pediatrician in the first 3 days - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we toured special beginnings and also got some information from susan dodge about home birth. they both require that you visit a pediatrician within the first 3 days. what is this for and what does the pediatrician do at that visit? i did not know that before we went on the sb tour.

does anyone have a favorite ped that is convenient to the hamilton area (northeast baltimore city)? we have a while to find one. i am not due until april. :

thanks!!
#2 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM

weight check, head circumference, length.

first PKU test, and hepB shot if vaxing.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#3 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post
weight check, head circumference, length.
Blah -- the HB midwife does that As do birthing facilities
Quote:
first PKU test, and hepB shot if vaxing.
The PKU -- mandated by law

My husband brought my baby so I wouldn't have to expend my energy going.
#4 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
The PKU -- mandated by law
Is that a new requirement? We did not do it with, hmmmm, any of our kids. :

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#5 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 03:30 PM

they basically do the same type of newborn check that the m/w does after birth and at the pp checkups. it can be important if you have trouble nursing and weight gain, to get that checked in time. and, the blood work, as pp said. it doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes check the baby over. my nephew was born with a serious congential heart defect that NOBODY caught until the two week check up (born at a hospital, standard c-sec for failure to progress).
also, they will remove the cord clamp (if not done at 2 daypost partum check up) and other little stuff like that.
evelyn requires the same.
#6 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Also it's semi flexible. My 2nd was born early on Friday morning. I OBVIOUSLY forgot to call the doc that day, called on Monday and they couldn't fit me in till Thursday.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#7 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM

I am birthing at SB and I just signed up with a pediatrician. I live in Hamilton, too, but I am using Dr. Tellerman at the Rotunda in Hamden. Of course, we haven't been to him yet, but he was familiar with families choosing to birth at SB and at home, and he was extremely helpful. Good luck!

First time mama expecting 10/7/09
#8 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everybody!
#9 of 38 Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM

That's wierd, my mw encourages us to stay home and not rush right into the peds. She comes out and does the Metabolic Screen as well.

hh2.gif

#10 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM

PkU is not required by law. None of the tests, procedures, shots, etc are.
Birth Centers and midwives kind of HAVE to "require" you to go to a ped sice they don't really provide comprehensive care for a baby. But honestly, what will they do if you don't go? Put the baby back in?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#11 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 AM

The metabolic screen is req'd by law. Much in the way Vit k is, (as in you can decline).

hh2.gif

#12 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Well, if you can decline, then it's not really required.

#13 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM

I have seen waivers to decline Vitamin K, Hep B, the eye gunk, etc but NEVER PKU. I was told it's mandated by the Maryland Board of Health...
#14 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Maybe "suggested" is more accurate. lol

#15 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM

We have not done the PKU/metabolic screening and have never had any problem. Never even had to sign anything. We simply said no thanks. It wasn't a big deal.

#16 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

what is metabolic screening? is that different than the pku test?
#17 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM

It's the same test. They screen for more than just PKU, though it is usually called the PKU test.
I believe they test for different things in different states. Interesting.
I opted out of it because there is no history of any metabolic disorders in our families and we have no risk factors for most of them. They say it's just a simple heel stick but in reality it often involves multiple sticks, lots of heel squeezing to get the correct amount of blood and then a call back a week later because they still didn't get enough to test accurately. The risk of having one of the disorders is so small while the trauma of the test is certain. No thank you.

#18 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

i will definitely ask the midwife about that. i am a little paranoid about pku because my mom was a special ed teacher and she had a student who was mentally retarded due to pku that the parents did not know about. (this was before the test was "mandatory.") i know it is rare, but sometimes having a first- or second-hand experience makes a person more worried.
#19 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Yes, if I knew I didn't HAVE to subject my children to it, I would definitely "opt out". Guess I'll do more research, because I was under the impression it was one of those things that would alert CPS, and that scares the living daylights out of me. Genetically, my kids are at an extremely lower risk than the already rare rate of having this metabolic disorder.
#20 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
They say it's just a simple heel stick but in reality it often involves multiple sticks, lots of heel squeezing to get the correct amount of blood and then a call back a week later because they still didn't get enough to test accurately.
the test is done twice at least a week apart to compare the two - they drop the blood on 4 or 5 circles on a piece of paper. both of my children have had it done, my son was born in January it was cold in the office and his foot just wouldn't bleed so in took awhile but they didn't stick him more then once. for my daughter they used a little foot warmer before it was done.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#21 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
I was under the impression it was one of those things that would alert CPS, and that scares the living daylights out of me.
:

#22 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

i read that the reason they do it twice is that the first test is usually invalid because it is done in the hospital before the baby has had a chance to really be eating any proteins (before your milk really comes in), but they do it right away in the hospital at least once to cover their butts in case you don't come back and do the other test a few days later.

has anyone else heard that?
#23 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorefarmgirl View Post
i read that the reason they do it twice is that the first test is usually invalid because it is done in the hospital before the baby has had a chance to really be eating any proteins (before your milk really comes in), but they do it right away in the hospital at least once to cover their butts in case you don't come back and do the other test a few days later.

has anyone else heard that?
Yes. Babe should have been on "milk" for at least 24 hours before the results are valid. We usually test on day 6ish.

hh2.gif

#24 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
the test is done twice at least a week apart to compare the two - they drop the blood on 4 or 5 circles on a piece of paper. both of my children have had it done, my son was born in January it was cold in the office and his foot just wouldn't bleed so in took awhile but they didn't stick him more then once. for my daughter they used a little foot warmer before it was done.
My homebirth babies only had it done once. But they had to squeeze a ton and make 'em cry to get out enough blood :
I think if you skip the first one done as a new newborn, there is no point in doing 2. It's not for comparison as much as "early detection" that sometimes the first one returns a false negative. Once one waits (ours were done at 2 weeks), just one test is "needed".
#25 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Oh, didn't notice the second page -- guess I'm a bit late on that.
#26 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM

i stand corrected. that's good to know.

here's s helpful link ...
http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3q6x,00.html

#27 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

that's the same website i found the info! thanks for sharing!
#28 of 38 Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
It doesn't always work so easily. One of my sons got cut several times for it and squeezed and squeezed. He screamed the entire time. They called me a few days later and said they still had not gotten enough blood for an accurate reading.
I have heard similar stories from other moms who have had bad experiences.
I've never heard of anyone locally being reported for skipping newborn tests or even vaccines. I'm sure it happens but I haven't heard about it. This is a good thing to ask about when interviewing peds!

#29 of 38 Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM

We had DD at the Maternity Center when it was still open, and they too ask you to notify your ped that you will need to bring the baby in within 1-2 days for an appt. That is also standard at BirthCare. Our peds were very accommodating about making time for us. (We had DD Friday night and saw the ped Monday morning.) We had the metabolic screening done, and it was no big deal--in fact, I think DD was nursing the whole time. The ped also noticed DD's jaundice, which was pretty bad by then and which we would not have noticed -- the LC on staff there helped me figure out better BF strategies so DD started eating better and we got the jaundice to clear. Anyway, I am a big fan of the 2 day ped visit, FWIW.

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#30 of 38 Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your input mimi! i appreciate it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page