Where to live, near DC? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i grew up in the D.C./montgomery county area, and i'd have to agree with pretty much everything op have said. Sugarlumpkin is totally correct about crime in TP, and if your salary is between 60-70's you probably couldn't get a house (even a foreclosure) on the interior corridor of TP that is so spectacular, like others have said. there is a corridor in TP that is very crunchy with awesome old houses with lots of character and style, the folks are great adn liberal, and then there is the surrounding area of TP that lead into DC and PG county, and those areas can be pretty scary. your income is what DH and i have and we are having a hard time finding a new place that isn't going to suck up the majority of our monthly income.
i would look into forest glen, the houses aren't as fantastic, but they are a bit safer, i would also look into kensington. i would avoid anything that closely borders Wheaton plaza/westfeild shopping center. Forest glen can be waling distance to metro, the schools are pretty good, it is close to downtown silver spring. you can find a small cape cod for 250-325,000.
although schools in MOCO are better than PG county, each varies and they are over crowded. that being said, an involved parent (which i wold assume you are if you are on MDC) will be sure that their kid is fine. rockville can also be a good place to look. it may be a longer train commute (by 20 mintues) but the twinbrook area is nice, and they recently redid the rockville town center, so pretty much anything around the rockville towncenter is good. (rockville is east of the wheaton/SS/TP area, but still in MOCO).
so:
TP (but really be careful, cause there are some pretty scary parts)
forest glen
rockville (twinbrook, Rockville Town center)
Downtown Silver Spring
kensington

good luck!
#32 of 60 Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM

I couldn't agree more with rachel_eva. She said it all for me!

My cousin and his wife live in Kensington and they love it--they are not crunchy folk but they have a 2 yr old and they want good schools and good food and easy commutes too.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#33 of 60 Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Oh, and I'd also suggest Hyattsville. I've heard it called the new Takoma Park! It is in Prince George's County, so the schools are not as good as Montgomery County, but again, like rachel_eva said, if you are an involved parent, things will be better for your child. I have friends who live in Hyattsville (SAHD, WOHM, 2 little boys) and they love the community feel, the playgroups, the parks, the proximity to DC (she works in DC). You could prolly swing a house there, too.

Hyattsville is also close to Mount Rainier, which I would not recommend you move to, but it is an arts revitalization district, so good to be close to as things progress.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#34 of 60 Old 10-31-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

This is great, guys. So we are now officially moving out there for sure! My husband has a starting date in mid-November and the rest of us will probably all fly out after Christmas. I've been bookmarking all the rentals that interest us, and all of them right now are in either Rockville or Takoma Park. I'm feeling torn, though, because from what I can "see", Rockville schools boast spectacularly high test scores, and the area boasts a complete absence of crime, but is the area sort of canned and lacking character the way new developments are that crop up all over the country? You know, cookie cutter residential housing developments and apartment complexes, a Best Buy, an REI, a couple Starbucks, etc....?

And then on the other hand, here's Takoma Park, full of character and a unique style, but with more crime, and schools that post pretty lousy test scores. I know I can't judge a school by its test scores alone, or by the racial makeup of the student body, or any other statistical factor in isolation, but I want to get the most accurate picture possible, of these places, because it looks we'll have to find a place to rent without me seeing it in person, first.

Can anyone tell me why the Takoma Park schools' test scores are so low? Is it because the instruction is lacking, or is there a large percentage of the student body that maybe struggles academically as a result of English being their second language? Sometimes low test scores are a sign of a coarse environment or a lack of funding, and other times it just reflects a challenging social dynamic (I know someone mentioned a lot of immigrants having moved to the Takoma Park area in the last decade or two).

Anyway, I guess this is my long way of saying that I wish I could visit these places in person, because as it stands, I want to live in Takoma Park but have my kids go to school in Rockville, lol! Maybe Rockville isn't a cookie-cutter suburb, or maybe Takoma Park public schools are not as lousy as they look statistically - but I can only see graphs, charts, percentiles, and lousy google map street views. Does anyone have strong feelings about this, or input one way or another?

I still need to look at Kensington.
#35 of 60 Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM

I have friends who live in both Kensington and Rockville.

