Meijer vs. Door to Door Organics... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Michigan mamas....help me out here please! I was thinking about doing DTD organics. So, I made a list of everything in this week's large box and took it to Meijer.

The large box contains:
5 Apples
5 Kiwi
1 lb Red Plums
1.5 lb Red Pears
4 Valencia Oranges
1 Acorn Squash
8 oz Baby Spinach
1 Bok Choy
1 bunch carrots w/tops
1 lb cucumber
1/3 lb garlic
1 green cabbage
1 green leaf lettuce
1 bunch green onions
1 red kale
1 lb Roma tomatoes
1 dill
6 bananas

Meijer did not have any dill at all, and the acorn squash, bok choy, green cabbage, green onions and roma tomatoes were not available in organic. I substituted the cost of three romaine hearts for the green leaf lettuce. Still, buying everything on the list using the full price, some items were on sale and I did not take that in account, it would cost $37.15 for the mix of organic and conventional foods, sans the dill. The DTD box is $55.00. I doubt the difference in cost for the five conventional and one missing item would be $17.85. If I took into account the organic items that were on sale, the cost difference would probably be $3-4 more.

Here are my dilemmas. I need to save money, but I also don't like the idea of buying organic foods packaged up to look like conventional foods. I like the idea of buying local, which Meijer does a decent job of, IMO. Still, I was in love with the idea of having farm fresh produce delivered : Though not in love enough to justify the increased cost. Although, I would like more variety than Meijer offers. Does anyone know if the quality of the DTD produce would offset the increase in cost? Meijer is literally in the middle of my five minute commute from home to work so the gas savings of having the food delivered is not a savings at all, I have to drive behind the store to get to work. Can anyone tell I am trying to justify DTD to myself, lol? Any thoughts on Meijer organics in general? TIA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM

We have just stopped getting DTD because we need to majorly cut costs. I have begun to use Meijer and yes, the cost savings for us has been significant. There were also several times when I wasn't totally happy with the DTD product, but they did make up for it when I complained via phone with either a credit or extra produce the following week. I also found myself spending a bit less at Meijer because I bought what I wanted and more of what was on sale.

I agree that it is wonderful to help out local growers but as you stated, Meijer does do a good job of this.

Good luck with your decision.
Kelly

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, thanks for the response...I really wanted to love DTD, really!!! I called them last Wednesday to ask about starting a co-op and have yet to receive a return call so maybe it just isn't meant to be!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM

I did DTD organics a while ago and stopped because of cost. At least at that time, it wasn't local produce. The list you posted sure isn't all local if any of it is. SO it isn't exactly "farm fresh" or any fresher than Meijer anyway.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I run a co-op and get the medium box every week. I believe that the large box does NOT reflect much of a cost savings. However, I believe that the medium box really does. I took it to the grocery store with me, and it gives me what I want, with more selection in organic. If I don't like what they offer, I often get a lot of what I DO like in exchange for it (for example, we don't eat much in the way of beets or hot house tomatoes, but eat a ton of apples, carrots, bananas and kiwi), so it works out well for me. My kids have asthma, and my husband is fighting incurable sarcomas...in MY case, the $34 a week is what I would spend anyway, and with more (obviously in this case, ALL) organics for the money, which is really important to me. We'll hold on to the organics as long as we can. I, too, have had an issue here and there with communications with DTD in the last couple of months. But, overall, we have had a great experience with them.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM

You guys are way ahead of me. We just got a meijer and I'm just geeked at the volume of organics available! Before I was buying organic when it was available and regular produce when it wasn't.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I run a co-op and get the medium box every week. I believe that the large box does NOT reflect much of a cost savings. However, I believe that the medium box really does. I took it to the grocery store with me, and it gives me what I want, with more selection in organic. If I don't like what they offer, I often get a lot of what I DO like in exchange for it (for example, we don't eat much in the way of beets or hot house tomatoes, but eat a ton of apples, carrots, bananas and kiwi), so it works out well for me. My kids have asthma, and my husband is fighting incurable sarcomas...in MY case, the $34 a week is what I would spend anyway, and with more (obviously in this case, ALL) organics for the money, which is really important to me. We'll hold on to the organics as long as we can. I, too, have had an issue here and there with communications with DTD in the last couple of months. But, overall, we have had a great experience with them.
Thanks! I will try the medium box. My goal is also 100% organic, we are also battling health issues and I am so angry at myself for not going totally organic in prevention of rather than reaction to illness. Anyway, I assumed the large box would be the best deal and with 6 of us, it's what I think I need. Maybe ordering the medium and supplementing with Meijer will work. My meijer has organic bananas for $.69/lb all the time and conventional are only $.10 less, so things like that I think I would skip from DTD and get more of the things that aren't available, like cabbage. I'll try the medium box list tomorrow and post the results. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

