more venting about the cesarean art exhibit venue search - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turned down by another three places today including Baltimore City's Enoch Pratt libraries unless we can provide our own art walls to hang the stuff from. Even if we do, I'm sure they will decide the artwork is too graphic.

Add to the list of causes for rejection that the issue is "too narrow, like if we did an exhibit just for people who had had tonsilectomies. Why don't you contact the art galleries in the area hospitals?"

I've had that suggestion a few times over - like the average person has no idea that many many of these cesareans are unnecessary/coerced/forced/bullied. That hospitals are generally the bad guys in the formula.

Really feeling like no one in the Baltimore metro cares enough about this issue to give it a voice.

-Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 PM

Have you talked to Special Beginnings about having it there?

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Sorry, my artist friend never got back to me. What about Maryland Hall? Or have it in a hotel. They have small conference rooms. I've been to art shows in hotels before.

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
Have you talked to Special Beginnings about having it there?
I have thought of them but haven't approached them yet as my hope was to have a location that was readily accessible to Baltimore or in between Baltimore and DC along the I 95 corridor.

-Barbara
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
Sorry, my artist friend never got back to me. What about Maryland Hall? Or have it in a hotel. They have small conference rooms. I've been to art shows in hotels before.
I'm not familiar with Maryland Hall. Can you make the inquiry there for us? My goal is to leave the exhibit up for a few weeks if not the entire month of April (Cesarean Awareness Month). I'm trying not to put so much time and money into a project that is only up for a few hours.

-Barbara
Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 AM

B-
It's the Md Hall for the Creative Arts. I don't really know anyone there or I would be glad to make a call. I'll keep thinking of places...

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM

What about someplace like the American Visionary Art Museum in Bmore? Graphic wouldn't bother them, I don't think. I don't have any contacts there, they just come to mind. www.avam.org

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi View Post
What about someplace like the American Visionary Art Museum in Bmore? Graphic wouldn't bother them, I don't think. I don't have any contacts there, they just come to mind. www.avam.org
Here is a list of some of the places that we've been turned down or otherwise had to rule out:

Howard Community College art gallery (our stuff isn't fine art)
American Visionary Art Museum (too narrow a focus)
Slayton House (booked for 2010)
MICA (ditto)
Community Colleges of Baltimore County (ditto)
Towson Univ. WMST department (no response)
UMBC WMST (ditto)
BMA
Loads of Fun (not experimental enough)
Hamilton Arts Collective (they don't want to lease out their space)
Studio 55
Gallery Imperato (moving locations, not accepting proposals)
School 33 (books 1 to 2 years out)
Enoch Pratt libraries (unless we could provide our own walls to hang stuff from and even then I'm sure we are too graphic)
Waverly Community Arts Center (too small)
the fine arts center in Owings Mills (again, we aren't fine art)
Towson University art gallery (ditto)
Baltimore Art Space (moving locations so can't entertain proposals until late Dec.)
Maryland Art Space (booked way far out in advance)
2640 space (could only have it up for a weekend and would cost $1,000)
Baltimore Unitarian Church (only rents by the hour)
Hexagon (that place looks scary from the outside)
Creative Alliance (they re-paint the gallery walls for every exhibit with standard latex paint (not low VOC or anything) and go through 50 gallons of paint/year. I can't set foot in the place due to air quality)

... and too many others to name.

I do have proposals submitted with the Maryland Women's Heritage Foundation and Metro Gallery and am awaiting to hear back. I've also sent an inquiry to the Relay Town Hall and the Waverly Community Family Center.

Can anyone make some direct inquiries for this to help out?

-Barbara
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Could you be more specific in what you need?

Amt of space?
Amt of time?
Funds available?

hh2.gif

Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Could you be more specific in what you need?

Amt of space?
Amt of time?
Funds available?
We don't have the artwork in hand yet so its hard to say an exact space need but I would say more than just a small room (like the back building at Breathe Books or a single yoga studio room) but not as much as a multi-room gallery.

My preference would be to have the exhibit up for the month of April. Definitely don't prefer to go through all the work for a 3 hour event.

The first grant application deadline is 10/16 and so I need to know what the space will charge before that so as to apply for those funds. I've considered a space that was as high as $900 for the month although that is tough to manage since obviously grants aren't guaranteed. We are doing two fundraisers this fall (a portrait photographer at the Nov. ICAN meeting and a really cool film if I can land a cheap theater - working on that as well!) to raise money for this project.

