Talk to me about Bethesda, MD - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have already tested the waters for the HBAC. DH looked a little apprehensive. It will definitely be something we are going to look into. I plan on finding a midwife as soon as I get out there to build a relationship with (doing paps and what not). DH knows how badly I want a VBAC. I truly felt that the c-section caused me a lot more medical trama than necessary.

I am digging though rental and for sale listings in Silver Springs, Takoma Park, and starting to look in Wheaton. I am not exactly looking for wide open spaces (which to means a couple of acres), but more of enough room to have my son run off energy as well as be able to grow a garden to save some money. I'll have to find someone to help me can, but that is a different issue

I do have a question because someone told me it was humid there. One thing that concerns me is heating/AC costs. When I was in Atlanta, there was times my bill would be $300 a month. And knowing it can get cold, I know you would need to run the heat (I have hypothyroidism and so "cold" to me anything below 70F - and at that point, I am usually wearing a sweater).

Not to get personal, but to help me with our "how to live off one income" budget, could you guys give me an idea of what your monthly bills look like? In CA, our utility bills went WAY down due to the low humidity and hardly ever geting too cold (<40F) or too hot (>85F). I thought the utility companies were ridiculas in Atlanta, so I am hoping that is not the same issue there.

My hubby talked to the sr. vp again and he told my husband that not taking this would not be a career breaker, but that he is not sure of the level and he would make sure everything was "equitable". Whatever that means! So I am going to create a budget off of his current salary to see where that takes us.

Thanks

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post
Ah! That helps so much!

I am more of a Mountain View sorta Campbell kinda girl My DREAM would be to live in Berkeley or Santa Cruz. I don't think there is an equivalent for that out there, but who knows?

I need to visit!
yeah...berkely & SC are AWESOME!!! the closest thing to either of them out here is definitely takoma park, by faaaaaar. if you like them, you'd like TP.

as for humidity? yes, it is oppressively humid here in the summer. even if it's only in the 80's (though it often goes much higher), you'll be dripping with sweat the minute you step outside some days. seriously...walking from a doorstep to a car parked on the street can mean needing to change your shirt. not every single day, but enough of them. IDK about a $300 A/C bill though. mine is almost never more than $50 and often less than that...and i keep my A/C on allllllll summer. now, the heat bill? that's frequently $300+ in the winter, but i refuse to be cold. also, i have central, gas heat, so it's not like i can turn it on/off on a room-by-room basis. dryer, fire place and stove are all gas too, so that adds to it. i'm sure it'll depend on the type of HVAC system(s) you'll have. after 1 year at the same residence, you can get on a utility budget plan through your provider and that'll make your bill the same every month (they take your usage from the previous year and average the payments over 12 months for the following year. it's adjusted annually, i think.)

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I am used to awful humidity. I grew up in Mobile, AL. I asked my grandfather one time why humidity numbers were from 90-100 (and why they just did not use 1-10 for humidity!). So, I totally get that part, which is why I am so concerned about heating and A/C costs.

Hum, I'll try plugging in $300 for 6 months of the year and about $100 for the rest. I need to figure out how much he needs to make to make this even decently worth it.

I would be all over the utility budget plan!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM

If I do my math right, a $1500 a month mortgage (PITI) payment would be on a loan of about $225 (we are in a condo in Ellicott City now and our loan is 209 and we pay just short of 1500).

This makes me a bit concerned about the recs you are getting for SS and Takoma Park. I don't think you'll find any kind of decent single family home in a safe neighborhood for this price. I think a townhouse would be hard to find at that price.

Of course, if you DO want to spend 225, we are listing our newly renovated 2 BR/2 Ba condo this week for 229k. Might be a bit of a commute for your DH though (hour or so )

On the other hand, 100k a year should get you a little more house than 225 (obviously this depends on how much of your paycheck you are willing to spend). But even conservative ratios would get you into the low to mid 300s. Something to think about at least.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
If I do my math right, a $1500 a month mortgage (PITI) payment would be on a loan of about $225 (we are in a condo in Ellicott City now and our loan is 209 and we pay just short of 1500).

This makes me a bit concerned about the recs you are getting for SS and Takoma Park. I don't think you'll find any kind of decent single family home in a safe neighborhood for this price. I think a townhouse would be hard to find at that price.