The family in Kensington wanted to move to Takoma Park but, due to a temporary peculiarity in the real estate market on their street, couldn't. My understanding is that normally, houses in Kensington are more expensive than similar houses in Takoma Park. They are happy with their neighborhood school, and with the neighborhood in general, but it's not crunchy like Takoma Park.

The family in Rockville lives in a very cookie-cutter neighborhood, but is reasonably happy with the neighborhood school. They find Rockville more convenient for their particular commuting situation, but otherwise would prefer to live in Takoma Park if they could afford it.

In the 12 years that I've lived in Takoma Park, my car has been broken into twice. The only thing taken either time was pocket change, and in both cases, they either jimmied the lock or I'd forgotten to lock the car. Both incidents were some years ago. There have been a couple of incidents in my neighborhood recently where folks were robbed by people who entered through unlocked back doors. People in this area who are particularly concerned about property crime have security systems. I find the police department here very responsive, and I do not hesitate to walk alone at night, even quite late.

As for the schools -- I don't have any kids in school myself, but I've never heard anyone on the playground or in my neighborhood express any serious complaints about the schools. (This year, Takoma Park Elementary is being bused in its entirety to another school so TPES can be expanded and renovated, so people have complaints about that.) I know people who have kids in TPES and in Rolling Terrace, which serves the north part of Takoma Park where I live, and offers a sought-after Spanish Immersion program.

You might want to take a look at the survey results for schools in the neighborhoods you are considering:

http://sharedaccountability.mcpsprim...ults/index.php

I don't know which school testing results you were looking at, but if you go to the state site:

http://mdk12.org/

You can look at the data in a variety of ways, including finding out how many students have limited english proficiency (9.7% for Piney Branch Elementary and 37.7% for Rolling Terrace) and how many get free or reduced-price meals (36.7% for Piney Branch Elementary and 60.9% for Rolling Terrace).

I think both Rockville and Kensington are decent places to live. They both have a sense of local character and identity. They both have their own local government, which I think helps a place feel more cohesive. Obviously, I prefer living in Takoma Park, and think that, based on what you've said about yourself, that you'd feel more at home here. On the other hand, there are other places in the county with less crime and "better" schools.

I think schools are the hardest thing to compare, especially between states. It's hard to say whether the schools here are better or worse than what you're used to, for example.

Good luck!

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#36 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago, and decided to come look for myself and OH I'm so glad I did. Its easily justifiable to pay for an airfare when you compare it to how much you'll pay each month. I spent a week looking at rentals, wanting something in Rockville. We ended up in Montgomery Village and really enjoy it here in the Gaithersburg/Germantown area with commuting easy close to Shady Grove Metro. You can drive out to the creamery past Frederick if you want to also.
The tricky thing is- the rentals available now may not be available in December, and nice things also might pop up then. Luckily we were able to start paying rent the day we moved in without having to pay the entire month beforehand. Hopefully you can find a good rental company.. we're glad we went that route rather than renting from an individual. The eminent repairs are a breeze.
Come out and look at some things!!
Glad you have lots of advise from others, this board is great for things like this!!
#37 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 PM

I think you should definitely come visit to get the feel of communities! That is an excellent suggestion!

I also want to tell you that my husband (who is currently staying in TP with friends who have lived there for 30+ years) experienced some property crime in TP just 4 days ago. The window of his truck was smashed and his XM radio was stolen. The friends he is staying with told us not to leave any of of son's toys in their yard because they'd be stolen. They live in the good area of TP, right by old town, within 4 blocks of the Metro! Their sons and daughters all live in TP and all have stories about property crime and about how dangerous it is to walk from the Metro home in the dark. TP is an urban area, with all the disadvantages and advantages!

And remember, it IS an expensive area. The whole DC area is expensive, but TP is particularly high.

#38 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlumpkin View Post
I also want to tell you that my husband (who is currently staying in TP with friends who have lived there for 30+ years) experienced some property crime in TP just 4 days ago. The window of his truck was smashed and his XM radio was stolen. The friends he is staying with told us not to leave any of of son's toys in their yard because they'd be stolen. They live in the good area of TP, right by old town, within 4 blocks of the Metro! Their sons and daughters all live in TP and all have stories about property crime and about how dangerous it is to walk from the Metro home in the dark. TP is an urban area, with all the disadvantages and advantages!
As the main "Takoma Park Booster" on this thread, I just wanted to say that I agree with much of this post.

