Providence Hospital deliveries (non ABC)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone share their experiences with me at Providence? How were the nurses, how were you treated? How was the food? LOL

I have searched this forum, but can't get any results....I'm sure it's been discussed before.

TIA!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM

I think Courtney has done some births there. I bet she'd give some good feedback.
#3 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 PM

I was in the ABC, but I think the food's the same for everyone, so at least I can speak to that. It wasn't bad. There was quite a variety to choose from. I remember loving the omelets, chicken strips, and the ice from the machines on the ward.
#4 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 PM

OMG, the food was terrible. Every meal I was brought a veggie burger.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#5 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 AM

If anyone you know goes to the cafeteria there -- tell them to steer clear of the milk in the cartons. They taste gross, and I'm not sure why (they weren't expired or anywhere near their expiration date either!)

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#6 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I don't recall the vegetarian selection being very good. there was a Mr. Pita on site that my H got lunch from, but I think they're pretty meat-centric, too.
#7 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM

I was transferred to L&D from the ABC and had a really good experience. The delivery nurse I had was very supportive of everything- different positions, delayed cord clamping, no bath, no eye ointment...I think she would probably like to work in the ABC. I was having really bad back labor and had been for about 30 hours. At one point I was tempted by the epidural, but she actually gave me a pep talk not to.

The nurses after were pretty good. They definately supported breastfeeding, but weren't as friendly as the ABC nurses. They pretty much stayed out of the way, though.

I would say it was a good experience, given that I had to leave the ABC.

Good luck!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#8 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM

with dd1 we were a HB transfer to providence. i had a very negative experience. the doctors were very rude and argumentative. i was repeatedly lectured about trying to do something so "foolish" as to have a baby at home, and they hoped i had "learned my lesson" and would never try something like that again.

the only good thing about having dd1 there was the post-birth menu. the food was great for that meal, but once i got moved out into a regular room and had the normal hospital menu, it was gross! the eggs tasted like school paste, flour, and water, and nearly everything served was barely luke warm. i'm veg, and the food selections were very limited. the nurses really wanted to take dd to the nursery, and i was pressured by them and the docs to give her formula.

two friends also had babies there. i don't think either of them were impressed with their experiences (neither of them would go back for the next child). they both started in the ABC, but got booted to L&D. one of them ended up with a spinal headache from a botched epi. not fun.
#9 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM

I got transfered to the regualr L&D from th ABC for about an hour to push.( I needed a bed w/ rails) and I had a very good expirience,The nurses were all very nice and accomadating.The one nurse was especially sweet. I was never pressured to do the eye goop or the first shots. It was overall great. After I delivered I got to go back to the ABC so I have no input on after care.
#10 of 12 Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 PM

I have experience over at Providence ABC and standard L & D. It is going to depend on nurse, staff, and your doc. And that is how it is in most places. You can get lucky and have a great nurse or get unlucky and have someone unsupportive. When people ask me ahead of time (meaning before their doc/mw is set in stone) to birth in an environment they completely trust.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#11 of 12 Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM

With my daughter (5), I attemped a natural birth in the Alternative Birthing Center at Providence hospital. I was two days past my due date and the OB recommended a "natural induction". Because I was already dilated to three, he thought it would be a good idea to break my water to start things. At 11:30am that he did, my little girl was in a posterior position!! (You're supposed to be able to tell by the soft spots on the baby's head too!) With a birth weight of 9 pounds, and no water to float to turn, she did not budge (according to the OB). I was transerred to Labor and Delivery around 9pm for failure to progress. With the pain being so intense and the threat of a potential section, I lost it by about 11pm. I requested an epidural. The anesthesiologist came up, gave me one and nothing, no pain relief, I had a second at about 1am. The anesthesiologist was a jerk and must have been angry that he had to come up again because he really overdid it. Next, the OB told me that he should do a section because he was "a little worried" about the FHT's. The reason was failure to progress. I had only got to 5 centimeters. During the section, I thought I was dying because I felt like I couldn't breath. Way too much anesthesia, to say the least. I couldn't hold my daughter for nine hours, that's how long it took to wear off. I was paranoid that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed, because the nurse had already fed her a bottle. Overall, the most terrible experience of my life.

My experience could have been avoided had I been less naive and trusted everyone there. The most influential parts of my negative experience were my OB's ignorance (breaking my water!) and the anesthesiologist jerk! I suppose someone else's experience may have been different depending on who their OB or midwife is as well as other staff involved.

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#12 of 12 Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post
With my daughter (5), I attemped a natural birth in the Alternative Birthing Center at Providence hospital. I was two days past my due date and the OB recommended a "natural induction". Because I was already dilated to three, he thought it would be a good idea to break my water to start things. At 11:30am that he did, my little girl was in a posterior position!! (You're supposed to be able to tell by the soft spots on the baby's head too!) With a birth weight of 9 pounds, and no water to float to turn, she did not budge (according to the OB). I was transerred to Labor and Delivery around 9pm for failure to progress. With the pain being so intense and the threat of a potential section, I lost it by about 11pm. I requested an epidural. The anesthesiologist came up, gave me one and nothing, no pain relief, I had a second at about 1am. The anesthesiologist was a jerk and must have been angry that he had to come up again because he really overdid it. Next, the OB told me that he should do a section because he was "a little worried" about the FHT's. The reason was failure to progress. I had only got to 5 centimeters. During the section, I thought I was dying because I felt like I couldn't breath. Way too much anesthesia, to say the least. I couldn't hold my daughter for nine hours, that's how long it took to wear off. I was paranoid that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed, because the nurse had already fed her a bottle. Overall, the most terrible experience of my life.

My experience could have been avoided had I been less naive and trusted everyone there. The most influential parts of my negative experience were my OB's ignorance (breaking my water!) and the anesthesiologist jerk! I suppose someone else's experience may have been different depending on who their OB or midwife is as well as other staff involved.
I'd also like to add that I would NOT go there ever again!!!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page