Ann Arbor Grocery Field Trip, advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

I am taking a friend of mine to A2 to do some shopping this weekend. She's a 20 yo mama who is very excited about natural living, she EBF, cloth diapers, and is trying to go organic. She's geeked about going to WF. I am not the biggest fan, might get some bulk yummies but I just can't let myself spend what I'd like to at WF.

I am planning to go to TJ's and expect to do well there but what and where is Arbor Farms Market? I saw it as a retailer that our local organic farm, Needle Lane, supplies but I've never heard of it. I'd like to spend the bulk of my budget as locally as possible, obviously neither WF or TJ's is a good option for that. Suggestions are welcome!

For those of you who shop these stores regularly, what order do you go in and what are your "regulars" at each? Obviously that's going to vary from family to family but I'd like to get a general idea.

Also, this is an odd ball question but I need something to bribe my teens into not complaining about watching the little ones on a Saturday so I can take this little field trip. The TJs in Northville carries frozen chocolate covered bananas. I haven't been able to find them the few times I've been to A2. Was I just out of luck or do they not carry them there? When I told oldest dd we were going to TJs, her first question was which one? Then a disappointed oh when I told her, lol. I've made chocolate covered bananas but the TJ's are just perfect and yummy, one of the few things they prefer to my homemade version of their favorite things.

TIA
#2 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 AM

Arbor Farms is on Stadium, between Main St./Ann Arbor Saline Rd. and Liberty. It is off the road a bit, so you have to look for the sign.

My favorite local natural store is the People's Food Coop, on Fourth Ave., just north of downtown. They have lots and lots of local stuff, including great bread and produce, local honey, prepared foods made in-house and by small businesses in the community, etc. It isn't as big as Whole Foods, Arbor Farms, and Plum Market, but I like it. You don't have to be a member to shop there.

Have fun!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 PM

If you're going Saturday, you could also go to the Farmers Market.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#4 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 AM

we have those chocolate covered bananas at whole foods too they are called banana babies!

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#5 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadesal View Post
we have those chocolate covered bananas at whole foods too they are called banana babies!
: Thanks! I try not to go to WF, I get soooo caught up in justifying things I KNOW I can't afford, lol. I'll just have to focus, lol!
#6 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM

You might also want to make a stop at Tree City Diapers--they changed their name, though...ummm...it's The Seedling, or something like that. They carry cloth diapers, breastfeeding, babywearing stuff, cool toys and is just a really cool store. I'll go look up the address and post it.

Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
Hi mamas!

I am taking a friend of mine to A2 to do some shopping this weekend. She's a 20 yo mama who is very excited about natural living, she EBF, cloth diapers, and is trying to go organic. She's geeked about going to WF. I am not the biggest fan, might get some bulk yummies but I just can't let myself spend what I'd like to at WF.

I am planning to go to TJ's and expect to do well there but what and where is Arbor Farms Market? I saw it as a retailer that our local organic farm, Needle Lane, supplies but I've never heard of it. I'd like to spend the bulk of my budget as locally as possible, obviously neither WF or TJ's is a good option for that. Suggestions are welcome!

For those of you who shop these stores regularly, what order do you go in and what are your "regulars" at each? Obviously that's going to vary from family to family but I'd like to get a general idea.

Also, this is an odd ball question but I need something to bribe my teens into not complaining about watching the little ones on a Saturday so I can take this little field trip. The TJs in Northville carries frozen chocolate covered bananas. I haven't been able to find them the few times I've been to A2. Was I just out of luck or do they not carry them there? When I told oldest dd we were going to TJs, her first question was which one? Then a disappointed oh when I told her, lol. I've made chocolate covered bananas but the TJ's are just perfect and yummy, one of the few things they prefer to my homemade version of their favorite things.

TIA
#7 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Found it!

The Little Seedling

355 S. Zeeb Rd Suite C

Ann Arbor, Mi 48103

(we are in the same building as United Bank and Trust)
#8 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmom View Post
You might also want to make a stop at Tree City Diapers--they changed their name, though...ummm...it's The Seedling, or something like that. They carry cloth diapers, breastfeeding, babywearing stuff, cool toys and is just a really cool store. I'll go look up the address and post it.

Cindy
Thanks. My friends in Lenawee Natural Parenting would KILL me, lol. We have a fieldtrip to go see the new store planned for next weekend. It's going to be so very, very tempting though, lol....It is The Seedling, btw, you were right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page