anyone else upset with our Farmer's Markets? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to get fed up...there is practically nothing at the farmer's markets these days! I've gone to Severna Park, Annapolis Riva Road, and Annapolis Mall one and there's barely anything there! Enough once in a while, but nothing consistent...

do we have any BETTER ones in our area? What about the Piney Orchard one?

Maybe it's because I'm used to weekly shopping in Italian open air markets, but honestly, I feel the US can do better than this! 5-10 vendors....that's it?! :
#2 of 23 Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM

It seems they are pretty small around my area too, much smaller than they used to be. My guess is probably all the rain is wrecking havoc on decent growing? Did you try one of the Farmfresh markets?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 23 Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM

The one in Towson is HUGE. If you time it right, you can go to story time at B&N too.

hh2.gif

#4 of 23 Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM

The downtown Baltimore farmer's market is great.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#5 of 23 Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
The one in Towson is HUGE. If you time it right, you can go to story time at B&N too.
Have you been there this year? So far, since it opened last week, I've been seriously disappointed. : I know a lot of it is due to the bad weather/rough spring. But, I also wonder how much is due to the economy. the one bread stand has had no where near the variety he had last year.

Debbi ~~ Proud mom to an amazing 8 year old DS who has Asperger's Syndrome, a beautiful, novel writing 15 yr old DD, and a handsome, artistic 17 yr old DS.
#6 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM

Yeah, the ones here in Columbia suck. Not one single organic producer and very few vendors. I miss being near Takoma Park and DC farmers markets. Soooooo much better.
#7 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 AM

There's a good one in Waverly on Saturdays.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 AM

I'm sorry you're not near Takoma Park. It's great, lots of fabulous stuff!
#9 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I find the earlier in the season they do not have much, wait a month and they will have tons. in your area GB is the most plentaful, SP is pretty good too. Piny Orchard has very little 1 or 2 venders.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#10 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Yeah, the ones here in Columbia suck. Not one single organic producer and very few vendors. I miss being near Takoma Park and DC farmers markets. Soooooo much better.
And how!

We often meet my parents at farmers markets in their neighborhood (Prince William County, VA) because there's almost nothing at our markets. Even the smallest in their area is amazing, even this year.

Commencing snark about the CA: HoCo and the CA are so focused on "preserving" the completely inadequate village centers that they drive us all out of the county for ethical/responsible food shopping. David's Market and Roots are great, but it's not enough, especially since their produce is sooo expensive.

My mom is able to buy (uncertified, I think) organic Maryland lamb, Maryland cheese, and all sorts of other lovely local stuff at her Whole Foods in NoVA.

Okay, mild rant over, back to work...

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#11 of 23 Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM

I have lots of sources of local organic food (non-market). I do really well for organic produce at Trader Joes's and My Organic Market on 175. Both have better prices than Roots or David's. I am getting a whole organic lamb butchered and delivered to a drop near by next week. I make regular trips out to Dickerson every 6 weeks to pick up organic pastured chicken too. If you want to go that way I can hook you up with some sources.

Oh, and the blueberry farm on Rt 108 in Ashton is picking now~!:
#12 of 23 Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM

i second the bb picking on 108. and the stuff about mom's. you would think that an area that can support 3 health food/organic markets PLUS a trader joe's would warrent more attention by other larger stores and more farmer's markets, but not yet. i have heard there is a Hallal butcher off of snowden. even if it isn't organic, it is cleaner and more humane than regular grocery stores. also, boarman's market on 108 has an actual butcher and they sell some organic meat and all their other meat is from amish farms- it is much tastier.
#13 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#14 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post
And how!

We often meet my parents at farmers markets in their neighborhood (Prince William County, VA) because there's almost nothing at our markets. Even the smallest in their area is amazing, even this year.
Which PWC Market do you like? I've been less than impressed with most that I've gone to, but I think my expectations are set too high after living in Berkeley, CA.
#15 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM

We went to the one in Glen Burnie yesterday morning. It's in the parking lot in front of Toys 'R Us. It was small but very good. There were 3 different farmers with sign saying they don't use artificial pesticides or chemicals. Good prices and everything looked really good. We got some patty pan squash and some nice cukes.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#16 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz View Post
Which PWC Market do you like? I've been less than impressed with most that I've gone to, but I think my expectations are set too high after living in Berkeley, CA.
We've only gone to the one in Gainsville, which seems HYOOGE compared to the HoCo ones- seriously, the Sunday morning market in Columbia has two vendors right now. Two. One with veggies, one with plant seedlings.

There's also a nice one in Leesburg, but that's not PWC, I guess.

I don't think any of the markets around here are going to compare with Berkeley.

#17 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
i second the bb picking on 108. and the stuff about mom's. you would think that an area that can support 3 health food/organic markets PLUS a trader joe's would warrent more attention by other larger stores and more farmer's markets, but not yet. i have heard there is a Hallal butcher off of snowden. even if it isn't organic, it is cleaner and more humane than regular grocery stores. also, boarman's market on 108 has an actual butcher and they sell some organic meat and all their other meat is from amish farms- it is much tastier.
I didn't grow up around here, but my hubby did, and he says it's the CA and the County government that has long blocked Whole Foods and the like, in the name of protecting the locally owned markets. That's why Trader Joes, MOMs, and the coming Wegmans are such a big deal.

There is a butcher in Oella that's been around forever, but I haven't ever checked it out.

#18 of 23 Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post

There is a butcher in Oella that's been around forever, but I haven't ever checked it out.
There is meat is very good, but I don't know how the cows are raised or anything http://www.jwtreuth.com

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#19 of 23 Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Sounds like you are in the Annapolis area. Check out A Cook's Cafe: 911 Commerce Rd. across from the Annapolis Mall off of Bestgate. 410.266.1511. You can join the CSA (community supported agriculture) program they have called the Market Basket. You'll get weekly bags filled with luscious, local produce grown on the Eastern Shore. Just started about 3 weeks ago, not too late to join. Extras are available for purchase weekly as well: meat, dairy, eggs, all grown at a farm in North Baltimore. Its the best thing around-- don't waste your time on AA county farmer's markets, this is the way to go!
#20 of 23 Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM

The downtown Annapolis one is a JOKE. Over priced bakers selling $18 loaves of bread. And one maybe 2 actual produce vendors of the maybe 6 vendors total in the space. Seriously disappointing.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#21 of 23 Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
We went to the one in Glen Burnie yesterday morning. It's in the parking lot in front of Toys 'R Us. It was small but very good. There were 3 different farmers with sign saying they don't use artificial pesticides or chemicals. Good prices and everything looked really good. We got some patty pan squash and some nice cukes.
oh, great! I will have to check them out! thanks
#22 of 23 Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 PM

I would love some info on the organic lamb and chickens in Dickersville (sp?). We are new to the area and finding it to be less green than we had hoped, particularly considering our proximity to the bay!

We bought an (not certified but for all intensive purposes) organic side of beef from deer creek beef in Harford Co. and it is really terrific. Grass fed, dry aged, very high quality and better quality of life for the steers as well. There are lots of decent farmers markets and good farm stands here as well, along with I think 6 CSAs (only one of which is organic, but at least it's a start).

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone knew of a pick your own black raspberry farm anywhere in the vicinity? 39 weeks and having major pgcy cravings and no way to fulfill them.....:
#23 of 23 Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Check these out....

http://farms.2havefun.com/maryland.shtml

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page