VBAC after twins Bowie, MD, looking for Midwife, even home birth, currently with SB, that insurance will cover - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I have been browsing Mothering dot com for the last 8 weeks and I just registered. I am a mom of twin toddlers, 21 months old, gave birth at AAMC with Dr. Repka from Annapolis OBGYN. I was very unsatisfied with them, although they did perform an excellent cesarean surgery (which, in my opinion was completely unnecessary). I was in labor for 17 hours, without any intervention other than the fetal monitoring. Baby A (first one on pelvis) was head down and Baby B was slightly traverse. As discussed with the 2 doctors I continuously saw at the practice throughout the prenatal care, we were going to try for vaginal natural birth. However, when my husband, mother and I walked into the hospital, waiting in Triage, the doctor on call walks and said, "Hello! Well, twins, are you ready to have these babies? We'll get you ready for the c-section!" I was like, um, no, this is not what was discussed with the other doctors. He decided to go into statistics with my husband and I about the possibility of me actually giving birth vaginally with only 1 baby head down. Anyway, for the entire time I was laboring in the hospital, the Dr. came in the room every 1-2 hours and asked me, "did you think about having the c-section? You can have your babies in 20 minutes".

After 17 hours, he claims I was at 7 cm dilated for a few hours and didn't seem like I was going to dilate anymore.

Anyway, I am 9 weeks pregnant, and just had my first visit with Special Beginnings, however, they are backed by the same practice, Annapolis OBGYN. I don't want to get my hopes up with this birth and then to be let down because of "policies" or whatever goes on between these places affiliated with the hospitals.

Any advice? Any recommendations? This is a single pregnancy, so I am not high risk, other than wanting a VBAC. I am open to homebirth.

Thank you so much, in advance.
#2 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Umm, how about connecting with ICAN? : )

Email me over at ICANofBaltimore @ comcast.net and I'll send you my starter up email. Our meetings are on summer hiatus but will resume in Sept.

Barbara Stratton
ICAN of Baltimore chapter leader
www.icanofbaltimore.or
www.ican-online.org (ICAN is an all-volunteer organization. No one profits from the listing of our URL)
#3 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Lots of midwives in MD will take you sweetie!

hh2.gif

#4 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh boy is yours a familiar tale. I had a couple having twins with them and they said all the right things about vaginal birth until 36 weeks then proceeded to torture mama with the dead baby card about doing an elective C. She chose to jump to Dr. Tchabo at Virginia Hospital Center ( as I had been begging her to do for months) and had a vaginal breech baby A and head down after doc reached in to turn baby B. It is unfathomable to me why a doc would do a vertex/transverse by cesarean except that this practice is highly interventive. I love SB, but when my clients end up on the backups radar, I encourage them to move on quickly. There are numerous homebirth midwives who will do a vbac for you. I have assisted her with a number of twin homebirths and vbacs. PM if you want a name. She does try to work with insurance but her status as a CPM means it is not always possible with all. You'd have to ask her office manager or her about it.
#5 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

HomeWithTwinsMama, MysticMomma and WomanCareDoula, thanks for your responses. I've gotten a few recommendations and also read some previous posts about Susan Dodge. I emailed her but I did not get a reply yet. I am planning to call her sometime this week. Thanks HomeWithTwinsMama, I will PM you if Susan Dodge does not work out for me. Any experiences with her?

Thank you.
#6 of 23 Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM

I know SB won't do VBAC, and I am not sure about AAMC's policy, but I was unhappy with my hospitals VBAC policy (required too much intervention that I think would have set me up for repeat C/S). Loved my homebirth two weeks ago, and although insurance won't cover, it was affordable, and about the same price as if I would have had to pay 15% of a C/S hospital bill. My m/w charges based on what you can afford so don't let insurance deter you. Best of luck to you.
#7 of 23 Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Did SB change their policy to not do VBACs anymore?
#8 of 23 Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm sorry- that wasn't clear...they will do prenatal care for VBACs and attend VBACs at AAMC, but you cannot deliver VBAC there because they don't have the standby operating team the ACOG reccomends for VBACs. This is a recent change I believe.
#9 of 23 Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyesq View Post
I know SB won't do VBAC, and I am not sure about AAMC's policy, but I was unhappy with my hospitals VBAC policy (required too much intervention that I think would have set me up for repeat C/S). Loved my homebirth two weeks ago, and although insurance won't cover, it was affordable, and about the same price as if I would have had to pay 15% of a C/S hospital bill. My m/w charges based on what you can afford so don't let insurance deter you. Best of luck to you.
Not true. They do VBAC's bc I just had one with them on July 20th!

