has anyone delivered with Jean Phillpotts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having my 5th and don't really want to go anywhere near the hospital, but money is soo tight right now I might consider a CNM if I heard something positive. I want as intervention free birth as possible.
Thanks!
#2 of 30 Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM

A friend of a friend used her and loved her. I don't really know any details except the birth was natural. My sister-in-law had her baby at the hospital where she practices (my SIL did not use her), and the nurses told my SIL that there is only one birthing tub for the entire hospital, so if it's being used by another mom you're out of luck. Hope my little bit of info is somewhat helpul.... Hopefully another poster knows more details....

Mom to my sweet girls Lily (3/14/05) and Miriam (7/10/08) , wife to Scott.
#3 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

I will be birthing with her any time now, and thus far, I am thrilled with her care. She's been very honest and very natural so far, and she's willing to do nearly whatever it takes to help a crunchy mama out. I specifically picked her because of her knowledge of herbs and candida related BFing problems.

Because she delivers in a hospital, there are limits on what she can control (like the jacuzzi), but she also has 2 special larger room reserved for her patients and you can bring a birth tub with you to labor in. The hospital has no protocol for delivering in water, so that's not allowed yet, but she's had mamas labor in their own tubs and is pushing the hospital for a permanent waterbirth tub. Her rooms also feature queen size beds for rooming in and family bed, a birthing rocker, birth balls, etc.

She's been very accepting of the things I've asked for my birth, more like expecting that I will want the baby with me immediately, early BFing, no bath, etc. I told her I want to cut the cord myself and she cheered! She's very supportive of the more natural mindset.

She also has no problems with doulas!

I have had friends deliver with her and really like her, so I'm hoping to report a similar experience.
#4 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!
I just had a great conversation with her last night. She seemed very open and excepting. I will really look forward to that herb knowledge.
I like the idea of supporting this kind of care in hospitals. Maybe it will catch on and be better for our daughters in the future.
Blessings on your birth Teffer :
#5 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks!

Blessedmum, if you are looking for a doula, mine and her backup have both met with Jeannie and her backup has delivered with her already as well.
#6 of 30 Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't really thought about a doula yet.
Could you tell me what you think the benefits are?
How often do you meet with her before delivery?
Thanks so much for the info!
#7 of 30 Old 10-30-2008, 11:43 AM

I wonder if Jeanne can catch VBAC? I think I'll try to call her today. I don't know why I didn't think about McLaren...I'd heard they had a midwife. This would be a lot more convenient for me than Providence (I live in Ortonville).

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#8 of 30 Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM

If you are interested in a homebirth, I would recommend Kate Mazzara. She is very flexible with payment and has offered to work for less with families for whom cost is a barrier. You can find her info on michiganmidwives.org

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#9 of 30 Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Nope....Jeanette can't catch VBAC. UGH!!!!

#10 of 30 Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM

I don't think McLaren allows for VBAC, but I don't think any hospital in our area does either. BTW, congrats on the pregnancy Carrin!

BlessedMum - I've met with my doula 3-4 times already, and I'll let you know about labor. My biggest reason was to avoid being alone since I know at some point my husband is going to have to handle some childcare since most of my family is an hour away. I don't want to labor by myself, or at least, that's what I think now, LOL!
#11 of 30 Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 PM

jeanne was one of my mw for my twin pg. i loved her for that, she was very open, caring. chatty--the woman likes to talk! but she does have limits placed on her by the hospital. my labor ended in a section. (i did not labor with her). she was actually the, uh, not sure what they are called now, but she assisted with my surgery.

my cousin delivered with her and was happy. my sister did too, though i don't know if she's as happy. jeanne didn't come in when she was laboring through the night and she ended up with an epi. jeanne came when the nurses discovered my sister fully dilated. i don't know the full story though. when i was in labor the nurses asked me if i wanted them to call jane (who was the other mw at the time), so maybe they just didn't ask her if she wanted them to call her.

anyway, i can tell you the showers and jacuzzi were not in any way hot. im talking about lukewarm water mamas! you should've heard me complaining about that one!

jeanne told me that there is ONE ob in genesee county that will deliver vbac. i think he (?) is at genesys.

carrin---the greenhouse does vbacs (okemos), and they *may* take insurance. i don't know. i hired kate mazzara for this birth. i like her so far.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#12 of 30 Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM

Genesys actually has a pretty successful VBAC rate. I know of a couple of docs there who catch VBAC.

Helen...I've talked with the Greenhouse a bunch. They do VBAC. They can not get paid thru BCBS due to a previous lawsuit. We have Medicaid for our prenatals, and they can't get paid by Medicaid either. So, I'm stuck between paying tons for a birth or driving down to Novi/Southfield for prenatals and the birth.

I thought you were doing UC....what happened Helen? Sorry to hijack.

#13 of 30 Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
Genesys actually has a pretty successful VBAC rate. I know of a couple of docs there who catch VBAC.