I would expect that if you left an XM satellite radio or a GPS unit, or perhaps even the mounting for one, visible in your car around here, the unit would get stolen. Not every time, of course, but at some point. I've had this happen to people who live in many parts of the DC area, not just Takoma Park -- a friend of mine who lives in a very nice neighborhood in Chevy Chase had her GPS stolen from her car in broad daylight six months ago. The safest thing to do is to detach the mounting every time you park the car. (I use a beanbag-style mount.)

I would not leave toys lying around in the front yard if I were particularly attached to them. Certainly not bicycles and the like. Of course, there are other parts of this area where it might be safer to do so, but the homeowner's association wouldn't let you -- at least we don't have that plague here.

I will maintain that I don't have a problem walking around at night, though. Perhaps I just don't walk in the parts of town these folks are talking about. Even at 3am, I feel perfectly safe walking in my neighborhood.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#39 of 60 Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM

i think that there is a lot of "minor" property crime anywhere around the D.C. area. my brother lives in vienna VA in an uberexpensive neighborhood and had his GPS stolen out of his car- doors locked, window smashed. it can happen in lots of places.
that being said, i woul definately pay for the plane ticket to come chec the place out. you may find, like a pp, a neighborhood nobody talked about. i think the schools by statistics method doesn't really work. i used to live in columbia MD, and bought there thinking we could send our kids to our neighborhood school. then i taught in columbia and realized that no, i could not send my kids there, despite the stats being good. but, i have a dear neice who went to one of the TP schools, East silver spring, and i did a lot of faux mommy stuff with her (feild trips and class days) and thought that overall it was a good school (there were 5 or 6 kids in her kindergarten, the teachers were very kind adn involved with the student body) but a lot of their scores are probably low cause they do have a lot of non-native speakers who only have engilsh at school. we hs, but i have looked back on that experiance and been impressed with the teachers and school in general. one thing about TP is that there are lots of involved parents which leads to good school experiance overall.
but, the other thing about TP is that you can very quickly head from a mostly safe area into a pretty scary area.
most of flower avenue and the area around the FLower avenue/piney branch intersection is pretty scary. my dh is an immigrant from south america and his neice is having her quincinera at a restuarant near that intersection and HIS family is worried that folks may not show up fo rht eparty because that isn't a safe place at night.
i would come out here and get a map of the silver spring area and sit down with a realtor from ss and mark out on a map what they consider a safe area. then go and check that area out. you may be surprised. or you may not want to live there. as sugarlumpin said, it is an urban area with all the advantges and disadvantages.

also- montgomery county and DC and PG county are incerdibly liberal. it is a very very very diverse area (in terms of class and race and religion) and pretty much anywhere between those three regions you will find that the majority of the people are very liberal and open-minded. not all, but most people here are.
#40 of 60 Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
most of flower avenue and the area around the FLower avenue/piney branch intersection is pretty scary. my dh is an immigrant from south america and his neice is having her quincinera at a restuarant near that intersection and HIS family is worried that folks may not show up fo rht eparty because that isn't a safe place at night.
Seriously?!?

This just goes to show that one person's idea of "scary" can bear no relationship to another's.

I live in that area. I walk on Flower avenue all the time, even late at night, by myself. I've honestly never given my safety at the intersection of Flower and Piney Branch the slightest thought! It's a busy, well-lit intersection with lots of car and pedestrian traffic. There are sidewalks. There are several restaurants and businesses open fairly late. A lot of decent people going about their business.

Obviously, what seems safe to me is very different from what seems safe to you -- and of course I have no idea what the OP considers safe.

#41 of 60 Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so here's what I want to know about this Flower Ave area of TP: When you walk down it at night, do people shout things at you or stare at you creepily as you're walking by? Do you have strangers regularly ask you for money? Are there mentally ill people who mutter to themselves, or look who look angry or like they're on the lookout for a cop? Do people frequently shout at each other, angrily or otherwise, from down or across the road using lots of foul language? Is there a fair amount of broken glass in the form of beer bottles and other litter over the sidewalks? Because that's the neighborhood I used to walk through when my evening classes ended in Schenectady, NY, and although I wasn't too worried about my own safety, I would never have brought my kids through there at 9pm. Those are the kinds of things I would like to live at least three or four blocks away from, if possible. Not that I don't feel badly for people who are mentally ill or who need money, but I don't feel comfortable there with my kids. The feeling of safety is totally subjective. I may just have to send my husband to check it out one night. Unfortunately there won't be a way for me to fly out and see things myself.