To the OP, yes SB is backed up by Ann OB/GYN but they have NO say in your care whatsoever. You only have to meet with them for a consult on a repeat c/s "just in case" you dont go into labor by 41w5d. However, SB has many tricks up their sleeves to get you into labor before that even becomes an issue.

I had a VERY successful VBAC with Joanne at SB on 7/20. My son's HB kept dropping when I was pushing and after an hour it took about 40 seconds for his Hb to recover. I had pushed him down far enough though that they suggested we use a vacuum. They called in Ann OB/GYN (Dr Michel) and she did a BEAUTIFUL job delivering our son. Never ANy mention of a c/s. In fact, she even said, "I see no need for a c/s here...you are a good pusher and with a little help we can get this baby out asap." Good thing they did bc his cord was wrapped around his posterior shoulder, around his body and wrapped around his legs. I had the longest cord anyone had ever seen and once his head was out, they lost his Hb completely bc his cord got clamped intside the birth canal. Dr Michel pulled him right out and he was perfect.

Anyway, the ONLY reason they even called in Ann OB/GYN was bc it was nessecary. Otherwise I never would have seen them. Dont let Ann OB/GYN scare you off from SB.

Good luck!

Love 12.22.2004 ** Marriage 2.24.2007 ** Baby Carriage 8.7.2007 ** Double Stroller 7.20.2009 ** Triple Trouble EDD 5.15.2011
#10 of 23 Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Hi there! I also had twins by c-section 2.5 years ago (with Tchabo) and now am hoping for a VBAC. We are with Susan Dodge and the care has been exactly what I've been looking for. Plus we were able to get my insurance to cover 100%. Good luck with your VBAC.

Kelly with 4 DDs (8,6,4,4) and 1 DS (1)
#11 of 23 Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM

I work for/with Evelyn Mulhahn in Catonsville who does vbac and takes insurance as well. You could interview her as well as Susan Dodge for contrasting styles.
#12 of 23 Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post

To the OP, yes SB is backed up by Ann OB/GYN but they have NO say in your care whatsoever. You only have to meet with them for a consult on a repeat c/s "just in case" you dont go into labor by 41w5d. However, SB has many tricks up their sleeves to get you into labor before that even becomes an issue.

Otherwise I never would have seen them. Dont let Ann OB/GYN scare you off from SB.

Good luck!
I am sorry but this is just not true. As soon as you begin getting biophysical profiles you are on the backups radar. I have had issues with them with twin mamas and with "big baby "freakouts and coercive pushing for elective cesareans. I dislike them intensely because of what has happened with my bc clients who have gotten in their sights. If I want a vbac I am going with a homebirth midwife or with Maryland General Hospital and their 22 percent lowest in the Maryland cesarean rate!
#13 of 23 Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Pipermomma! Thank you so much for you post. I had a conversation with Susan two nights ago. I really like the idea of having her for this birth, our only issue is the insurance. How did you get insurance to cover 100%? We have OneNet PPO.

How far along in your pregnancy are you? I really would love to have a homebirth with Susan. Your response to my post gave me reassurance.

Sincerely,
Ria
#14 of 23 Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
I am sorry but this is just not true. As soon as you begin getting biophysical profiles you are on the backups radar. I have had issues with them with twin mamas and with "big baby "freakouts and coercive pushing for elective cesareans. I dislike them intensely because of what has happened with my bc clients who have gotten in their sights. If I want a vbac I am going with a homebirth midwife or with Maryland General Hospital and their 22 percent lowest in the Maryland cesarean rate!
In my particular situation it was true. I did not want a homebirth and I also wasnt sure i wanted to go all natural so giving birth in a hospital was my choice. I also knew i wanted to deliver close to my home and I heard great things about SB. Now I;m not sure about AOBGYN as a whole but in my situation I had no problems or "coercion" from AOBGYN. Sure they were on call for my VBAC in case of an emergency but the only reason they even knew i was there was bc I asked to speak to the on call from AOBGYN (bc of some issues i was having and i wanted to meet the person who was on call that night just in case).

Love 12.22.2004 ** Marriage 2.24.2007 ** Baby Carriage 8.7.2007 ** Double Stroller 7.20.2009 ** Triple Trouble EDD 5.15.2011
#15 of 23 Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Had a friend VBAC successfully at AAMC with SB midwives but had a very stressful experience - doctor was putting time pressure on the situation.  :(

#16 of 23 Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies. I know this is a late update, but it's been very busy with twin toddlers and a pregnancy. I am now 34 weeks. I am with Special Beginnings in Arnold. I will be VBAC'ing with them at AAMC, it is their policy. I went back to them after doing some intensive searches. Susan Dodge, she was great, loved meeting with her for the interview and she was very responsive with all my questions about home birth, however, declined services due to her personal practice being new and not ready for a VBAC, which I completely understand. It will be a big risk for someone working for themselves. I am sure she will be able to attend other normal homebirths.