Helen...I've talked with the Greenhouse a bunch. They do VBAC. They can not get paid thru BCBS due to a previous lawsuit. We have Medicaid for our prenatals, and they can't get paid by Medicaid either. So, I'm stuck between paying tons for a birth or driving down to Novi/Southfield for prenatals and the birth.

I thought you were doing UC....what happened Helen? Sorry to hijack.
man that all sucks!! sorry you are in that position. i hope you are able to find something that works out for you.

what happened? sigh. paranoid dh. but im getting there on being ok with it. kate is very respectful and has vowed to be completely out of the way, as in not at all in the same room. she's even talking about giving me the doppler during labor so i can check heart tones. she watched that freebirthing doc on discovery health and was really impressed with it. she though it was wonderful, for whatever that's worth. so anyway....you going to tree city on wed? i think we're going to make it. see you then?

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#14 of 30 Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
Are you sure? I was told both at L&D and from my doctor that the hospital doesn't allow for VBACs, so if you end up with a section, you're just screwed later. Maybe that's changed though.

As for when Jeanne comes in, I guess you can have them call her when you are at least 4 cm. However, I think that you can't check yourself and tell them where you are, so if you won't consent to a check, then they won't call. I'll ask for sure at my appointment Wednesday (if I go that long), because I'd like to be sure. I'll update the thread.

I do have to say that I called L&D to ask a question about a birth pool and got a very negative nurse and then heard another nurse in the background state the actual policies correctly. I really do think nurses can make or break a birth and that you just have to be firm so that their wishes don't enter into your experience. I mean, I had a nurse at Genesys tell me my son would "be retarded" if I didn't give him formula and stop nursing through his jaundice! Her facts were wrong, her manner was awful and she got shut down by the pedi and the charge nurse after I tattled, but one person can really affect you and a less sturdy mom might have listened and folded.
#15 of 30 Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great disscussion!
Carrin hope you find a good solution.
I had an appointment with Jeanne. I like her, but her office is so sterile and like you said Teffer I am afraid of the nurse staff. Wow that nurse sounded retarded herself! The only thing that I dissagreed with was that she would not let me decline the glucose test. I am also worried about what happens if she is not on call.
I think that if I can figure out how to afford it I will end up back at Greenhouse. It is sooo worth it, they pamper you like a queen.
I will be praying that all goes smoothly for your birth Teffer.
#16 of 30 Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM

What about Mother's Touch Midwifery - they have a birth center in Lapeer? Not sure if that's near you.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#17 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM

I called A Mother's Touch several times when I was first pregnant and no answer. I thought maybe they'd closed?!?
#18 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
I called A Mother's Touch several times when I was first pregnant and no answer. I thought maybe they'd closed?!?
I wonder what number you called? I don't know that they have a phone at the center....just their cell phones. Hmmm.....

#19 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM

You know, I don't recall the number. I googled them and called the number - I think it was on the CfCBY website.
#20 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 PM

I know there is " A Mother's Touch Midwifery" in Colorado too.

#21 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 10:31 PM

I just had a wonderful birth with Jeanne on Monday! There was never a doctor in the room (either physically or hanging over my head threatening), the nurses were helpful and supportive and Jeanne was fabulous. I ended up augmenting with pit after 26 hours of unproductive labor with ruptured membranes, but it was MY decision after trying everything else (and exhausting myself in the process). This was my second birth with the same pattern of starting labor and tapering off, and I felt very empowered by being able to control the augmentation and finally having the birth I wanted. The hospital staff was fabulous the whole time, kind, helpful and out of our way, so I would highly recommend her and Mclaren.
#22 of 30 Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you, yourself, are a midwife or in any other way benefit from posting your information, please PM the OP rather than posting on the thread, in keeping with the User Agreement:
Quote:
Do not post to advertise your product or business.
Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#23 of 30 Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Congratulations Steph! Way to go!!!!

#24 of 30 Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM

I am not a midwife, I just posted about my positive experience?!!?

Thanks, Carrin. I'm very excited that it all went well.
#25 of 30 Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM

I think she's referring to Jen's post about Goldie and Kathy.

#26 of 30 Old 11-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Ohhh, must be the babymoon bliss that makes it hard for me to follow a thread...Thanks, Carrin!
#27 of 30 Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Teffer,
Congrats on your great delivery!! And thanks for keeping us posted.
Prayers for a happy babymoon time
#28 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Are you talking about this birth center: http://www.mothersownbirth.com/ (Mother's Own Birth Center?) or is ther another one?
#29 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Nope.

I delivered at Maclaren hospital in Flint.
#30 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth911 View Post
Are you talking about this birth center: http://www.mothersownbirth.com/ (Mother's Own Birth Center?) or is ther another one?
We're talking about one in Lapeer run by Goldie Parker and Kathy Milosh. They do not have a website yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page