Columbia-Villages, Neighborhoods, Houses - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 01-26-2009, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
Well, I thought about the light point one and it is pretty close to the community garden - closer than I am, so that is a plus if you were interested in gardening! I'm trying to get a plot this year. thanks for keeping us informed. It's hard not to be house-hunting in a way... now I'm living vicariously though you!
I applied for a plot at the Oakland Mill garden. Haven't heard anything yet. In the meantime I am expanding the garden in the yard and have ordered a cherry tree (memorial for Leighanna) and a self pollinating dwarf apple tree. Plan to add four more blueberry bushes to the six we planted last year as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 81 Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I didn't even know there was one! Where is it? So by community garden I assume you mean a big garden where each person essentially rents a plot. So one could do organic gardening but their neighbor could be putting all kinds of junk on theirs? Not sure I'd like that!!

Feel free to live vicariously! I love house hunting and will miss it when we're done! DH said I should do be a real estate agent when/if I ever have a "career". Who knows, maybe I will.
My understanding is that the community gardens are organic. I am also using a big bed at my mother's to grow potatoes this year!
#63 of 81 Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 AM

The Elkhorn community garden is along Oakland Mills Blvd, if you are traveling from snowdon river towards Old Montgomery you will see it on the right - one of the big open spaces. It's just before the turn on the left to the Owen Brown town Center. The plots are often hard to get because people hold on to them for years.
#64 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

So we've just finished negotiating a contract on the Beaverbrook house!!!! http://www.redfin.com/MD/COLUMBIA/51.../home/10127270 . It will not be a short sale (by the skin of their teeth! and ours!) In order to get a better deal from them, we agreed (well, we will be agreeing tomorrow) to settle at the end of this month!!!!! (assuming our lender can do it)

We are so excited and LOVE this house (and neighborhood!!!!)

But now we have to sell our condo!! We can do both payments for a while, but obviously prefer not to. So if anyone knows of someone looking for a thoroughly renovated 2BR/2BA condo in a Dorsey Hall, let me know!!
#65 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM

congratulations!
#66 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM

That's great! Glad you will still be in the neighborhood!:
#67 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Oh, and because it came up, I got an email from the lady in charge of the Elkhorn community Garden:
Quote:
We have a pretty long waiting list, but sometimes we can get people in sooner if they help out one of the gardeners who is sick or injured while they wait for their own plot to open up.
#68 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, and because it came up, I got an email from the lady in charge of the Elkhorn community Garden:
Interesting, mine just wanted every phone number and email I have to contact me with an opening ASAP. So that makes me hopeful that maybe I am high on the list. I don't really have the spare time to help another person and put that work in not to receive the produce. I have little time and many mouths to feed. If the person is too ill to garden they should pass the space on. If I get one I might be able to share it with you if you don't get one. I am about to get my seedlings going this month. Just received all the seeds I ordered from Seeds of Change.
#69 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Interesting, mine just wanted every phone number and email I have to contact me with an opening ASAP. So that makes me hopeful that maybe I am high on the list. I don't really have the spare time to help another person and put that work in not to receive the produce. I have little time and many mouths to feed. If the person is too ill to garden they should pass the space on. If I get one I might be able to share it with you if you don't get one. I am about to get my seedlings going this month. Just received all the seeds I ordered from Seeds of Change.
Thanks! This was in response to the email I sent responding to the request for updated contacts. I didn't contact her until last October, so I am probably pretty far down on the list.
#70 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just to be obnoxious:

I'll have half an acre and no covenants & restrictions, anyone wanna rent a plot?
#71 of 81 Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Just to be obnoxious:

I'll have half an acre and no covenants & restrictions, anyone wanna rent a plot?
You suck! I've got a quarter acre, but restrictions and little good sun...
#72 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 AM

I ignore the restrictions. I have six blueberry bushes and four 4X4 raised beds to garden in. Cherry and Apple tree and 25 strawberry plants coming soon as well. Columbia is going to have to loosen up on the regs if it truly wants to be a green community as it claims. Let folks have solar roof tiles and other stuff too!
#73 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM

I agree - rain barrels are supposed to be under 68 gallons or something, pshaw! also, your compost bin is supposed to have no food waste in it. Hahahahaha!
#74 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I wholeheartedly agree about the conflict between Columbia attempting to be green but outlawing gardening, clotheslines, etc.

