place. I cannot make the choice for you, but I have had the experience with clients that they are more than happy to drive an hour and a HALF to get to The Birth Place, if it's the place they feel safest birthing their baby.

Again, I would call both places, and check them out. Go for a meet and greet, talk about philosophy, talk about transports/transfers of care. Talk about what YOU want, and their tolerance levels for your birth plan. Read their non-verbals, too. See with whom you are most comfortable. If you can at ALL afford it, please do NOT make the choice based on whether they take your insurance. Make this choice dependant on whether you feel most comfortable in that space, with that person in your birth space.

The ABC has a monthly tour, and you can make an appointment to meet with one of the staff to talk about birthing there. Bridgette at The Birth Place has regular hours and you can meet her and take a look around at the same time.

Have fun making the choice!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamae View Post
Well after the movie he is saying that he is still anti home birth but not because he doesnt feel sage, which was the reason before. Now its because we have a small place, no where for a birth tub and doesnt want to ruin our bed doing it there.
!
I've done quite a few births in small apartments and houses, so if that is your main concern, there are ways to work around it. Some people set up the tub in the center of their living room (move the coffee table out of the way, if you have one). Some that have a nursery, birth in there (they fold their crib up).

There are ways to protect the bed so that it doesn't get ruined. You can put a shower curtain or plastic backed table cloth on the bed, under some old sheets. Or if you want to spend a little more money, you can get a waterproof cover that goes over the whole mattress and zips up. If you choose to birth on the ground, we're pretty good about following you around with blue pads to stick under wherever you end up : )

I hope you have a great birth, whichever way you choose to go!

Christa
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamae View Post
He says he is comfortable with a birth center so I was showing him The Birth Place in Taylor and Providence ABC.
The problem with the Birth Place is that its an hour or more away. Providence is about 45min.
I am liking the idea of providence because from what very little I have read it may be covered by BCBS.
So right now I am lost on what to do. Who do I call?? Who do I meet with?? What do I say??
I have no idea where to go from here. I have never done anything like this. So someone please tell me what to do from here!!!

Yaaa for you! That's truly uplifting. Follow your heart.
Did you check out Mother's Own Birth Center? I attend births there as an assistant and offer complimentary massages to the clients. It is a great place.
www.mothersownbirth.com

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
Old 10-03-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikitiki View Post
Yaaa for you! That's truly uplifting. Follow your heart.
Did you check out Mother's Own Birth Center? I attend births there as an assistant and offer complimentary massages to the clients. It is a great place.
www.mothersownbirth.com
I did look at that one but its even further. I know the drive may be worth it but I am also thinking about the rest of my family that may not want to drive there to help and be there. If possible I would like my girls to be there but that also means having someone else there to take care of them.

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011

User Tag List