Did you decline eye ointment in a MI hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi gals,
I'm pregnant, as is a friend of mine. She said that she got a pamphet from her doctor that said that the antibiotic eye ointment at birth is state law and mandatory. I know that many of you have declined the eye ointment, and I wanted to hear your experiences in MI hospitals. My friend is delivering at St. Joe's in Ann Arbor, if anyone has experience there.

1)Is this state law?
2) What is the process for declining it?
3)What was your experience declining it- did the staff give you a hard time?

Thanks, gals.

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Congrats!

My son was born in Jan '06, and we had no problem decling it at St. John's Providence Hospital in Southfield. We just told the staff we didn't want it.

Have you asked your doc or midwife about it?

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Scorpio, were you at the ABC or the regular l&d?

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:07 PM

I was at the ABC. I think *most* of the ABC moms decline it.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM

I declined it at Sparrow in Lansing. That was may of last year. No problems

Casondra ~Jesus Loving wife to Christopher, Momma to my c-section babies Calvin(9),Catherine(5),Carolynn(4)and Chloe(2) expecting a new one August 2013.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonie716 View Post
I declined it at Sparrow in Lansing. That was may of last year. No problems

Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is a paper that you sign to decline it, as well as vit K. You can go onto mi.gov and search for it, print it, and bring it with you. Your doc is PARTIALLY correct. It "is" considered mandatory. However, you also have the legal right in Michigan to decline without penalty for any reason you so choose. Just have the paper with you. Some hospitals choose to call CPS on you, but because you are WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS to decline, they have no grounds to do anything but show up and say that they are there, and then leave.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 AM

courtenay, I can't find it on the website. Can you help?I already know the hospital where I plan on delivering is pretty loose about it, but I like to be prepared.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM

I believe the actual law is that a provider MUST provide the eye ointment... it is NOT law that the parents must accept it. I'm in Grand Rapids ~ but I've never heard of anyone having any trouble in the hospitals here declining the eye ointments.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM

I declined the eye ointment in March at Providence. I started in the ABC, but was transferred to L&D. I still had my midwife, but the nurse was very good with going along with our requests.

I didn't have the paper- I just told her no eye ointment and that was that.

Good luck!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM

I was at the abc and declined, as well. No probs, no issues, no questions asked, really. I'd just be sure that your wishes are known to your doc, mw, nurse, etc.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 AM

I tried to decline it at Beaumont, but they wouldn't let me.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Was it Troy Beaumont?

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 PM

I just meet with the baby doc today and he told me it's no problem to decline it, that with a waiver your allowed to decline anything you want to.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 AM

I delivered in L&D at Herrick in Tecumseh, MI in '07 and had no problems declining. I don't recall signing anything either, if I did it was the next day. I had a really tough labor and my doctor had recalled my mentioning it in an appointment a few months earlier and told the nurses for me. My nurse came over and asked me to confirm and then asked the other nurse to take it out of the room so no one mistakenly used it.

It's such a weird requirement, it's really not enforceable, at least that's what my doc said. He didn't seem concerned in the least and my dd DID devolop an eye infection.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM

I've known moms who have problems with Beaumont and with U of M. I haven't heard of any problems elsewhere.

If they try to force your hand, ask to speak to your patient advocate.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden's Mom View Post
I've known moms who have problems with Beaumont and with U of M. I haven't heard of any problems elsewhere.

If they try to force your hand, ask to speak to your patient advocate.
My cousin had her baby at UM and they raised h*ll! It was a several hour "fight" with them telling her she had to have it. I told her she could refuse and when she mentioned I was a lawyer they left her alone. Lo and behold, after I left the hospital they descended upon her room with threats of CPS, police, etc., and she caved.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 AM

I declined in Kalamazoo with both of my children and had no problem whatsoever. I didn't even need to sign a waiver or anything of the sort. Just a verbal, " No, thank you. We will opt out of the eye ointment." I didn't have a fight with my son, I was asked why once with my daughter.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 PM

No problem at McLaren in Flint!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

I declined at St Joes in Ann Arbor- they gave us no problems - just a supervisior brought us a form to decline it.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 AM

i declined it and i do remember signing something that stated that i was declining it.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 AM

Just make sure your partner or support person that is with you at the birth knows you're declining.... we had such a great, euphoric vbac that after some beautiful skin-to-skin the nurse asked so politely if she could take the baby to get weighed, etc. (it had been like a half hour, lol) and hubby was watching, taking pics, etc. when before I knew it, the drops were in. I yelled no drops! but it was too late, but the nurse actually ASKED "Is the vit K shot OK then, or not?" and I was able to answer to my liking. Hubby just didn't remember we had declined for my older son and I forgot to review with him.

