Blue Cross customers' birth choices in jeopardy. Act now! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blue Cross/ Blue Shield has announced to BirthCare, the only CNM birth center/ home birth practice in the area, that they will be switching them to "out of network" in March.

BC/BS customers must communicate to them that this is unacceptable. The type of care provided by BirthCare is not available elsewhere. Whether you have used BirthCare in the past, would like to use it in the future, or just believe that women should have choices for their births, please let your voice be heard. Many have chosen Blue Cross because it has offered this option. Let them know that!

BirthCare would appreciate a copy of any correspondence sent to Blue Cross on this issue. Their address is 1501 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 or [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM

but for women that choose to use them, they will still have to cover the birth center as IN network unless there is another birth center they do cover according to federal law.

hh2.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Federal law may require them to offer Midwives in addition to OBs, but I don't believe it requires them to offer out-of-hospital. I'd love to be wrong on that one, so let me know where we can get that info.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoJo View Post
Federal law may require them to offer Midwives in addition to OBs, but I don't believe it requires them to offer out-of-hospital. I'd love to be wrong on that one, so let me know where we can get that info.
I'd love to know this too since we are planning a homebirth with BirthCare. I will do my research....
Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM

I'll find it. They have to offer in network coverage for out of hospital birth.

hh2.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 04:01 PM

I'm still looking. My computer crashed a few weeks ago, and so I have no documents or old links. Last I looked at the info was in 04 when I was pg with dd.

Where is Lorrie! Seems like something she would know.

hh2.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Here I am. Far as I know they do not have to offer out of hospital options and they only have to offer midwives as an alternative in the state of MD. That is, I believe that is a state law applying to insurance companies and since BirthCare is in Virginia I don't know that the same rule applies.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM

I think they have to provide in-network coverage options for anything in their brochure. As I recall, they explicitly covered homebirth in their '08 brochure. I could be wrong on all this tho =\

I used BirthCare for DS's birth in 01/08 (covered by BCBS)

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Also, BirthCare has asked that letters of protest be sent to the following Blue Cross/Blue Shield staff members:

Shawn McLeod, Director of Provider Information & Credentialing

Susan Zichos, Supervisor of Provider Information & Credentialing

Jason Gajewski, Manager of Provider Information & Credentialing

Address:

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
10455 Mill Run Circle
Owings Mills, MD 21117-5559
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that. Here's the full letter from BirthCare:

December 15, 2008

Attention: BirthCare Clients

As you have been informed, our status as a BlueCross BlueShield In-Network provider may change. We are asking that you write a letter expressing your outrage about your covered options being taken from you. Describe in your own words why you feel that Birthing Centers and Out-of-Hospital options are necessary, the value of BirthCare services to you, your hopes and dreams about your birth experience, why you made the decision to select BlueCross BlueShield as your insurance provider and any other information you feel would be valuable. We ask that you send the following letters to all (3) BlueCross BlueShield staff members involved with this problem;

Shawn McLeod, Director of Provider Information & Credentialing

Susan Zichos, Supervisor of Provider Information & Credentialing

Jason Gajewski, Manager of Provider Information & Credentialing

Address :

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield

10455 Mill Run Circle

Owings Mills, MD 21117-5559

We appreciate all your support and efforts. Please be sure to send us a copy of any correspondence with BlueCross BlueShield regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

BirthCare & Women’s Health
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM

I don't understand why bcbs would write this article, and then change their coverage.

http://www.bcbs.com/news/national/bi...y-options.html

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/133663.php

and this article makes it seem like out of network will still be covered at 70%.

Still looking for my original info though.

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

The percentage of coverage for "out-of-network" providers will depend on what your particular blue cross policy states. There are several different bc/bs policies.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Okay, I'm confused. I have Carefirst Blue Cross / Blue Shield through NCAS, and as far as I know our birth center is 85% covered. My projected birthing date is February 20th, but does this mean if the pregnancy runs into March we will lose our coverage?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM

I am ttc, and just called Birthcare to ask about the next info session. They told me on the phone that as of March 9, 09, they will be out of network. Well, we signed up for BCBS Fed Basic coverage this year, so now we can't use them at all!! Basic does not allow out of network at all. So we'd have to pay as uninsured clients, which is not affordable. I am not yet a BirthCare patient, but I intend to write a letter to BCBS anyway. We thoroughly researched the coverage before choosing BCBS basic, and now I feel like this option is being unfairly revoked, and without warning.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Hi there,
This news really makes me mad! From a financial standpoint, BCBS could save a LOT of money if low risk births (where the mother were interested in natural childbirth) were directed to birth centers instead of hospitals -- in general, my research tells me that birth centers charge a lot less than a hospital....

I'm in a similar boat in that I recently signed up with BCBS at a new job and plan to give birth at a birth center, but at the DC birth center. Anyone know if BCBS is also planning to drop the DCBC as well?

Also, it would be great if someone could draft and share some talking points or a sample letter that folks can send to the officials at BCBS. I don't have the time to draft a full letter myself, but if someone is willing to let me use their words, I'd gladly add my name.....

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM

I'll be interested to see about whether DCBC will be covered after BirthCare is dropped... that would be my next place to go. Have you used them before? Don't know anything about them so more info would be nice.

TIA!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

BCBS has extended open season through January so you can actually change now to someone who will cover out-of-hospital birth.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoJo View Post
BCBS has extended open season through January so you can actually change now to someone who will cover out-of-hospital birth.
And if you do change, write BCBS a letter and tell that you did, and tell them WHY!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM

I wish I could change to another carrier... but have other health issues and several docs, so need to stay with BCBS... plus DH wouldn't agree. :

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM

I have United Healthcare and they would only cover the prenatal visits at Special Beginings birth center, not the fee for the actual birth. I never could understand it.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010

User Tag List