But I am loving most of what people are describing about Takoma Park. I really appreciate the information on people's experiences with the schools there. My husband knows what we are after and he has really high standards, but with just the information we have so far, he is rooting for TP right now (or possibly Silver Spring) and hoping we can make that work. (He is REALLY not a fan of generic flavorless cookie-cutter suburbs, and me neither if it means a majority of the other moms are dolled-up bleach blondes wearing Aeropostale, pushing $600 strollers, lol, no offense...you can tell some of the kinds of places I've lived in the past, huh?)
#42 of 60 Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 AM

I do not find Takoma Park scary at all. Of course, I live in DC, which I guess must be horrifying to the people posting in this thread who think TP is dangerous! Since you've lived in an urban area before, I would think that a normal amount of street smarts should keep your family and your property safe in any of the places that have been discussed.

FWIW, I would totally consider living in Takoma Park, Silver Spring, or Hyattsville if we had to move for some reason. Hyattsville is probably more realistic if you are on a tight budget. There's a good mom's group there if you do end up there.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised to find some $600 strollers on the streets of downtown TP, either (we've got them in DC, too)
#43 of 60 Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM

I also don't consider TP to be "unsafe". Of course there are problems anywhere in the metro area, but I have never once felt threatened or even on guard while living here in TP. I have never experienced anything you described in your last post. Nothing even remotely like that.

I used to live in DC proper and felt that way quite a bit. I was always vigilant about my surroundings. Here in TP, I feel like I can just *be* and walk around the neighborhood, enjoying the houses, gardens, etc. We went carless for almost a year and we walked and took the bus everywhere, so I've seen a lot. I've never hesitated on taking my kids with me.

My mom just came for a visit from WA state and she is an ultra-paranoid person as far as safety is concerned. She felt completely comfortable in her visit and kept talking about how much she loved our neighborhood. One thing that surprised her was the amount of trees and green here. It's very lush, lots of hills and winding streets. She commented on how everyone was so nice - the shopkeepers, in restaurants, the neighbors. When we were looking for change in our purse to feed a parking meter, somebody walked over and stuck a couple quarters in, smiled brightly and walked away.

FWIW, we were at that Flower intersection mulitiple times with her at night while she was here and she never once seemed on edge. And that's saying A LOT if you knew my mom. lol

My advice is to just be smart about your things and your family. That should take care of most any potential situation.
#44 of 60 Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM

I know the kind of neighborhood you mean, and this isn't it.

I think someone has asked me for money while I was buying gas at the Shell station near Flower & Piney Branch a couple of times since I've lived here -- so less than 1% of the occasions I've bought gas there. Other than that, I've never had anyone ask me for money.

I have encountered a person who clearly had some mental health issues a few times; she was walking down Flower Avenue mumbling to herself, and yelled at me when I smiled at her and said hi (what I usually do when I encounter people on the street). I haven't seen her lately.

When I was there this morning, I saw one small patch of broken glass in the parking lot of a restaurant. I wasn't close enough to identify what kind of glass it was. There was no broken glass of any kind on the sidewalks, in the gutters, etc.

I did take some photos, which you can see at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skueppe...7622607967623/

My son was unenthused about this project, so I didn't get a picture of the south west corner of the intersection (contains a takeout place, a restaurant, a few small shops).

Half a block north of the intersection, there's a nice playground. I've never seen any broken glass, needles, etc. at the playground. A block north and half a block east, there's a recently renovated grocery store. A block north and a block east, there's a public library. Half a block south of the intersection, it's a residential neighborhood. A block north, it's also a residential neighborhood.

#45 of 60 Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 AM

Look, Takoma Park is a wonderful place and there are many good reasons to live there. I'd love to live there, as a matter of fact. However, instead, I chose a neighborhood with bigger yards, quieter streets, and good schools with plenty of crunchy amenties for my family. No, it is not Takoma Park, but it is not cookie-cutter death either.

