opinions on DC Birth Center - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone used the DC Birth Center? Did you like the midwives? The group prenatal appt format?

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 AM

I would do a search if you haven't already- there are lots of comments about the place. I have several friends who have gone there for prenatal care and birth and have had GREAT reviews. I have gone for well woman appointments and also had a fabulous experience. Some find the group appointments inconvenient, but overall people find it very valuable and have taken away a lot from it.
#3 of 4 Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I gave birth there in june 2010. My experience there has been great. The mandatory group meetings are inconvient since I was working. Sometimes the group meetings seem too unstrucutred. Also, individual medical check ups occur while the group meeting has already started. So, while your baby is getting checked out you are missing group. However, I still believe that having group is an awesome way for a first time mother to feel comfortable and informed about her pregnancy and birth journey.

I had a very successful water birth. I did the majority of my labor at home and arrived at the birth center at 7-8cm dialated.

I recommend the birth center.
#4 of 4 Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 PM

I had a wonderful birth there 3 weeks ago. The group meetings were a waste of time, but I was so supported at the birth (three midwives and a free doula). It was such a positive experience. I had major breastfeeding problems, and they sent people to my house every day to help me. Can't say they helped much (baby latched on on his 2 week birthday with the help of the director of the bc), but, again, I felt taken care of and supported. They pay attention to you individual concerns and everyone is very respectfull. I also love that their mission is an at risk population. The drive there sucks.

The pediatric nurses are subpar - get your own pediatrician.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page