So I just dug up my notes to see if I could make enough sense of them to decipher what the Meijer cost of the medium DTD box would be....drum roll.....

The medium box is a better deal!!! I'm so glad you posted Courtenay, I would have never checked!

Not including the acorn squash, bok choy, green cabbage, green onions or roma tomatoes and substituting three romaine hearts for the green leaf lettuce, my meijer total would be $26.36. I'm skeptical about being able to purchase the missing items for less than $8.00.

So, I am going to try to reach DTD again about starting a co-op and supplement my produce with the items easily found at meijer. I should mention that we do live in a lower cost area. When we first moved here from Monroe, I was still getting the Sunday paper from Monroe as well as Adrian and the meijer ad for Monroe was always slightly higher. Savings with DTD may be greater for those in more costly areas...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM

ITA!! We just moved to MD from IN, btw.

When we first moved I signed up with DTD, because I wanted to stay organic but knew that it would be a while before I would want to go searching for stores in the area.

I started out with the large box but found that I was constantly needing to switch out things and that some were just not useable for our family.

Almost all of the time the quality was excellent, btw. The very few times there were true problems with quality (moldy cantaloupe one week, missing potatoes another) I sent an email. Each time they credited my account immediately without question. Having run a produce co-op myself while in Indiana, I totally understand that you cannot control everything...the best you can do is make it right when it's not, KWIM.

So, anyway, a few weeks in, I decided to switch to a medium box and then add in the stuff we wanted over and above that. This worked great. The price was good and it gave me flexibility to add in things like organic grapes.

Finally, though, a few weeks ago I found an excellent organic market down the road that meets our produce needs and WAY beats DTD's prices....so I discontinued our box.

So, I agree with the others: try the medium box. At least for the winter, you can't beat organic produce showing up on your doorstep. And they do try to utilize local sources as much as possible.

HTH,

Maryhippie.gif

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Glad I can help. Be persistent, she can be in and out of the office, and it can take several calls or emails to get her attention to start. BUT once you get ahold of her it goes pretty quickly. And, frankly, if she knows she's getting a co-op out of the deal, she will probably respond more quickly...What I would do is find people to participate in the co-op (you only need a total of four, including you, and people can go bi-weekly on the box, so as long as you have four people picking up a box every week, they consider it a co-op). Once you have four people for the co-op, call and email and tell her you would like to start asap. What she SHOULD do then is have you all sign up online and in the comments box put the "name" of your co-op, which they can just call by YOUR name. The original online receipts will NOT reflect the co-op price, but then she will send you a new receipt that DOES reflect the co-op prices as soon as she inputs your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
So I just dug up my notes to see if I could make enough sense of them to decipher what the Meijer cost of the medium DTD box would be....drum roll.....

The medium box is a better deal!!! I'm so glad you posted Courtenay, I would have never checked!

Not including the acorn squash, bok choy, green cabbage, green onions or roma tomatoes and substituting three romaine hearts for the green leaf lettuce, my meijer total would be $26.36. I'm skeptical about being able to purchase the missing items for less than $8.00.

So, I am going to try to reach DTD again about starting a co-op and supplement my produce with the items easily found at meijer. I should mention that we do live in a lower cost area. When we first moved here from Monroe, I was still getting the Sunday paper from Monroe as well as Adrian and the meijer ad for Monroe was always slightly higher. Savings with DTD may be greater for those in more costly areas...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

User Tag List