I have a typed up proposal I've been using if you need a copy of that to email out.

I just had one museum director say "Why do you think an ART EXHIBIT is the BEST WAY to raise awareness of this issue? Why don't you JUST EDUCATE women to tell their OBs that they only want a cesarean if it is completely necessary and that if the OB can't share that value then to refer her elsewhere? Why don't you research how many cesareans are being done in Baltimore and ask The Urbanite to do a story? Why do you think a cultural instititution would devote their resources to making this their cause celebre?"

Um, kinda on that stuff already kwim?

-Barbara
Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Have you considered renting a motel room or apt for the month?

hh2.gif

Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM

What about renting an empty store at the mall or small shopping center? I'm not sure if those rent by the month or if they are too expensive, but it might be worth checking out.

Have you checked with local colleges?

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Howard County Center for the Arts ?

http://www.hocoarts.org/

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post
Howard County Center for the Arts ?

http://www.hocoarts.org/
One other person has suggested them to me. Would you be willing to make the initial pitch? If I don't land a space in the next week I'll have to accept that fact that we will need to censor out any pieces with objectionable images to make the exhibit vanilla enough to stick it in a restaurant. I really hadn't wanted to do that. Our first grant deadline is 10/16 and I started making inquiries on 8/1. I'm running out of time.

-Barbara
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM

There's a new gallery on Washington Blvd - have you tried them? I haven't been in it yet, but it's brand new.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
There's a new gallery on Washington Blvd - have you tried them? I haven't been in it yet, but it's brand new.
Not sure - do you know the name?

-Barbara
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womancaredoula View Post
Not sure - do you know the name?

-Barbara
Gallery 788.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 PM

I know this is not ideal at all, but if you really don't find anywhere to have it, ou could have a virtual show. I just read about another organization that is hosting an online art show and auction. They re showing the pieces for 10 days and then on the last day they will auction them off. I don't know if you're planning a sale or just a showing but it's an interesting idea, if nothing else comes up for the ICAN pieces.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womancaredoula View Post
One other person has suggested them to me. Would you be willing to make the initial pitch? If I don't land a space in the next week I'll have to accept that fact that we will need to censor out any pieces with objectionable images to make the exhibit vanilla enough to stick it in a restaurant. I really hadn't wanted to do that. Our first grant deadline is 10/16 and I started making inquiries on 8/1. I'm running out of time.

-Barbara
i'm sorry i can't volunteer any time to this - i only know of the place because i drive by it now and then and i once had a friend with a piece in an art show there a couple years ago. I don't have any personal connections.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

Old 09-28-2009, 06:46 PM

My friend went to Goucher in Towson and it seems like the kind of place that would embrace this. I really hope you find something....

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post
My friend went to Goucher in Towson and it seems like the kind of place that would embrace this. I really hope you find something....
Thanks to the pp for the tip on gallery 788. I just saw them posting for submissions on craig's list too and so sent them an inquiry yesterday.

The artwork won't be for sale as it will become a traveling exhibition for other ICAN chapters to use in their own communties.

Yes, I'm sure Goucher would be a great place to have the exhibit but I'm spent on making these calls. Yesterday I ruled out Baltimore City Hal's gallery (they only do exhibits that are affiliated with Baltimore City gov't programs) and left a message for the Howard County Libraries. I've also got about 98% certainty the Baltimore County libraries don't have a space for a long term exhibit after my first round of calls with them. If anyone has a moment to inquire with them please let me know - you can pitch through the WMST dept if they have one and also inquire whether they have an official gallery or any non-gallery spaces we could use.

-Barbara S.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, didn't know Villa Julie no longer existed! Can you make the initial calls to find out who their WMST contact is and a gallery contact if they have gallery plus ask how far in advance the gallery books?

I ruled out Baltimore City Hall's art gallery today as they only run exhibits that are affiliated with city gov't programs.

Pretty certain I'm ruling out Howard County libraries too unless we want our entire exhibit to be in glass cases which, for one thing, won't fit belly casts. We'd also have to censor the art since they don't have a sequestered space.

Have a bite a a family community center in Baltimore City but it is another type of situation where we will have to censor the art. I'll check out the facility soon. The good news is that we would be reaching a different audience than usual including some first time teen moms.

Was also given a lead about vacant store space downtown that is seeking community groups to use it however the woman who handles it just about assured me that any art with objectionable content wouldn't make the cut.

-Barbara

User Tag List