Metro Detroit Traditional Food Eaters? - Mothering Forums
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan > Metro Detroit Traditional Food Eaters?
chambom's Avatar chambom 02:44 PM 10-20-2008
I am just starting to research about traditional foods and was wondering if anybody in the area follows this diet?

Anyone have a recommendation for raw milk?

I made my first batch of broth yesterday and would like to get started with kefir also.

It would be nice to meet people in the area!

Fay's Avatar Fay 03:52 PM 10-20-2008
I am in a raw milk co-op that makes deliveries around Metro Detroit. The Metro Detroit chapter of the Holistic Moms Network has a lot of folks interested in raw & organic & traditional foods, too. You could also check out the Naturally Attached-Michigan discussion board, lots of strong opinions about healthy eating there! I'm in the western suburbs, what part of the metro area are you in?
chambom's Avatar chambom 04:36 PM 10-20-2008
Thanks for the resources.

I am in Royal Oak and saw on realmilk.com that there is a place in Howell and one other, but I think they may have been goat milk. I dont' remember.
ee_lime's Avatar ee_lime 10:17 PM 10-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambom View Post
I am just starting to research about traditional foods and was wondering if anybody in the area follows this diet?

Anyone have a recommendation for raw milk?

I made my first batch of broth yesterday and would like to get started with kefir also.

It would be nice to meet people in the area!

No kefir experience, but I am trying to get some kombucha going from a bottle of GT's. I didn't feed my first batch enough though Good thing kids cry if they are hungry...lol
courtenay_e's Avatar courtenay_e 12:35 AM 10-21-2008
There is at least one chapter of the Westin A Price Foundation in the area, that is where I would strongly recommend you look. Many members of the Rocky Gardens Farms Co-op in Davisburg are members of the WAPF group in the area. They'd be able to give you a TON of info/guidance. There is actually a lacto fermentation class at Rocky Gardens coming up. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll give you the info. The class will cover:

Learn WHY you should eat lacto fermented foods. Learn HOW to make
sauerkraut, kefir, fil mjolk, kombucha, ginger ale.

and crocks will be available at the class as well.

Good luck in your search, otherwise!
Fay's Avatar Fay 11:49 AM 10-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambom View Post
I am in Royal Oak and saw on realmilk.com that there is a place in Howell and one other, but I think they may have been goat milk.
Royal Oak is a great place to be for raw milk drinkers! Hicks Organic Dairy delivers raw milk to RO every other Wednesday! My co-op, Family Farms, is not certified organic yet, but delivers raw milk to a church on Woodward @ Lone Pine every other Friday. Garden Patch Farm out in Pinckney has some great traditional foods, but there's a work requirement for general membership.
poetesss's Avatar poetesss 01:21 PM 10-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
Royal Oak is a great place to be for raw milk drinkers! Hicks Organic Dairy delivers raw milk to RO every other Wednesday! My co-op, Family Farms, is not certified organic yet, but delivers raw milk to a church on Woodward @ Lone Pine every other Friday. Garden Patch Farm out in Pinckney has some great traditional foods, but there's a work requirement for general membership.
Just curious, how much do you pay per gallon of raw milk?
Fay's Avatar Fay 04:31 PM 10-23-2008
$7/gallon for cow's milk, $12/gallon for goat's milk at Family Farms.
Up