Bounce Around in Glen Burnie says "No Nursing" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week, a friend was told not to nurse at the Bounce Around in Glen Burnie off Aviation Blvd. So, if you have a child who likes to bounce and want to show support for nursing mommas, come on out this Thursday from 5-7pm to play.
We'll be the ones breastfeeding our babies!
~Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Hey Suzy.. any more info? did they ask her to leave? use the bathroom?

hh2.gif

#3 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

They told her she could not breastfeed because there had been complaints in the past. She specifically asked if she could and they said no.
Turns out her baby never wanted to nurse. Go figure!
I'm not shooting for a big event here. My friends and I are having a play date and we have nursing babies. Now, if the employees say anything, then look out!

#4 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Wish I lived closer...I would SO be there! You go girls! Hope you get a lot of nursing moms participating.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#5 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM

So she went in and said, can I nurse my baby?

The only thing with maryland law is, even though it says

Quote:
Maryland Code
HEALTH - GENERAL
TITLE 20. MISCELLANEOUS HEALTH PROVISIONS
SUBTITLE 8. BREAST-FEEDING

§ 20-801. Breast-feeding of children.

(a) A mother may breast-feed her child in any public or private location in which the mother and child are authorized to be.

(b) A person may not restrict or limit the right of a mother to breast-feed her child.
Although, "Breastfeeding" is not a protected class like "Jewish," so they can still ask you to leave or you are trespassing. There is no enforcement provision to this law. They have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason that doesn't violate civil rights. So, they can say, "I need you to leave," and not give a reason and be well within their rights.

[2003, ch. 369.]

hh2.gif

#6 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I understand the law and the limitations. That doesn't stop us from making them very uncomfortable. Think they really want to ask 15 moms to leave? I doubt they would want the publicity that comes with that.
I'm sure it's mostly a matter of education. Most people are ignorant about breastfeeding. However, a place that caters to moms and young children needs to truly "cater" to them, not insult them.

#7 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 PM

So she went in and said, "can I nurse my baby?"

I'll be there if I can. Looks like fun anyway.

hh2.gif

#8 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

No, they were saying no food in the bounce area and she asked if nursing was ok. They said no because there had been complaints.

#9 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Is there somewhere outside the bounce area where you can eat/nurse?

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#10 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM

1) Even if there is an area where food is permitted that doesn't help. Babies need to often be fed on demand. It isn't possible for mothers of many to just jump up and run to a food permitted area to feed their babies. You'd have to get all of your children off of the play equipment and bring them in the the food permitted area to nurse your child and hope that the other kids don't melt down during the process.

2) It's important not to focus on whether or not we as breastfeeding mothers are considered a protected class. Save that for a lawyer. This is something we must make sure is a protected class, if you will, by applying pressure to the owners of any business that excludes breastfeeding or limits it in any way.

Should we just throw the law away then? We have the law for a reason and we should stand up for our rights to breastfeed and educate the employees and owners of any business that attemps to make our lives more difficult because we are breastfeeding.

Let me also point out that if we allow businesses to continue because we aren't a protected class then many women will stop breastfeeding babies and toddlers because they aren't considered to be doing something that is to be socially acceptable. All it takes for some women is to feel like they are doing something wrong, and they will quit.
#11 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Feel the need to pipe back in and say that I wasn't defending the business owners, just pointing out a few of our limitations.

hh2.gif

#12 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM

I didn't think you were but I guess someone could read that and assume you might be.

It's something we have to work at but it's worth the fight!
#13 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 AM

I have been in a situation like this. I was asked to stop, quoted the law and was then left alone. Another time, I was told to leave or stop and after quoting the law, a police officer told me if I was asked to leave, and didn't leave he'd have to arrest me.

hh2.gif

#14 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM

That's truly unfortunate. Police officers need education to. Everyone does. We have to keep the fight alive and definitely not bury our heads in the sand.
#15 of 29 Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM

I sent Bounce an email off of their website.

