Looking for a delayed/selective vax friendly pedi in AA county Maryland - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm looking for a delayed/selective vax friendly pedi in AA county Maryland.

I'm in Pasadena Maryland....and I'd like someone who is close by if possible. A friend recommended Dr. Watson in Upper Marlboro, but she is a bit far for me (would like to find someone closer if possible) A few also have suggested Dr. Margaret Sears in Columbia.....but she has a long waiting list (been on it since last year).

Anyone else know of good pedi's in Anne Arundel County?

Thanks!

Wife to Tim (7-30-01), Momma to M (12-13-08) Breastfeeding Co-sleeping delayed vaxing, baby signing family. Knitter and Army Veteran, crunchy momma.
#2 of 12 Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM

There are doctors in Arundel pediatrics who will delay vax. You have to ask/interview because the one I had did not and was not open to it, but I have heard that the other doctors are. I just didn't get the one that was open to it because she was on maternity leave when I had my baby, her baby was born a day or two after mine.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 12 Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM

I take DD to Arundel Pediatrics and LOVE them. I go to Dr. Fitch Alexander and she is awesome I would HIGHLY recommend her. She used CD's, baby wears and BF's her own children so she is the crunchiest of the bunch of doctors there. She will allow selective/delayed vax schedules but if you choose to not vax at all they will eventually ask you to leave the practice. But as long as you are doing a delayed schedule she is cool with it

I also live in Pasadena and it takes us about 20-25 minutes to get there depending on traffic.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#4 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 AM

hey hyIndlas-

was wondering if you had found a ped you like in the area? i am also searching for someone who is delayed/selective vax friendly pedi in anne arundel (live in pasadena). i'm really looking for someone with a blended practice (allopathic/naturopathic/homeopathic) like dr. sears but i understand she isn't taking insurance anymore. any advice/thoughts??

thanks!

treehugger.gif

#5 of 12 Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

Let me send you a PM as well...maybe since your so close we can do a playdate.

I recommend  you contact Dr. Beams. She is in Columbia and she is very open minded.

She is on the NAP yahoo group as well. :)

We still are at Arundel Peds but we may end up switching because Dr. Fitch left. Our backup is Dr. Jobes and  she has been supportive of our vax schedule as well.

Wife to Tim (7-30-01), Momma to M (12-13-08) Breastfeeding Co-sleeping delayed vaxing, baby signing family. Knitter and Army Veteran, crunchy momma.
#6 of 12 Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 PM

I heard special beginnings in arnold has a list of ped's that are selective/vax friendly available, but I never looked into it anymore than that.... Worth giving a shot? 

I live in millersville and go see Jane Roach who's off of 450, in Crofton, it's about a 20 minute drive for me. I like her since she's not pushy, she tells me what vax's she thinks I should get - yet respects my opinion on whatever I decide. I left my old ped since she was pushy, even though I already told her I was doing delayed/ selective vaxing, she started pushing me hard at the 4 month check up - even though I didn't feel that I knew what I wanted exactly do yet. You can always vaccinate, but you can never take it away - I didn't appreciate her pushyness. 

#7 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM

thanks ladies! i have left a message with dr. beams so i am hoping to do a meet and greet soon! we went to an open house at arundel pediatrics, but as i understand it dr. fitch (who was supposedly the most open to all this) has recently left. they pushed a very strong message about being 100% pro vaccinations and said they would probably be open to discussing delaying to an extent but otherwise it's not the practice for you. i got the impression they would be rather pushy and a little further from offering natural and alternative care than i'd like...

treehugger.gif

#8 of 12 Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Bumping this in hopes of getting some more current recommendations.  We're in Annapolis.

#9 of 12 Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM

I'll bump this as well, in case anyone has any other suggestions in AA county or surrounding areas.

I am in Howard County and have been using Dr. Khurana. she is open to delay/selective vax, and even non-vax up to a point it seems. mine are completely unvaxxed, so we have been satisfied there for the most part. I may be getting picky, but I felt some unspoken pressure & disapproval upon my last visit. she overbooks & was impatient & hurried. I of course, took this to mean it was because I only take my kids there when they 'need' to go. my son had a painful ear infection, so after trying everything else, we went in & got his first ever dose of antibiotics.

But if she stays supportive and low-pressure, I may just stay there for the time being.

I had an unpleasant experience with Dr. Beams, however. Was so excited based upon all the 'crunchy' recommendations and found her very warm & open during the first part of our interview. But when the topic of non-vaxxing came up, all eye contact was dropped and she freely admitted that she is torn on the subject and even considered taking no more nonvax families. A second problem I had with her office was a pretty annoying clerical/billing error. I've only been to her for a new patient interview prior to the birth of my second child. She never examined my son or even took a heartbeat - just pure Q & A session. a few weeks later, we received a bill from her office for a specific procedure they thought was performed on my son. I wrote a quick note saying it must be a mistake and forgot about it, since it was only an interview we'd had and one that she had not passed for our family. Then we receive 2 more bills and we called and the receptionist apologized for the records mix-up. However, one more bill arrives, and this time when we call, there is no apology and Dr. Beams herself even gets on the line to argue with us about it, saying she'll just have to count it as a 'loss!' Even after we reminded her that we'd already received an apology for the error. Hugely unprofessional - especially from someone with such ambitions. months later, i'm still mind-boggled by her behavior.
So yeah, not all the hype is to be believed unfortunately.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#10 of 12 Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with Dr. Beams, but it makes me feel better about not being willing to drive out to her. Based on some recommendations I got on another site I have it narrowed down to Davidsonville Pediatrics and TLC Pediatrics in Bowie. I have an interview with one of the NPs at Davidsonville in a month. I'll report back then, but am still interested in any other recommendations (or thoughts on the two I mentioned).
#11 of 12 Old 07-13-2014, 08:49 PM

I am bumping this as well. We just moved to northern calvert co and looking for a pediatrician. We have always selective vaxed. I am more sure how we can continue in md and still have the kids in public school.
#12 of 12 Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM

Following up, I interviewed at Davidsonville Pediatrics last week and was really pleased. We're definitely going with them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page