No, I do not have a $600 stroller, nor am I a lover of home owners' associations. I do not want to live in a McMansion or a cookie-cutter neighborhood. Just because I did not chose TP does not mean that I am signing up for life driving a Hummer with a McCain-Palin sticker on the back. As a PP pointed out, the DC-Baltimore corridor is one of the most liberal in the country. In addition, the lines between cities and towns are totally blurry and it really comes off as one big city. You could easily live in Hyattsville or Kensington or Silver Spring, or hell, Laurel, and have liberal neighbors and a liberal attitude in the community. Some areas are more crunchy than others, but all in all, this is a nice area to live for those of us who value crunchiness. There are several places in the DC Metro area where you can find crunchy people and have CSAs and go to farmer's markets. (Many of them have been mentioned in this thread.)

TP does have some serious disadvantages--one of which is the price of housing (check it out for yourself, don't take my word for it! Incidentally, that $1900 rent sounds like quite the peach of a deal!), one is the recent increase in property crime (check it out for yourself!), and the higher COL than in other crunchy areas. Ask the police department about the increase in MS13 signs in the parks and if it is safe to walk Sligo Creek alone with children.

You've been given the names of several nice, crunchy or crunchy-leaning neighborhoods. TP is not the only answer, especially for a family in the income bracket you mentioned. (A good real estate agent can help you with these questions. Meg Finn with Long and Foster is the one who seems to do most of the TP business. Call her up as a potential buyer and ask her the hard questions! See what you can really afford.)

Best of luck to you in choosing a neighborhood that is right for your family.

#46 of 60 Old 11-05-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Sugarlumpkin, I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing and dismissing these other places, Kensington, Rockville, etc. I have no license to do that, since I've never been to any of these places. It's great to hear that where you are is not a "cookie-cutter" suburb, and I'm bookmarking rental possibilities in all of these places, using the crimereports website as a guide.

Skueppers, thanks so much for those pictures. The neighborhood looks great, to me. Nothing like good old Schenectady, NY. :-)

Thus far, my only experience living on the east coast was in upstate NY, where people tended not to be too image-conscious, but where there were also very few home schoolers, very few natural foods stores, etc. And people tell you things about the DC area, like, that people are really image-conscious and always striving to move up the corporate and/or social ladder, or that people are rude. But honestly, it's such a populous and diverse area, that I'm feeling pretty reassured at this point, especially reading the posts in this thread, that we won't have trouble making friends or locating resources that we consider important. It looks like Montgomery County has pretty much everything we will need: Metro, farmer's markets, co-ops, TJ's (it's been forever since I've lived near Trader Joe's! Hooray!!!!), good schools, potential friends, nice parks... Now it's just a matter of hunting down the perfect place.
#47 of 60 Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Please keep us updated on what you discover and where you end up. My family and I might possibly be moving there next summer. When DH finishes grad school. My biggest concern is schools. My kids had been homeschooled until last year they started at a montessori. It seems like private schools in the DC metro area might be out of our range...
#48 of 60 Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Will do. Schools are a big concern for us, too. We decided it would really be good for us to be in a house rather than an apartment or condo, and we aren't finding Takoma Park houses for rent in our price range, so we've shifted a bit and are looking at a handful of places in Silver Spring and Rockville now. My husband has scheduled to look at a place in Rockville on Sunday.
#49 of 60 Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 PM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#50 of 60 Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

My husband has been living with an uncle in Alexandria as he's started this job, and he really likes some of the neighborhoods there.

He observed, as he's been taking the metro to and from work, that the red line that goes up to Montgomery County was always really crowded. And he did look at a few townhouses and single family homes in Rockville and Montgomery Village / Gaithersburg, but the houses within our budget were a tad on the old/crumbly side, and we put in an application for a townhouse, but someone else beat us and put theirs in first and it went to them.

So we started looking in other areas and ended up signing, this weekend, on a townhouse in Arlington. It doesn't look like they've got a co-op, which is a bummer, but they do have a year-round farmers' market. We just couldn't afford the nice part of Takoma Park, and couldn't find anything within our budget in Silver Spring or Rockville, either. But I think this will be a good place for us to save up a down payment for our own place in a year or two. This is just $1300/month with utilities included.