-Barbara
#16 of 29 Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I have been in a situation like this. I was asked to stop, quoted the law and was then left alone. Another time, I was told to leave or stop and after quoting the law, a police officer told me if I was asked to leave, and didn't leave he'd have to arrest me.
OMG is that legal in MD? If a private business owner asks us to leave we have to or risk getting arrested? That is complete bullsh*t!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#17 of 29 Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Yes, because in Maryland "breastfeeding mothers/children" aren't a protected class when it comes to civil rights. So I can be asked to leave and have no recourse ATM but to do so or be cited for trespassing. Most people don't understand the law enough to take it to this point. Usually when you quote the law and sound like you know what you are talking about people will back down.

I have always found it to be "borrowing trouble" to ask for permission to do something with my child, especially nursing.

hh2.gif

#18 of 29 Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM

I have been extremely lucky in breastfeeding in public. I have never had any rude comments or even been given bad looks (at least that I saw ::

On that note, there is a petition going around to make breastfeeding a civil right. Here is the link! I will make a new post of it.

http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/14...paign_KEY=2731

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#19 of 29 Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I have always found it to be "borrowing trouble" to ask for permission to do something with my child, especially nursing.

yup, yup!! don't ask, just do it and know your stuff and sound confident in it and they will back down. that's why I guess I've never had this problem.
#20 of 29 Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, our little event went well. There were 8 moms, 3 dads and 16 kids. Shortly after we arrived, one mother began breastfeeding her baby. The manager came out pretty quickly and told her she could not breastfeed in there. The discussion went back and forth many times and she said she was going to call the owner. Apparently she could not get him on the phone and so she eventually left us alone. We all got the contact info for the owner so we could write letters of complaint. Funny thing was, she would not give us the owner's last name. We all have to address our letters to "Tom".
I think it went well overall. We certainly got some attention!!

#21 of 29 Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM

I did some googling and there are quite a few really negative reports about this place on www.ripoffreport.com, specifically mentioning the owner "Officer Tom".

There is a profile on the Better Business Bureau here

I would encourage everyone to submit their complaints to the BBB as well.

The owner of the business is listed as Principal: Amy Shepeta, Owner. Later in the report, "Tom" is also listed as the owner.

Amy is also listed as the owner of Xtreme Bounce Zone in Millersville which I think closed unexpectedly, in an article snipped from the Maryland Gazette. I did not pay for the entire article, though, and more credible sites seem to list the owner of that establishment as Kim Elder.

Anyway, from all the complaints on the web, it sounds like the owners are not very nice people.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
#22 of 29 Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM

I just read the reviews on ripoff report. Wow! I hope they get shut down soon! And I'm glad no one got hurt at yesterday's event!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#23 of 29 Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM

I called there this morning and the woman on the phone was rude and hung up on me. I called back and tried to discuss the breastfeeding law with her and I have to say she was ignorant and unwilling to discuss it at all. ( also claimed not to be the owner which she clearly was if the story about what happened at the second incident is correct) Normally I would say publicity and a nurse in at this point, but given the violent tendencies of the owner according to those other reports on ripoffreport.com, I think we would all be safer staying away from them and just spreading the word on all our mama boards online!
#24 of 29 Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryztuh View Post

Amy is also listed as the owner of Xtreme Bounce Zone in Millersville, which I think closed unexpectedly.
Where did you find this info? I can't find any listing of the owners.

#25 of 29 Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
Where did you find this info? I can't find any listing of the owners.
I found an article about it in a local paper. They apparently absconded with some folks prepaid funds when they closed as well.
#26 of 29 Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

The one I read had a different name for the owner. That's why I was wondering. Do you know which paper it was?
Thanks!

#27 of 29 Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

So I know this thread is old, but I just came across it and want to tell everyone that in Maryland you have an absolute right to nurse in public. If challenged, please report the business to the Maryland Attoney General's office: consumer@oag.state.md.us
#28 of 29 Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM

In reference to the owner of the Extreme Bounce Zone in Millersville that closed, I saw Amy listed as the owner in a snippet from a google search of an article in the Maryland Gazette, http://www.hometownglenburnie.com. The article is now in the archives and you have to pay to get the entire article, which I did not do. I agree the owner's name is listed as someone else on every official site. I'm editing previous post.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
#29 of 29 Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
I found an article about it in a local paper. They apparently absconded with some folks prepaid funds when they closed as well.
Sounds like a place best avoided, regardless of their breastfeeding attitudes.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page