On that note, I told DH how excited I am to not have restrictions and specifically mentioned a clothesline, and he said "ugh, how tacky, no you're not" This was his gut reaction. When I explained the problem (oh, you're only environmentally conscious until it offends your sense of class and wealth), then he changed his mind, as long as my clothesline is pretty (just the whites load, I guess )

So we did our taxes last night looking for some cash (refund) to help with this earlier settlement, which is leaving us scrambling!!! Turns out we OWE for the first time ever. DH's income went up drastically from 2007 to 2008 and now we don't qualify for the child tax credit, or for writing off PMI. Now, I am not trying to complain about making "too much" money, but the surprise of owing instead of getting back definitely put a little knot in my stomach.

We'll still make it, by the skin of our teeth! Let's hope we don't have any more surprises!
#75 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I agree - rain barrels are supposed to be under 68 gallons or something, pshaw! also, your compost bin is supposed to have no food waste in it. Hahahahaha!
I have a closed composter wheel that you spin. No animals can get inside it and its small enough I doubt any of my neighbors even know what it is. Do you have rain barrels? I am looking into that next!
#76 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree about the conflict between Columbia attempting to be green but outlawing gardening, clotheslines, etc.

On that note, I told DH how excited I am to not have restrictions and specifically mentioned a clothesline, and he said "ugh, how tacky, no you're not" This was his gut reaction. When I explained the problem (oh, you're only environmentally conscious until it offends your sense of class and wealth), then he changed his mind, as long as my clothesline is pretty (just the whites load, I guess )

So we did our taxes last night looking for some cash (refund) to help with this earlier settlement, which is leaving us scrambling!!! Turns out we OWE for the first time ever. DH's income went up drastically from 2007 to 2008 and now we don't qualify for the child tax credit, or for writing off PMI. Now, I am not trying to complain about making "too much" money, but the surprise of owing instead of getting back definitely put a little knot in my stomach.

We'll still make it, by the skin of our teeth! Let's hope we don't have any more surprises!

As I learned from the Amish, you hang your sheets on the outer lines and then put your skivies and clothes on the inner line then it is not unsightly or immodest. Don't even get me started on finances. I am sooooo mad I can't get a refi. Bankers are getting handouts even when they don't ask for them and I can't find a single bank that will do a refi in this "soft market". My income, FICO, savings, etc. are all excellent so there is no reason for this other than their fear of additional drops in loan-to-value. UGH!
#77 of 81 Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As I learned from the Amish, you hang your sheets on the outer lines and then put your skivies and clothes on the inner line then it is not unsightly or immodest. Don't even get me started on finances. I am sooooo mad I can't get a refi. Bankers are getting handouts even when they don't ask for them and I can't find a single bank that will do a refi in this "soft market". My income, FICO, savings, etc. are all excellent so there is no reason for this other than their fear of additional drops in loan-to-value. UGH!
Yeah, yet they're (credit union, but really any lender) giving us a NEW loan with 95% loan to value. If we already owned that house and wanted a 95% LTV refi we'd be out of luck! I guess they want to keep the housing market moving so they'll take bigger risks on new purchases.
#78 of 81 Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I have a closed composter wheel that you spin. No animals can get inside it and its small enough I doubt any of my neighbors even know what it is. Do you have rain barrels? I am looking into that next!
We got one of the free composters form the county. It has a lid and is secured, so I don't anticipate any problems, and I put food in it after my worms get the choice scraps (we vermicompost too). I love the drums that turn though - it might be a future purchase. We are looking into rain barrels next. I'm getting Chuck into "greening" our house

We will also look into refinancing - hopefully we'll be approved
#79 of 81 Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

We had our inspection today and it went very well. Few very minor issues we'll do on our own after we settle (few hundred bucks, and Chris can do them). It was really cool to be in the house for 4 hours! While the inspector and Chris were outside for the first 45 minutes, Quinn and I just hung out inside getting a feel for living there and I am so excited!!!

I know you both (L & K) moved from smaller attached/multi family housing into your current SFHs, so you know what I am feeling. :
#80 of 81 Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
We had our inspection today and it went very well. Few very minor issues we'll do on our own after we settle (few hundred bucks, and Chris can do them). It was really cool to be in the house for 4 hours! While the inspector and Chris were outside for the first 45 minutes, Quinn and I just hung out inside getting a feel for living there and I am so excited!!!

I know you both (L & K) moved from smaller attached/multi family housing into your current SFHs, so you know what I am feeling. :
Yup! My favorite thing to do that first fall was to sit out on my screened in porch and survey the estate! Actually its still my favorite fine weather thing to do. Winter cold like now its sitting near the wood stove nursing my baby or playing on the computer or both at the same time like now!
#81 of 81 Old 02-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Yep! I love looking at my yard, even now when the melting ice has given me two inches of mud for a yard: Oh, and two dogs to track it into the house

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page