If anybody knows of crunchy resources in or around Arlington, I'd love to hear about them. Or if anybody's been to the farmers' market there, I'd love to hear what it's like.

Thank you for everyone's help, again. It is really appreciated.
#51 of 60 Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM

What did you decide about the schools? Are you planning to go with the local public one?
#52 of 60 Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

We are planning to send our daughter to the local public school, yeah. It looks decent. I'll go visit and check things out IRL, and if things look good, then I'll enroll her to start, and we'll see how things progress.

It seems strange that we're ending up in Arlington after all the planning and trying to move to Montgomery County. I'm fighting slight disappointment with the knowledge that this will just be temporary, and it's okay if we don't love Arlington...because we do want to BUY and not just be renting indefinitely.

And if we decide the school is lousy, I'll pull her out and we'll homeschool, or I s'pose there's a small chance of some cool charter school option, who knows.
#53 of 60 Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 AM

I don't know how old your daughter is, but think that you'll find renting for a while and exploring the way to go (before school decisions have to be made). I've been a DC area native all my life and have moved around from MD to VA and back. Neighborhoods vary a lot, and they all have their benefits and drawbacks. It's nice to take a breather and just get to know the area.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here.
#54 of 60 Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Hello -

I read your response to an earlier posting and wanted to followup. My partner and I are planning a move to Silver Spring, MD in April. We want to rent a home in a great school district and friendly community the first year with plans to purchase. We have a 4 1/2 yr old son, so parks and other kids are important to our family. What is your neighborhood and do you know of any homes for rent? We are a lesbian couple, so we want to make sure the commuity is accepting. Thanks.
#55 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrenea View Post
Hello -

I read your response to an earlier posting and wanted to followup. My partner and I are planning a move to Silver Spring, MD in April. We want to rent a home in a great school district and friendly community the first year with plans to purchase. We have a 4 1/2 yr old son, so parks and other kids are important to our family. What is your neighborhood and do you know of any homes for rent? We are a lesbian couple, so we want to make sure the commuity is accepting. Thanks.
most of the D.C. area is pretty libreal and yuo'll meet other same sex couples nad families. i don't think you would have issues most places around here. maybe farther out west or east in md, or southern in va you would find some closed minded people, but most folks in the d.c. area are really liberal. in D.C. they are most likely going to start having same sex marriages in the next few months.
#56 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 PM

actually, they have an article int he washingtonpost today that says that maryland is going to start recognizing same sex marriages done out of state, and d.c. is going to start performing them in a matter of days.
so, i guess, you could get married in d.c. and live in md as a married couple.
#57 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM

We moved from New Mexico to the Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria last year, and now are facing a move to the Maryland side of things this summer.

Does anybody out there actually live in PG county? Is it worth looking into or just skip to Montgomery for the schools?

Sad to leave Del Ray, I second that it is a lovely place to be with small kiddos. We moved in and found an instant community of other families here.

Thanks for all the great info!
#58 of 60 Old 02-28-2010, 03:34 PM

I guess it depends a lot what you are looking for. My dh and I lived in PG County for 7 years. It was a great place for a young couple with not a lot of money to buy a house. We lived in Laurel, so it was close to every thing (walking distance to grocery store, several bars/restaurants and driving distance to DC (or public transport to) and Baltimore. The public schools, for elementary at least, are similar to Montgomery County. There was a Montessori school close by.

However, we recently sold our house and chose to leave PG County in favor of Anne Arundel County. (We looked into Takoma Park but the houses in the good neighborhoods are SO EXPENSIVE we were priced out.) Now that we have a child we have different priorities. AA County has excellent schools, farmer's markets, the water, lots of amenities, plus great public parks! I live in a neighborhood that is great for walking, but can no longer walk to grocery stores/night life. But you know what? I don't care so much. Our neighborhood is quiet and peaceful and I can walk to the water.

#59 of 60 Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#60 of 60 Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbuquerqueMama View Post
Does anybody out there actually live in PG county? Is it worth looking into or just skip to Montgomery for the schools?
I know people who live in PG county, but none of them send their kids to the public schools. They either send them to private school, or homeschool.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page