Esposito vs. Kathy Sloane-Need help choosing between hospitals and Midwives in Maryland!!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I delivered at Mercy with a midwife and it is definately the hospital's policy not to allow a waterbirth if there is meconium in the fluid, even just a little bit. I didn't know that at the time and when the nurses wouldn't let me in the tub, my heart just about broke. They want you on continuous efm if there's mec.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper28 View Post
I was on the fence about not having pain medication, and Kathy told me that I probably should have it because I was clearly out of control.
Just curious, what does it mean to be "out of control"?

I haven't attended any births other than my DS', didn't even watch lots of videos, so I don't know what that looks like vs. a normal lady vocalizing & moving with ctrx.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Yeah, well, that's a question I don't have an answer to.....other than maybe a woman who needs a little personal support and help coping??

I could tell I was in a negative feedback type of cycle -- I'm sure there was more than one way out. I had a nice birth, I don't regret my choices.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM

So many responses...

About Mercy vs. HoCo - I'd take Mercy. I'd also recommend touring Special Beginnings birth center and interviewing their midwives for a birth at AAMC.

I think with any provider, if your labor is progressing well and they aren't in any hurry personally then you are fine to labor as you please with no time limits or pressure. The true test is what they do when that isn't the case.

Had a friend birth with Kathy at Mercy and they made her consent to AROM to check for meconium before letting her in the tub.  This isn't necessary.  Thankfully, SB doesn't have such a policy.

The only hospital you can give birth in a tub is Mercy. Others have tubs some small and some big but no births allowed. If you want a water birth, birth at Mercy, Special Beginnings birth center or home. But as you can now see, birthing at Mercy in water requires everything to go perfectly including one of the two tub rooms actually being available!

And, yes, Jasper, more support is what you needed. I'm so sorry you didn't have that. "out of control" can be defined as anything not silent potentially. Women do moan but you need someone to make it a healthy moan. Some women scream and that is their thing but are they progressing and handling it anyway. But drugs isn't the cure. It's an intervention that makes the birth attendant's experience easier. Not yours! However, if you are ill-prepared or for some other reason cannot focus and relax at all and are pressured to either do an epidural/narcotic to relax you to hopefully allow things to progress or cesarean, then some choose drugs. But honestly, with the right prep, a supportive birth team, that is not necessary. You are so right!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM

In my experience, Special Beginnings has also AROM'd to check for meconium and then required mom to be out of the tub.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Jessica,

Your student said the MW used "perineal massage" is that that action also referred to as "vagina wrenching" - taking 2 fingers from each hand, pulling outwards at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions, & sweeping down towards the anus?

if so - ick ick ick! I though that was found to only increase the risk of tears & make them worse? (from irritating & thus inflaming the tissues.) Plus, based on the description I read on the birth professionals forum, it sounds so violent, horrible, & even cruel. Logically, it also doesn't make much sense to me either... Sure, counter-pressre as baby is crowning, I can see making sense. But trying to wrench the vagina open by yanking it apart? Um, no. I don't get that.

So if it wasn't that 'wrenching' open, what was it? Sorry to derail the thread, just curious!
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipem View Post
In my experience, Special Beginnings has also AROM'd to check for meconium and then required mom to be out of the tub.
Not in my experience. I chose to get in the tub around 5cm, stayed in through transition, and chose to get out so I could push on the toilet. Two hours later, my waters broke.

While I was there another mom arrived, labored, and delivered in the tub. Her waters broke while she was pushing in the tub. She didn't get out until after the baby was born. I know because she LOUDLY NARRATED the whole thing.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Perineal massage can be a good thing.

About SB and birth tubs and meconium...if the meconium is light and you can birth at the birth center they do not care if you labor or birth in the water.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

I don't like perenial massage either Megan. There are differing views though. As an SA survivor, I don't want people touching me at all.

hh2.gif

Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Good point. Most women who have had any history of SA doesn't want perineal massage, cervical exams (or the least amount truly necessary), any kind of contact inside for any reason. I've had a few clients with this situation and some of my students too. They have had such a deep and scarring history that it does make a HUGE difference in their ability to "let go" and have their baby. It feels like the SA all over again!

It isn't necessary for all women but can be very useful in some to help avoid a worse tear. Hot compresses can do wonders and even better - laboring/birthing in WATER!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM

From what I've read:
perineal massage PRIOR to labor (self-administered) is beneficial, but during labor it is not, and they're stopping the recommendation of it. Instead compresses as counterpressure on the perineum seem to do better at preventing tears.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeskaMW2B View Post
Megan, perineal massage is a good thing.
By "perineal massage" - are you referring to that "wrenching" thing I described? (Forcefully YANKING the vagina apart width-wise, then stretching down.)

I've also read a description somewhere of a more gentle 'rubbing' type of perineal massage, concentrated down towards the anus (no yanking apart witdh-wise.) Is that what you mean?

I read on that same thread on the birth pros forum that someone saw an OB "bust a mama's perinium wide open." She wrote it was horrible & even the OB seemed surprised & horrified.

I'm not an SA survivor, but the 'wrenching' thing sounds awful to me. As I wrote, it sounds downright violent & I certainly would think it would not only inhibit, but anger me.

I didn't read up on it too extensively, but I think I remember reading that the jury is sorta still out on it - some studies show benefit some don't. But the pre-labor massage in late pregnancy, many women find to be uncomfortable & possibly painful. So I thought 'to heck with it.'
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Jessica,

Your student said the MW used "perineal massage" is that that action also referred to as "vagina wrenching" - taking 2 fingers from each hand, pulling outwards at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions, & sweeping down towards the anus?
I had this done and told the MW to stop it. If felt awful and was NOT what I needed to be feeling at that moment. She continued with hot compresses (I think) and I did not tear at all.

<>< Alison
Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 PM

I have no idea what this "wrenching" perineal massage is. I've yet to see a midwife do any type of stretching that hurt the mother. They mostly use hot compresses, and in a long pushing stage may use some perineal massage but nothing that looks to be (or is reported to be by the client) painful or harmful as they are just using oil sometimes and sometimes lube to make the skin stretchy as the head is coming in preparation for birth to avoid a tear.

I'd say, ask a midwife you work with for more info and definitely talk to your providers to make sure they don't do something you don't want them to.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I had my beautiful son on October 20th. Kathy Slone attended me at Mercy hospital. I cannot say enough good things about Kathy's care. She was nothing short of exceptional. I would highy recommend her to anyone. She is so knowleadgeable and was totally in control while in the hospital. It was obvious that the Mercy staff had a solid respect for her. My birth went off without a hitch. The staff at Mercy was awesome as well as my doula (Bobbie Humphrey). I wouldn't change a thing about the birth. It was 100% natural and my birth plan was followed. I'm soo happy I chose to use the support team that I had. When I have another baby I will be using all of the same people. I was only in the hospital about 2 and a half hours before he was born. He was out in 3 pushes and the pushing part only took a total of 4 minutes. The whole thing was awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!

-Barbara Stratton
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Congratulations - I followed this thread over the summer and am so happy to see how pleased you are with your decision!

Enjoy your babymoon, and when you are ready to get out of the house, think about joining our new mom's group at Mercy, Mondays 10:00am.

Emily

User Tag List