Can anyone recommend a wonderful lactation consultant in SE Michigan? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine needs to find a wonderful lactation consultant. She is located in Clawson, and needs someone right away. Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with the person you recommend? I will forward your responses right to my friend. Thank-you in advance for your suggestions!

Lara
#2 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Cathy Holland is in Grosse Pointe and she's awesome. She has helped me over the phone when I've had concerns with my clients. Her number is (313) 822-8858. Barbara Robertson is great too, but she's in Ann Arbor (she will travel).

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#3 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I emailed her your message. I am rooting for them and just know that they can do this with the right support person. Again, thank you, thank you!!
#4 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalara View Post
A friend of mine needs to find a wonderful lactation consultant. She is located in Clawson, and needs someone right away. Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with the person you recommend? I will forward your responses right to my friend. Thank-you in advance for your suggestions!

Lara
I agree with Kristen, Cathy and Barbara are great. I'd recommend them both too.

My partner, Wendy, is not a certified lactation consultant, but she is pretty experienced at dealing with breastfeeding issues too. You can find her phone number and email address at www.nineshortmonths.com

Christa
#5 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Cathy Holland is wonderful. I also had a great experience with Cathy's friend, Susie Scheiwe, IBCLC. Susie was able to help my 1 week old ds latch on for the first time.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#6 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM

i have no experience with cathy or susan, but Wendy is great! she helped me get started BFing with dd1. and barbara robertson is the BEST LC i've encountered out here. my dd1 went on a nursing strike at 8mos old. after riding it out for about 2-3wks on our own, i started trying to find a LC to help. i called anyone and everyone i could get the name of. no one had much interest in making an appt to try and help us out. Barbara drove to MY HOUSE in hazel park and had a really detailed appt with us. she charged me a greatly reduced rate b/c she felt bad she couldn't figure out what was going on, but she was the biggest help i had!

we never got dd1 back to nursing again (i EPed until she was 17mos), but barbara definitely went above and beyond. if i ever need an LC with dd2, i'll call barabara before trying anyone else. she's well worth the drive!
#7 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mmmmmm...is it an advanced issue, do you think? I know a couple of GREAT LLL Leaders whom I'd recommend ...and they are FREE, and off of the top of my head I know of at least one who would drive to Clawson to see what she could do to help. Just a thought.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

This is great, great, great advice. Thank-you so much! I'm passing your messages along right now.

Lara
#9 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm only familiar with LLL leaders in the area... and they are wonderful!!
http://www.llli.org/Web/Michigan.html

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page