Free Birthing Classes? (Or yoga classes, biligual classes...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any FREE birthing classes in the area. Any info on low cost or Free birthing classes, yoga classes, prenatal fitness classes would be awesome. I live in Silver Spring, but I can go to another area for classes. Also any biligual (ENG/SPAN) prenatal classes would be helpful. Thanks for any info!!!

(Any good books about birthing are also good to know about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Hello!

I am hoping others will have ideas for you! I think it is unfortunate that so much childbirth education and prenatal exercise is so expensive.

One option might be contacting childbirth instructors in the area, explaining your situation, and asking if they have any scholarships available or are ever willing to reduce their fees. My childbirth teacher back in Chicago occasionally offered her class for free or for a reduced fee is moms couldn't afford it. Even if certain teachers don't discount their class, they might know of others who do. Here's a list of some of the local classes.
http://www.birthoptionsalliance.org/...2009-03-19.pdf

If you're not able to take a class, there are definitely some good books that can give you a lot of the same information you'd get in a childbirth education class. I'd recommend "The Birth Partner", also by Penny Simkin, or "The Big Book of Birth" by Erica Lyon. Most of these you can get pretty cheaply on Amazon. As for exercise, there is a book called "Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year" that i think is pretty good, or a decent prenatal workout video might be an affordable option, though I know these aren't the same dynamic as a class.

Another option might be to find a doula willing to work with you as a volunteer. Many newer doulas or doulas still in the certification process are willing to work for free to get further experience. A doula's role is providing emotional support, physical support, and information during pregnancy, labor, and birth. So they aren't necessarily certified as childbirth educators (though some are) but can still give a lot of information about birth during pregnancy, discuss your hopes and fears for the birth, help connect you with local resources, etc. If this is something you'd be interested in, let me know. I could post your request on the local doula list that I am on.

Good luck!!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi,

I got an email through Birth Options Alliance this morning with free baby and parent yoga classes in Georgetown. How wonderful of this instructor! and maybe she'd be able to work a deal for prenatal classes as well. I know some yoga studios will trade free classes for cleaning the studio. I've also heard of teachers trading services, like I'll cut your hair for free if you teach me yoga for free (or whatever you might be able to offer), so that's something you could ask about.

Here's a copy of the email for you -the instructor's contact info is at the bottom.

~~~~~~~
Hi everyone,
I am teaching a series of complimentary yoga classes in Georgetown this Spring and Summer...

Saturday May 16 11:30am - 12:30pm Parent and Child
Sunday June 7 12:00 - 1:00pm Family Yoga
Saturday June 27 11:30am - 12:30pm Parent and Child
Saturday July 11 4 - 5pm Family Yoga
Saturday July 25 4 - 5pm Parent and Child

All classes are held at: lululemon athletica - Georgetown, 3265 M St NW Washington, DC 20007

****Also, please contact me if you are interested in volunteering with the DC Chapter of the Holistic Moms Network ! Meetings will start in the fall!

Pleasance Lowengard Silicki
lil omm yoga
lilomm.com
[email protected]
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM

I was just about to post about Pleasances classes. I did prenatal yoga teacher training with her and she is so nice. I would also post this question to the Birth Options Alliance page as there may be someone in the middle/end of their training to become a CBE. They would be offering low cost or free classes because they need the contact hours for certification.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

thank you soooo much!!! I greatly appreciate ALL the input.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

That woman does offer free prenatal yoga!!! Same place on WEDS at 730 :-D
Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Definitely consider looking for a good childbirth class that prepares you well and is of a good length too. You can check out www.BrioBirth.com for Brio Birth educators there.

User Tag List