Need AP and Vax friendly ped in NE Ohio! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh So, I think it's time for me to switch peds. I've been relatively happy with him to this point, but we just clash on too many issues and today at DD's one year visit he made DH and I feel like terrible, uneducated, trend-following parents because we told him we want to delay the MMR (which we had already discussed with him at a previous visit...). We explained our reasons (shouldn't have needed to), provided our resources (he doesn't know who Dr. Sears is...) and he literally said "that's not good enough" but then reluctantly did not give her the shot (after a stern lecture). He also told us that she should have been STTN at 6 months and that I need to convince her that she's not hungry in the middle of the night (haha ), and wrote us a prescription for iron and flouride vitamins, since he doesn't suppose I'll be done breastfeeding any time soon.

Based on what I've seen so far, I also don't think he'll be too keen on taking on a home-birthed baby (hopefully soon we'll have another!).

So, after all that...does anyone have a ped that they love, who is AP and vax friendly? I've asked our LLL ladies and most have peds that they like, but can't be totally open with...

I'm in Kent, but am willing to travel a bit if needed.

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#2 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Bump!

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#3 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Hi! My ped is in Cuyahoga Falls, the practice is called the Total Family Practice, with Doctor Tricia French. She's in the books. I switched to her because my old ped literally told me "you're stupid and you need to find a new pediatrician" when I said I didn't want to vax my DD. Dr. French is great. Call her, try her out, see what you think!
HTH!
#4 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, thank you, I will call her today! I found one from the Vaccine Book website but he's in Chesterland, so CF is MUCH closer
Do you know how she feels about AP in general? Family Bed, Babywearing, Extended Breastfeeding, etc.?
Is she a ped or a family doc? Doesn't matter, just curious! Thanks again!!!

#5 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else? I'm more concerned that the doc be AP friendly than alt. vax friendly (though I think the former will lead to the latter...).
Thanks!

#6 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM

We used the Dr in Chesterland before we moved (to MI) and he's great. Vary calm, quiet, talk with the child not over them to mom/dad; has no problem w/ homebirth babes, etc... he may start a conversation typically, but if you state your opinion he's ok w/ that.

we switched to him between the first 2 kids, and honestly, he is difficult to get into-- very busy practice, schedules several weeks in advance, etc. when i first called he wasn't taking new patients, so i called once a week or so until he had an opening...

with our 3rd, we talked to him before she was born about delayed vax, and someone else had just given hime The Vac. Book and he'd been emailing Dr S, so was very familiar and quite willing to work with us... when we went in for her 6 mo, the pa said "no vax today?" and i said right, she said ok, and went on with the ht/wt, etc so i think as a practice they see a wide range. he did say, when we declined the chik pox vax for the older boys that if they didn't catch it by puberty he'd want to bring it up again with us at that time; and they do hand out those cdc info sheets, but i really never felt any pressure about it...

i know it is quite a drive from kent, so i hope you can find someone closer; but i think he's be worth it if you need to!

hth!
#7 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

MamaGlow - Thank you! I did call that ped this morning (before I even read your post!) and made an appointment He didn't have an opening for 2 weeks, but that is fine with us as DD just had her 1 year check, and in the future we'll be scheduling well-visits in advance anyway. I'm glad to hear he is ok with homebirthed babies - now to get DH on board...

I did ask the receptionist a few questions and she was helpful - basically said that "the parent is always right" which I like

I wish he was closer, but if he's a good fit then it's worth it.

I also talked to the doctor in CF but didn't feel a good fit with her :P More of a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda person which I'm not as comfortable with - that's how the problems with our current ped started, which then led to DH and I feeling like we had to hide things. Hopefully we won't have to do that anymore!

#8 of 9 Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM

well, Good Luck! I know you will find the right fit, even if it takes a few tries. Though Maya certainly looks perfectly healthy! LOL. It was good to meet you today, the meeting was great. My kiddos had a blast.
#9 of 9 Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It was nice meeting you, too! Your kids are great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page