Green Baby store Rochester, MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was passing through downtown Rochester yesterday, and saw the sign for this. They didn't appear to be open yet. Does anyone know about this, when they're going to be open, whether they're focused on cloth diapers, etc.? I'm excited to see a brick and mortar CD vendor in Oakland County.
#2 of 31 Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Ooohhh....I haven't heard, but please keep us posted! I have heard that there is a pretty cool, new toy store in Rochester? I don't go down there so often, but I'd love to check it out sometime. I love supporting places like that!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#3 of 31 Old 10-12-2008, 04:25 PM

I believe it's the Green Baby. I think they are opening on Oct 15. I'm not sure however if they are going to have CD's
#4 of 31 Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM

I'm excited to check it out. :

FYI, The Funky Frog resale that just moved to downtown is considering carrying some WAHM cds!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#5 of 31 Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM

I was walking by today and notice a few things through the door and in the window display...boxes of G diapers, organic baby carriers, a book by Neil Z. ******: Vaccine Safety Manual for Concerned Families and Health Practitioners: Guide to Immunization Risks and Protection (Paperback), a learning tower...it looks like a cool store and looked close to opening.
#6 of 31 Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

:

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#7 of 31 Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 PM

any excuse to go shopping, makes me happy.
#8 of 31 Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 PM

FINALLY!!! A place to go to buy organic, natural, and eco-friendly baby stuff! We just went and bought little guy 1st pair of shoes! Owner, Michelle was there and was very friendly! She is planning to add lots of cool stuff and have a grand opening! I was so glad to see the Vaccinations Books, Cloth Diapers, Organic Clothes, Natural Toys....but am looking forward to seeing MORE!!!
#9 of 31 Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM

I'll have to go check it out since I live in Rochester Hills!

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#10 of 31 Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

I went last Friday and it really is super cool!
#11 of 31 Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Anyone know when the grand opening is?

I can't wait to check it out!! :

#12 of 31 Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Oh I am so excited to hear there is one nearby! I can't wait to check it out

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#13 of 31 Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM

I went today..and sorry...but I was dissapointed but not surprised. Your typical upscale/overprice boutique yet all organic clothes. I'm all about organic but not about to pay those prices. I honestly don't know how she can afford the rent there and make a profit...it was dead and I couldn't find one thing I wanted to buy. Organic diaper covers - $17! ..and you still have to buy the diaper! I don't know...I guess I feel that the people who really started this "movement" can't afford those prices and I'd rather buy from WAHM. Just my 2 cents.
#14 of 31 Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
I went today..and sorry...but I was dissapointed but not surprised. Your typical upscale/overprice boutique yet all organic clothes. I'm all about organic but not about to pay those prices. I honestly don't know how she can afford the rent there and make a profit...it was dead and I couldn't find one thing I wanted to buy. Organic diaper covers - $17! ..and you still have to buy the diaper! I don't know...I guess I feel that the people who really started this "movement" can't afford those prices and I'd rather buy from WAHM. Just my 2 cents.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Peace- Heather
#15 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
:

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#16 of 31 Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I'll second (or third, or forth ) that!
#17 of 31 Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks for responding. Do you have any plans to carry baby carriers?

#18 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post
Thanks for responding. Do you have any plans to carry baby carriers?
I know she was looking into getting some Moby's from Carrie.
#19 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 07:48 PM

All organic clothing costs more. Do you shop at Whole Foods or buy anything else organic? If so you know that the prices are higher. I was just in and they have GREAT stuff there. All natural and wooden toys NOT MADE IN CHINA! Really cute clothes. Yes, they are a little higher but I would rather pay more for a better product. If you can't afford quality shop at WalMart.
#20 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Hi All,

I am the owner and I want to thank all of you for the support. I can't say too much or it is considered advertising..... so I will be short and to the point. If more people were into the organic movement the prices will go down (I do not set the prices the vendors do). We're not there yet. I wish we were! I believe in what I am doing. I know that getting back to basics is the best thing we can do for our children. We need to get rid of all the crap out there. I also believe that less is more. My child is allowed one toy box, if it doesn't fit it gets donated. I don't let him play with toys made in China. And I will always pay a little more for safety.

Qreat quote that gives me sanity... be the change you want to see in the world!

If anyone has any questions you know where to find me.

God bless and have a wonderful Christmas!:
#21 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medleo View Post
If you can't afford quality shop at WalMart.
Really, everyone that can't afford organic clothes should go to walmart? I'm hoping you didn't mean that the way it reads.

I know organic clothes are expensive and I understand why. I rarely can afford such purchases. However I do try very hard to buy local and or organic when possible.
Greenbaby, I look forward to checking out your shop.

#22 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM

I hope you didn't mean that as rudely as it came off. Just because I don't but organic clothing doesn't mean I don't dress my children in QUALITY clothing. Some people can't afford $30.00 for an article of clothing...some chose to spend their money on things they deem more important. And just becuse ppl don't dress in organic doesn't mean they can't afford to and should shop at wal-mart. Not to mention the fact that your statement is pretty offensive.Especially in this economy when most of us have to be extremely careful with our money.With people losing kobs left and right some don't have a choice but to buy clothing from big box stores that offer a good price.

To greenbaby: Thanks for your post! It means a lot that a business owner would come on here and give us a little insight as to what they are all about and what they are doing in their little corner of the world.I'll be sure to check you out next time I'm up that way!
#23 of 31 Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah, I stopped in shortly after she opened just to browse and I actually thought the prices were very reasonable. My husband grew up in Germany with nice toys, so he loved all of the wooden toys she has in stock.

Emilee
#24 of 31 Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM

No, I did not mean the walmart comment like it was read. I should have said it differently. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
#25 of 31 Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying

#26 of 31 Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM

I also would like to say that I really do support anyone with entrepreneurial spirit, especially in this economy. And I certainly feel that a green baby store is way better then another store that is just in business to market junk to our kids. I appreciate fully that the store is trying to present some very good options to moms and dads, a lot of whom may not have known that there is an alternative to toxic, mass produced toys and clothes that come from countries that don't have a healthy standard for their production (and also contribute massively to multiple global social crises), and many who probably never even thought about it before entering the store. So, in that, I think the shop will certainly serve a purpose, however, for the seasoned mama, who has spent a lot of time researching cloth diapering, baby wearing, and natural parenting because it's a way of life to her, she may not find it all that usefull. I did not see anything that I HAD to have, and I mean that literally. There were plenty of things that I could have indulged in, if finances were different, but there are other resources out there, where we can really be enlightened by other mamas who have really walked the walk, and committed to this way of life, and who provide some real necessities, and my choice would be to support that first. (Not that there is necessairly only room for supporting one or the other, but in MY budget there is). So I wish her well with her business, and hope she is able to realize her goal and enlighten parents and provide them with some fun, earth friendly things.
#27 of 31 Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#28 of 31 Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM

This thread got me thinking, "Does Walmart actually sell organic baby products?" And the answer is yes.

#29 of 31 Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM

I have seen "organic" products at walmart and BRU, the gerber organic clothing is at both places as well as other organic products. Yes they still cost a little more. I hate walmart so I'd rather get the organic product somewhere else, but that is my personal opinion. It's nice that some people who might not have the means to buy the high end organic or green products are still being offered some options. Hopefully I can make a road trip to Rochester and see if there's anything I can indulge in before the holidays! Let's support our neighborhood businesses as much as possible!!!!

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#30 of 31 Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolbut View Post
Let's support our neighborhood businesses as much as possible!!!!
Here, here! I believe it's so important to support local small business.
I'm planning to finally get to this shop tomorrow for a little christmas shopping

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page