Of course, if you DO want to spend 225, we are listing our newly renovated 2 BR/2 Ba condo this week for 229k. Might be a bit of a commute for your DH though (hour or so )

On the other hand, 100k a year should get you a little more house than 225 (obviously this depends on how much of your paycheck you are willing to spend). But even conservative ratios would get you into the low to mid 300s. Something to think about at least.
:

DC has a unique situation in that you can usually rent a house cheaper than you can buy it, in terms of monthly payments. Unless you are in a position to have a HUGE (like 50% down payment). You won't find a house to buy in this area that's not the equivalent of a crack house for 225K. You'd have to move pretty far away from Bethesda (at least an hour without traffic) to find those prices.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 PM

I haven't read every post, but I agree a lot with MsElle07 (hi!!! How's your little one doing? Two already, hard to believe!!) OK, back to our regularly scheduled post...lol

I live in Derwood, which is between Rockville and Gaithersburg and LOVE this location. We are a hop, skip, and a jump away from 370 (that leads to 270, that leads to everything) and also semi-walking distance to the metro. My DH takes the metro to DC and either rides his bike, drives his scooter, takes the bus (bus stop right outside our door), or walks to the metro everyday. Our rent is $2200 for a single-family home with 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths, 2 living areas, deck and screened porch, 2-car garage, and nice-sized back yard (just to give you an idea of what $2200 can get you). When we were searching for a place to live there was no shortage of nice homes in this price range (2 years ago) and even more probably available now b/c of the buyers' market. The house next door to us is renting for the same amount and I think it's bigger. I would HIGHLY recommend our area (and I'm not biased...I don't really care for the DC metro area in general, but if you have to live here, this is a great neighborhood).

We used to live in Silver Spring and absolutely hated it. Traffic was a nightmare--which is the case most everywhere here...I'd pay more money for rent to be out of that mess!! We paid $1500/month for our much-smaller, no garage, older house there. I agree, though, Silver Spring is huge...ie: we lived next to the Glenmont metro station. Not the best neighborhood! I wouldn't have walked down our street alone at night.

As far as total cost of living, my DH makes a little more than your DH does currently, but we've been living off his single income since we moved here and he was making much less. You shouldn't have trouble living off $95K.

There are TONS of moms groups, playdates, county-sponsored classes and activities, etc. around here. We have an AP group you can join; we have playdates every Friday and a discussion topic the first Friday of each month. If you look on yahoo groups you'll find a constant stream of new moms groups starting up, all with different niches/interests. Lots of volunteer opportunities, too. PM me when you get here and I can give you all the info for the groups I belong to.

I agree with the others that you probably don't want to live too far from your DH's job unless you live very close to the metro--and even then I'd highly suggest living on the Western end of the red line--b/c of the commute. The metro is not as reliable as it could be.

HTH! Welcome to the area! BTW, my DD is just a little older than your DS. We need a few more boys around here...seems we're all having girls only! lol (I think there's something in the water!)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Oh, I just saw what MsElle07 said about housing prices, and she's soooo right! You won't find a decent house in a decent neighborhood, even in this buyers' market, for less than $350k.(this close to DC, I mean!) The DUMP across the street from me (VERY different from our house, and no garage!) is on the market for $420K. Needs some major work on it--it's a foreclosure home.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I guess those real estate websites do some wonderful voodoo on their listings But, with not being able to see if it is in the ghetto, it just makes it hard to know what I am looking at.

I think the best idea is to get there and talk with both a real estate agent and do the rental shopping thing. And then make a decision.

We may move in 2-3 years anyway. But after renting for 5 years, it would be so nice to live in my own place and have some fun with the wall colors! Can I just say that I am soooooo tired of white?

I will definitely pm when we get out there. We may go out for an interview, so I may have a whole day to "play" in the area and see what is out there

Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Good luck to you!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM

hi I live in Gaithersburg. My husbad works in Bethesda. I suggest livign away from 495... the traffic is 10X worse for a commute then it is for 270. My husband has to be to work at 7am and I think it takes around 30min in the morning for him to get there when he leaves here. Rockville is very nice. Rockville town center is awesome both day and night. I know someone else mentioned the nice shopping in the area. Montgomery county schools are really good as a whole. Lots to do in DC, many things for free and you can take the metro there so you dont have to deal with parking.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 PM

I haven't read all of the posts, but here is some more to think about...

I live in Silver Spring, inside the beltway and I often work in Bethesda (about a 30 minute drive even with traffic). We rent a 5 bedroom, 2 full bath home in a good neighborhood for $1800. Listings in Silver Spring are dropping like stones. We just put an offer in on a nicer house in a nicer neighborhood for $310k - about 100k less than it was listed for last year. We thought we wouldn't be able to find anything for less than $350K, but most of what we are looking at is now under $315K. Bethesda, however, is a totally different story! Very pricey, but super cute and very convenient. Takoma Park is a really cute, sort of crunchy-granola suburb right outside of DC that has GREAT rental rates compared to the rest of the area (I had a 2br apt for $600). Houses are rented at nice low-ish rates, too. Buying there is pricey, though, since many houses are historic and have been renovated.

i LOVE this area! I hope you find that you enjoy it as well! There is so much going on, and so much that is free. Good luck!

User Tag List