Midwife Information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-16-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I am looking to get more info on midwives in the northern va area.
I have heard some not so great things about Karen Carr, but have also heard some good things. Can anyone share thier information? And recommened any midwives in this area....Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 AM

I had two amazing births with Karen. Feel free to pm me if you want to hear about them.
#3 of 22 Old 04-18-2009, 02:45 AM

I have heard very good things about her from two midwives whom I highly respect. I would suggest talking w/ Karen personally. I have also heard that she is very skilled/experienced w/ breech births.

- Kim
#4 of 22 Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
I have heard very good things about her from two midwives whom I highly respect. I would suggest talking w/ Karen personally. I have also heard that she is very skilled/experienced w/ breech births.
Do you have your birth story with the L-shaped incision vbac linked anywhere? I would love to read that!
#5 of 22 Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Karen took me on as a client at 38 weeks when Evelyn decided that she wasn't able to attend me at home due to low iron and her assistant saying that we didn't have all of our supplies ready (they were all here except the crockpot). Evelyn called me on a Saturday night when I was 38 weeks along to tell me that she wanted me to go to the hospital if I went into labor. If it wasn't for Karen, baby #4 would have been an unassisted homebirth (not really my thing).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM

I had a beautiful homebirth with K. My baby was breech, and I am extremely thankful that she was my midwife. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#7 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Hi!

Request a list of midwives from www.MANA.org or a local Brio Birth (www.BrioBirth.com) educator. 

#8 of 22 Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Karen took me on as a client at 38 weeks when Evelyn decided that she wasn't able to attend me at home due to low iron and her assistant saying that we didn't have all of our supplies ready (they were all here except the crockpot). Evelyn called me on a Saturday night when I was 38 weeks along to tell me that she wanted me to go to the hospital if I went into labor. If it wasn't for Karen, baby #4 would have been an unassisted homebirth (not really my thing).
I think you are doing yourself a disservice when you say she dropped you for low iron. I mean, it was like .6 low or something, right? And that is totally normal for YOU with 4 babies. I just think you kinda let her off the hook when you allude to the possibility of a medical reason.

hh2.gif

#9 of 22 Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM

My second was delivered by KC. Very challenging shoulder dystocia! She was absolutely the best person to have in that situation! She remained calm and collected, and handled a difficult situation perfectly! I highly recommend her.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#10 of 22 Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM

(Is her name supposed to be publicly accessible?)
#11 of 22 Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm kinda almost suspicious of the OP. She doesn't really care either way about her name. Her clients are more protective of her.

hh2.gif

#12 of 22 Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM

KC doesn't mind her name being out there these days. It's a legality thing that she is just accepted and lives with openly. We hope one day CPMs will hold a license similar to many other states but not like VAs which is terrible.

#13 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 AM

Yep! Mine was a 10 1/2 pounder! She is definitely awesome!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#14 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I'm kinda almost suspicious of the OP. She doesn't really care either way about her name. Her clients are more protective of her.
I got a tip of one baltimore based home visiting healthcare worker (one of those who visit after registering a homebirth without a midwife's name) who is sniffing around trying to find out who has been delivering...
#15 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

But they (the people at the health dept.) already know who she is, so that doesn't make any sense. Those of use using unregulated (NON CNM's) should always say the birth was unattended, rather than NOT give a name.

hh2.gif

#16 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
My second was delivered by KC. Very challenging shoulder dystocia! She was absolutely the best person to have in that situation! She remained calm and collected, and handled a difficult situation perfectly! I highly recommend her.
I have been with her for SD as well (as an assistant - also with footling breech) and she is just cool as a cucumber even in very challenging births. There is no perfect midwife who will suit every woman, but I appreciate a midwife who doesn't dump or risk out women with challenging situations who still desire homebirth.
#17 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
But they (the people at the health dept.) already know who she is, so that doesn't make any sense. Those of use using unregulated (NON CNM's) should always say the birth was unattended, rather than NOT give a name.
I disagree, I made it a point to say that I was not naming my midwife, even though she was very skilled because though the laws are wrong, I will not lie. My birth was attended by an AMAZING midwife and I wish I could shout her name to the rooftops, but I don't to protect her. That said, Baltimore City health department is aware of her and has left her alone in the past, but that doesn't prevent a new HD nurse from taking a different stance. St. Mary's County HD totally cooperates with her and knows about her, but other MD counties like Howard and Prince George's have been openly hostile and tried to find out about her. I err on the side of caution and tell folks to just decline to name her. I have never had anyone be unable to get a birth certificate yet.
#18 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM

I see your point too Lorrie.

hh2.gif

#19 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=TrustingOurBodies;13629910]Trisha, that is so true. KC doesn't mind her name being out there these days. It's a legality thing that she is just accepted and lives with openly.

This is only partially true. Yes, she does accept that if she gets into trouble with the law someday, it is meant to be. (and has successfully fought and won a case in PA a couple years back) She does not like to be named or want her personal information on open internet sites and has had me go online and try to get her information removed from websites on more than one occasion. We had a conversation about this just a couple months ago. I at least try to provide a counterpoint of view when someone is maligning her with false information if I can't get it taken down. Nor does she tell her clients to put her name on the birth certificate forms when the HD home visit takes place. So she is open, but careful...

Now in DC she goes to the office with mothers and puts her name on the birth certificate cause DC govt is so incompetent they don't know they aren't following their own laws about DEMs.
#20 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 PM

If you need a hospital birth center w/ midwives then talk to Loudon Community Midwives. I thought they were great.

http://www.lcmidwives.com/

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#21 of 22 Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Now in DC she goes to the office with mothers and puts her name on the birth certificate cause DC govt is so incompetent they don't know they aren't following their own laws about DEMs.
Ha ha! She did so with me, and I've got the two birth certs to prove it! Wondered how that worked.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#22 of 22 Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe not all, and they might be looking for legal proof rather than suspicions...the whole legallity thing scares me to bits after reading way too many stories of midwives being prosecuted because the body of a certain profession feels threatened by them and pressures politicians into making them illegal...I'd rather the midwives fly under the radar and be able to serve us women without being afraid they'll get prosecuted for their name being out there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page