Low cost or free breast pump? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I am going to have to go back to work shortly after giving birth and will need to pump. I have heard that there are some places that actually give pumps for free or extremely low cost in md. Does anyone know where to get one? Any to look out for that are wonderful/horrible? I would need an electric one.
#2 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM

The WIC around here gives the Bailey III which is ok but can be a real pain since you have to use your finger to create suction.

How much is your budget?
The Evenflo double that just got released in Feb is much better than it used to be, and it might work. You can get a Lansinoh which is Ameda and a strong motor for $125-$150. Factor in the cost of formula instead, and it's really a bargain!
#3 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 PM

I've had great success buying used Medela Pump-in-Style's off Craigslist. I've bought three ranging from $50 to $150.
#4 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM

The bailey nurture III is not bad considering its free if you're a WIC BFing mother. I have not used them on myself but have helped other women with them and I feel like it gives you more control over some others. You can truly stimulate letdown with a pretty good baby like flutter if you roll and tap your finger right. If you're in PG county and a WIC mother call 301-856-9600 option5.
#5 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 AM

Although it is technically not a multiple-user pump, getting a used PIS is likely your best bet- lots of people give them away or sell them for very cheap, and it's a good pump. Join your local parenting/neighborhood listserv and there are usually some being sold used.
#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM

I do have to mention that with the PIS there is chance of bacteria going back into the pump (unlike the PY/Lansinoh), and even with new horns, etc, it's a risk you need to feel comfortable with.
One other mention is that used pumps sometimes have lower motor quality, and it might be worth it to get it checked out (I know GBMC's lactation people can check suction) to make sure you're really getting a good suction for baby.
#7 of 8 Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 AM

I would agree about the PIS not being a multiple user pump. I've heard some good things about the Hygeias...I think they are multiple user. Though I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with finding a used one since they are a newer company I believe.
#8 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM

if you haven't already, check with your insurance company to see if they will pay a percentage of the cost.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page