This was at Sparrow in Lansing... IME they are very supportive of parents wishes.

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 AM

I just declined at Crittenton. I don't remember if I signed anything refusing it or not, but it was no issue.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 AM

Troy and Royal Oak forced us to accept them- threatened cps and we didn't know our rights .

But I just was a doula(-in-training) on a birth a couple months ago at providence and they were COOL with it.

Beamont is with the dinosaurs I swear. I had my kids on the weekends and they actually told me their lactation department was off on the weekends so i would have to COME BACK on monday to get any help. WTH?

GLAD I have and know about other options now.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM
PJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvingmamma View Post
Beamont is with the dinosaurs I swear. I had my kids on the weekends and they actually told me their lactation department was off on the weekends so i would have to COME BACK on monday to get any help. WTH?
Wow, I didn't know that feeding babies was optional on the weekends. And yet they threaten to call CPS if you don't OK the eye ointment? Talk about screwed up priorities. I guess if you give birth on a Friday night and have a problem with breastfeeding, you're just supposed to give them a bottle? How nice and supportive of them.

On another note, can someone clue me in on the reasons so many people decline the eye ointment? I am pregnant with my first and have not yet had a chance to research the eye ointment and vitamin K shot. There's so much to read and research! If anyone can help me out with the pros and cons of the eye ointment and vitamin k shot, that would be awesome.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJK View Post
Wow, I didn't know that feeding babies was optional on the weekends. And yet they threaten to call CPS if you don't OK the eye ointment? Talk about screwed up priorities. I guess if you give birth on a Friday night and have a problem with breastfeeding, you're just supposed to give them a bottle? How nice and supportive of them.

On another note, can someone clue me in on the reasons so many people decline the eye ointment? I am pregnant with my first and have not yet had a chance to research the eye ointment and vitamin K shot. There's so much to read and research! If anyone can help me out with the pros and cons of the eye ointment and vitamin k shot, that would be awesome.
The eye ointment is prevent blindness in infants born to moms with an STD (specifically gonherra, I believe, though their may be a second). All babies are given the eye ointment as a CYB sort of thing, regardless if they are born vaginally or not. Eythomyocin drops are very inexpensive and the cost to give them to all infants is less than the risk of the infant being exposed the STD. The hospitals figure that any woman that is sexually active is at risk for the STD, regardless of monogamy or past STD test results.

However, the eye ointment presumably stings and it clouds the infants vision, possibly causing issues with bonding. Not to mention the over use of antibiotics is leading to antibiotic resistent bacteria. It doesn't make sense to treat all infants therefore.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM

I declined twice with the Midwives at Mclaren in Flint without even signing a waiver. No probs But I know others at St. Joe's Livingston that have had a beast of a time trying to so!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Declining the erythromycin at Sparrow in Lansing was a breeze, but the Vitamin K was another story- I had so many people asking me repeatedly about that. Same with the Hep B vaccine- they just would not take "I do not consent" for a final answer, and asked me each blasted day I was there. The resident for the Peds came in with a legal pad and a pen and asked in a very patronizing tone, "So, what is your excuse for declining Vitamin K?" After talking to her, she finally took my "no" to mean "no."

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

We declined both Hep B and the eye drops at Sparrow in Lansing with no issues, with both kiddos.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM

We declined everything- hep B, eye ointment, vitamin k with no problem in April/06 at Bon Secour (which has since changed to Beaumont). My sister just had her daughter there in September (after the change to Beaumont) and she declined everything without a problem. The only person that had an issue with it was the hospital pediatrician, he wanted her to have the vitamin k but she stuck to her guns and it wasn't a problem.

User Tag List