From Colubia/Ellicott City to Catonsville - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
And not in catonsville, but we want to see why this is so cheap (for size/lot): http://www.redfin.com/MD/ELLICOTT-CI.../home/10024470
LOL, too funny, but this is the house that started me house hunting almost 2 years ago! I have been in in several times, and can tell you about it. First, it is old, and therefore pretty cool. It has a dirt cellar, not really a basement, but it has access from the inside and outside. It has a gorgeous stairway. The master bedroom is funny shaped - there is two chimneys in the house but only one working fireplace - the second fireplace is behind a wall I think. The second chimney runs up through the master bedroom, and it causes a wall to be in the MBR that is just odd. The downstairs has high ceilings, and there is a county kitchen added on to the side. It has a wonderful wide front wrap around porch. It also has a detached 2 car garage, with a third bay in the back - great for a woodshop or goats (what I wanted). It also has a nice gazebo in the back that is wired for electricity (a previous owner was an electrician) and there is nice stonework for stepping stones (the most recent owner did stonework).

The property backs up to new developments.

The downside is that the house is on a busy street and the house is fairly close to the street. The house is old enough that I'm sure work needs to be done, and previous work might not all be "up to code".

When we looked at it, it was on the market for $525 by the owner, who bought it for $500k, I think? He lived in Silver Spring and wanted to move his family, but after he bought the house some of his kids refused to move. It was on the market a while and then dropped off, and went back on when it started going though foreclosure I believe.

We finally did buy a house in Columbia - in Long Reach. I hope you find something perfect for you guys!
#32 of 35 Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM

we lived in catonsville for 11 months and could not wait to move out. we had hoped to end up in columbia or ellicott city but at the time could not find something we could afford and was the right size and zip code.

everyone assured us that catonsville was a great choice. my mom is in timonium and one of her good friends lives in catonsville. people here said wonderful things about it and that it was a strong family community.

we lived by the walking trail to old ellicott city.

in the 11 months that we lived there, we knew of two people from our playgroup who had their homes broken into in broad daylight, and these homes were even nicer than our own. we knew one mom that was held up at gun point at an ATM in the heart of catonsville, like the NICE part by the library and post office. this was during the day, and she had her three sons with her.

on 4th of july we did do the parade and then watched TWO drug deals go down in front of babies r us and the party store.

after we moved we learned that a prostitution ring was busted up by the walmart and asain market off of 40.

for us, it was TOO urban. we didn't want to live in an area where we had to think about day time break ins, armed robberies and drug deals as well as prostitution.

and we paid a lot for our house and sold it for even more just 11 mo later. so, to pay a lot for an old home that needs work, and then be faced with pretty serious crimes in your "town" didn't seem like a fair deal. we also NEVER shopped anywhere in catonsville, minus the babies r us if we needed something.

we did love old ellicott city though. we'd go down there to shop, eat, and trick or treat. and the tire park was fun. i think if we had moved to somewhere else in maryland we would've stayed, but catonsville was just not our cup of tea.

ETA: our house was about 50 yrs old and already had all new windows and a new kitchen when we bought it. in the 11 mo we lived there, we put another 20,000 into the house. we updated the electric ( which was insanely out date) and then gutted and redid the master bath ( which was original as was the hall bath). on the first floor we redid the half bath, and then in the dining room we pulled down a fake ceiling and had all new lighting and ceiling installed, same with the basement. most catonsville homes need a lot of updating or TLC type stuff. we did find out when we moved that the two fireplaces/ and chimneys BOTH needed to be completely replaced. basically, there was always going to be some sort of project to get the house up to date.
#33 of 35 Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Very interesting timing on that post danaalex. We just decided yesterday to give up on catonsville. I want to thank you all so much (especially sande!) for all your input and help, but we just can't make it work.

Whenever we finally liked a house (not very often) we'd drive by and not like the street/neighborhood. We were getting so down and frustrated (and broken hearted, as we'd fall in love with a house from the pics online, then hate the location).

So we're back to Columbia. While we know Columbia better than Catonsville, we aren't familiar with all the villages/neighborhoods, so I'm about to post a similar thread to this but for Columbia.

For those that know Columbia (Lorrie!) feel free to come over and give your opinions! Kelsi, maybe you've seen some of these, too!

Thanks again to all!

Elizabeth
#34 of 35 Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM

i personally think that's a great idea

i forget all of the places we were looking, it was all based on zip codes. our realtors told us there were acceptable zip codes in columbia and then unacceptable ones.

my SIL and her hubby and son are in a town house in one of the lesser attractive zip codes. their place is pretty much new, they had their unit built. they love it.

we really did like columbia, the set up as well as how safe we felt. david's is a great market and we loved the open gym ( i forget the name of the place though).

if we had ended up there we probably would've stayed. my husband lost his job 5 mo after we moved into our house and after that there was nothing keeping us in catonsville. he had looked at a couple jobs in balto. but we both wanted out of catonsville so badly. he had been working in columbia, which is why it really was our original goal.
#35 of 35 Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM

deleted because I meant to write in the Columbia thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page