Ohio Homebirthing Mamas: I need your help! - Mothering Forums
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan > Ohio Homebirthing Mamas: I need your help!
MrsAprilMay's Avatar MrsAprilMay 04:42 PM 10-11-2008
Hello group!

Ohio Physicians for Midwives is working on creating a statewide database for doctors who support the midwifery model of care. A key objective of OPFM is to assemble a network of supportive physicians who recognize a family's rights of self- determination and to facilitate connecting families with supportive physicians who will care for them.

OPFM welcomes any physician including Medical Doctors, Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Osteopathic Physicians, Pediatricians, Family Doctors, Dentists, Naturopathic Doctor and Chiropractors.
If you know of a doctor who agrees with the OPFM position, please submit a referral at:

http://www.ohiodocsformidwives.org/Forms/referdr.html

While it isn't necessary, it would be very helpful if you would be willing to hand deliver a packet to your doctor. I will be happy to mail one (or more!) out to you. If this is a possibility, please contact me offlist or make a notation on the referral form.

Thank you!

Warmly,

April-May

mommyto3girls's Avatar mommyto3girls 08:11 PM 10-11-2008
My husband is a Chiropractic Physician (and though he said a very sarcastic "Thanks alot for making us last on the list!") we are printing out the forms to send to you.

A bit of did you know? Obstetrics is in his scope of practice, he had 60 hours of obstetrics/gynecology in chiropractic college.
elissa_teal's Avatar elissa_teal 04:44 PM 10-12-2008
What a great list to put together! I homebirthed in Ohio but my midwife is just across the line in Michigan. I didn't see a physician for my pregnancy or my son's birth.

Linda Johnson is my midwife and she owns a free-standing birth center in Temperance, Michigan called Mother's Own.
MrsAprilMay's Avatar MrsAprilMay 04:54 AM 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
My husband is a Chiropractic Physician (and though he said a very sarcastic "Thanks alot for making us last on the list!") we are printing out the forms to send to you.

A bit of did you know? Obstetrics is in his scope of practice, he had 60 hours of obstetrics/gynecology in chiropractic college.
Ah, we saved the best for last! I know I love my chiro! She has worked miracles on kids.

And I have learned something new today.
mommyto3girls's Avatar mommyto3girls 04:18 PM 10-13-2008
Yep, all Chiropractors are required to take a minimum of 60 hours of OB/GYN classes. In Ohio they can do paps, routine gyn care, routine OB care and could deliver in hospitals if any hospital would agree to give them privleges but of course none will. And because of Ohio's screwy homebirth laws, he can't do that either. If we have a baby (and I can stay healthy enough to birth at home) he will be catching and coaching but only officially as "daddy" not as doctor.
MrsAprilMay's Avatar MrsAprilMay 02:39 AM 12-08-2008
Bumping this back up!
PaigeC 12:41 AM 12-10-2008
I had no idea chiros did OB! What can we do to change Ohio into allowing chiros in hospitals?

Not to mention licensing Naturopaths
Up