Good toddler activities in Northern IN - Mothering Forums
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan > Good toddler activities in Northern IN
Julia'sMom's Avatar Julia'sMom 06:33 PM 10-06-2008
We're traveling to Northern Indiana this weekend for homecoming at VU and plan on making it a long weekend for some family time. We were looking at Shipshiwana and Amish Acres as possibilities. Does anyone know of some good activities for us to do with our toddler in that vicinity?

We also might take time for pumpkin picking, any suggestions on good pumpkin patches to visit?

Ellen Griswold's Avatar Ellen Griswold 12:21 PM 10-07-2008
Hey! VU alum here too! Probably saw that they have fireworks on Friday night now, and, at least in year's past, there are more family friendly activities on campus. (They have at least tried!) Otherwise, you might look in Fair Oaks Farm, south on 65 a bit, but it is a huge working dairy farm with tours and activities, birthing barn, and good ice cream. Chellburg Farm and Bailey Homestead up by the dunes. A really nice apple orchard with tours and petting zoo, the name is totally escaping me.....north of Valpo.....I'll check back in if more comes to me.
Ellen Griswold's Avatar Ellen Griswold 04:19 PM 10-07-2008
County Line Orchard in Hobart. No idea why I couldn't remember that earlier.
Julia'sMom's Avatar Julia'sMom 11:33 AM 10-08-2008
Thanks Ellen! I did look at that orchard, which looks great! I'll also look into the farm. Homecoming will probably bore dd to tears, as we plan on doing some of the tours and such. I don't think she'll be able to stay up for fireworks, but we'll see. We're hoping to do something more fun for her afterwards. Although, we're starting to think that if we get a hotel with a pool, that might just be enough.
blue butterfly's Avatar blue butterfly 03:12 PM 10-08-2008
amish acres is having there harvest days right now, they have a hay ride back to a pumpkin patch, you can roast marshmallows and other fall type activities!
dbsam's Avatar dbsam 01:21 AM 10-10-2008
Ellen Griswold mentioned the Chellburg Farm in Chesterton. I wanted to add that on Fri, Sat & Sun you can help feed the farm animals between 4:00-5:00pm. There are several nice trails near the farm too. You can walk from Chellburg to Baily Homestead. If you go Sun you can tour the historic buildings and learn about the local fur trade & farming in the 1800-1900`s. - not sure if your daughter w/b interested in the actual tour but she might enjoy the hike.

There is also the European Market in Chesterton. My kids always liked people watching, buying cookies:, etc.

The County Line Orchard is nice. There is another place we really like but I cannot remember the name...it's just south of rt 30 I believe on Randolph. (We go every year and I still cannot remember the name! We haven't gone this year.) They have a nice hay ride and a few small attractions for the kids. I just heard this place was unable to open becuase they were hit so hard by the flooding. It's a shame...they seemed like a really nice family and put so much work into their beautiful property and the whole experience.
Ellen Griswold's Avatar Ellen Griswold 04:59 PM 10-10-2008
dbsam, I know where you mean. It's not far from where I live and unfortunately looks terrible!
dbsam's Avatar dbsam 09:35 PM 10-10-2008
You're probably already in town and not online, but...the sunflower festival is also going on this weekend at tht Art Barn. (Sat & Sun 11-5 I think)
Up