Vaginal Breech Delivery by OB - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
Obviously not around Baltimore but there's Dr. Tchabo who catches breeches at Virginia Hospital Center.

There's also the option of just refusing a c/s. If I had a breech baby that I *had* to have in the hospital, I'd show up at Virginia Hospital Center during labor and just flat out refuse the c/s. Not fun to have to fight while in labor but legally, they can't force the c/s (I had to do this w/ my VBA2C).
The problem is that's not safe if no one on staff is trained to deliver breech, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyb24 View Post
My husband is an acupuncturists and he said she should get acupuncture 1-2 times a day until the baby turns. He says acupuncture is 80% effective if the breech is not the result of a physiological issue like contracted pelvis or uterine deformity. Let me know if you would like more info......
Sending positive thoughts and good vibes!

Good Luck!
She finished. The acupuncturist told her success rates aren't so great this late in pregnancy. (I think she's overdue already.)

She didn't reply to my email asking her if she wants specific recommendations, and I'm afraid to ask her if she is sick of dealing with it or just didn't get the email

I gave her Your Best Birth last night for her to read what is involved in a C-section, more ideas about delivering/turning breech, etc...but I don't want to become a nuisance at this point.

Barbara has been so very helpful (THANK YOU!) -- i'm just not sure where this mother will end up going and what she'll end up doing.
I can imagine her waiting till she is almost complete and then going to Mercy and hoping Atlas will be there to catch her baby since he does have experience, even if he doesn't like doing it in first time mothers...or MD General...I don't know.
Or maybe the baby will turn before or during labor That would be the best situation!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

C-section last night. Everyone doing fine.
Dr. Atlas told them he won't be there Saturday or Sunday if she goes into labor so she would need a C anyway since no doctor would deliver breech and she wouldn't have a doctor she knew. Monday OR was full, and Tuesday he decided was way too late (she was overdue.)
So they decided to go ahead with it. Baby was still pretty high, so probably wouldn't have made her way down.
Not sure that it was necessary, but what's done is done, she's recovering nicely, getting all the help she needs, husband is staying with her all weekend to help.
(The upside is I think she wants to come back here whenever she has another baby, because where she actually lives has a terrible VBAC situation going on...in NJ. )
Sigh.

Thank you all, especially Barbara, for all the effort and time you made giving suggestions -- it was not for naught. All this information is very handy.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear everything went well: I had to have a c-section with my DD b/c she was breech and my mentality was, in the end its doesn't matter how she arrives as long as she comes out healthy! Glad to hear the LO is here and everyone is doing good!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Dr. Tchabo at Virginia Hospital Center

An excellent person she should do a phone interview with at a minimum is an area CPM who catches breeches at home. She can't truly know how comfortable she feels with this unless she explores it.

Babies can turn in late pregnancy and also turn in labor. Her best bet is to wait for spontaneous labor and allow her baby the chance to turn and do things on this game plan (long list of things) to turn baby and if baby settles head down they YAY and if not she needs to be with a provider who trusts her body and has the full capability and experience of catching breech babies on a regular basis and not every once in a blue moon.

Chiro - www.WellnessChiropractors.com - they have helped turn babies back vertex. They are married chiros, birthed babies at home and certified in Webster technique!

I hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 PM

I'm in the same boat!  

I'm a Special Beginnings patient, with a stubborn breech (moves between frank and transverse) at 38 weeks now. External version failed, as did moxibustion and numerous chiropractic visits w/ the Webster technique and numerous poses from Spinning Babies. Downloaded and listened to the "Turn, baby, turn" hypnosis from Hypnobabies, too.  Basically, we've tried absolutely everything. 

I've just concluded, basically, that this wee one doesn't want to turn, for whatever reason. No problem with amniotic fluid or anything else. 

I'm depressed that we have to have a planned C-section; this is our first, and even though my other half is a paramedic, we are not brave enough to attempt a home vaginal breech birth. We're hoping against hope that s/he'll turn in the next 9 days, but I'm not optimistic. Our C-section is scheduled with Annapolis OB-GYN's Ben Solomon at AAMC on December 5th. Sigh. 

I do wonder if there are real, measurable benefits to a planned C-section as opposed to waiting for labor to begin and seeing if s/he's turned by then... but of course, the doctors and midwives don't want me to do that. Sigh.  

Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM

My external version didn't work, either, and I have no amniotic fluid problem. The doc from Annapolis-OB GYN said, simply, that he just wasn't able to move the baby more than 30 degrees in either direction. I don't specifically know why; we didn't think to ask what could be limiting that movement until later.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM

The person you really, REALLY need to see is Dr. Carol Phillips in Annapolis. She is a chiro with 25+ yrs prenatal experience, and her specialty is baby positioning. She is the one whose seminars are the basis for the spinningbabies website. I found her @37 wks with a transverse/diagonal baby 3 yrs ago. Two visits and I had my easiest delivery after 2 very difficult ones. As well she's been a doula at over 700 births and is a huge natural birthing advocate.

She is also able to listen to the cord with a stethescope and she can tell if the position is b/c of a cord issue. Sometimes the baby is tangled and can't move, and you do end up needing a c-section. Her website is dynamicbodybalancing.com . She stays booked for months, but she will work a pregnant momma in within a day or two. And she will take whatever a pregnant mamma can pay---her way of tithing to the universe, she says :) Her cell phone # is on the appointment page. Please call her!

I will tell you that if the baby is breech and she can't get it to move, she will tell you she recommends a c-section. Even though breech is a "natural" birth, it is very, very hard on babies physically. The cranial and structural problems she sees in breech-delivered babies are immense, and take a very long time to normalize.

Best wishes!

User Tag List