So far, so good in the pregnancy, except for my development of Pubic Symphisis Dysfunction with started on New Years Day. I am still very nervous about delivering at the hospital, and wish I could still have a homebirth, however, at this point and this late in the pregnancy, I don't have any other choice. I pray that all goes will with this VBAC.

Thanks again,
#17 of 23 Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM

It is NOT too late to switch to someone else...

You can change the day before you go into labor. My friend switched away from SB while she was in early labor and gave birth with a new provider a few days later. It's NEVER too late to switch.

YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE CHOICE. Sorry to use caps and 'yell' but your comment 'I don't have any other choice' got me...

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#18 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Gotta blow the whistle on this one b/c it is drastic misinformation.

Someone due in May has PLENTY of time for the baby to turn, wouldn't even be expected to be head down right now. The midwives at SB will help with ideas and referrals to encourage this, should the baby not be vertex BY 34 WEEKS. The RECOMMENDATION will be for scheduling a c/section should the baby not turn by 38 wks, but there is no "letting" people do what they will do. Plenty of mamas have declined the scheduled c/section and come in when they were in labor. Either the baby turned and they went on to birth vaginally or the baby did not turn and they had a surgical birth.

I am not instigating a discussion on vaginal vs. surgical breech birth, just wanted to get the correct information out there.

Melissa

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)
#19 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree since I know the person and I know what's been said to her. Pressure has been on her about her breech baby for several weeks now despite that she's got a ton of time for turning.

~ Fe ~
#20 of 23 Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree since I know the person and I know what's been said to her. Pressure has been on her about her breech baby for several weeks now despite that she's got a ton of time for turning.
I too have had a client who felt pressured well before 38 weeks to schedule, because of the backups for SB. Once you get on their backup OBs radar, you just get a lot of negativity. My client went on to have breech breech vaginal twins with Dr. Tchabo, switching at the very end of her pregnancy. Its sad that they don't keep up with the literature and their colleagues in Canada who no longer require cesarean for breech.
#21 of 23 Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
You are on their radar long before biophysicals. As a prior sb client, I know that the mws meet with annapolis ob gyn and review the patient charts once a month, with emphasis given to their vbac clients. They review your file and make their determination of your outcome long before your labor starts. I believe I was 30 wks when megan said annapolis obgyn okayed my vbac.

Overall, I had an awful experience with the group, from the office staff to the mw who ripped my vbac away even though I could feel her head. I don't. Recommend the practice to anyone, especially after being told that I would need to seek care elsewhere because of my csections. After being told by a mw there that they would still see me but couldn't 'allow' me to have a vaginal birth because of two sections.

I try not to share my story (and I know 3 others who've been unhappy with sb, so its not just me) because I don't like to share negativity (I got too much of that when pregnant) but I urge anyone wanting a vbac to explore all of their options. Sb has a higher vbac to section rate than they put out there and its not all because of annapolis obgyn (based on my firsthand experience).

Good luck to the op. Remember you do have choice. Hb midwives will work with you. Don't settle for care you aren't happy with. Ik did personally and in being completely honest, I regret it.

~ Fe ~
#22 of 23 Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 PM

It depends on your insurance. We have Blue cross Carefirst PPO and they preauthorized my homebirth with a CPM at 100%. I knew that they covered the CNM's but was SHOCKED to be told that "K" would be 100% covered! We just had our baby last week, and I wish I would have used her for all my births.
PLEASE do NOT settle for care that isn't what you want or need. Your birth with change you forever. You and your baby deserve the best birth possible. It may be a bit of money but you and your baby are worth it.
Best wishes.
#23 of 23 Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi iluvmy4girls, can you PM about this? I am 2 weeks away from my due date, and I am feeling the pressure already from SB to make that appt with AnnOBGYN to "schedule c-section" if I go overdue. I do not feel comfortable with that. I sent out an email 2 weeks ago to every other mw or birthing center and told them my story and I got no reply. If you were able to get the same insurance to cover 100%, I so NEED your guidance right now. A back up plan is what my husband and I need if we are feeling pressure out of a VBAC. I'd really appreciate it if you can PM me any info, or if you CPM are taking last minute clients. I am already 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced, 38 weeks tomorrow.

Thank you sooo much, everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page