Mothering Forum banner

Schooling options in the DC area???

583 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Contented73 
#1 ·
Hello,

It is looking like DC will be where we move next summer. I am worried about schooling options for my kids and would appreciate any input.

We homeschooled until the oldest was 9 years old. Then we moved up north and found a great affordable Montessori school. The kids are half-way on their second year in Montessori. They are currently 10, 8 and 5 years old. I would love to continue with Montessori or something similar, but it seems like an unaffordable option in the DC metro area. We might be able to afford $5,000 a year per kid, but that would be pushing it. If there is a Montessori school that offers good scholarships that would be great.

Also, there is the idea of homeschooling again which I am 50/50 about. I did enjoy homeschooling in many ways. But my kids tend to get bored with each other and want to fight which makes me upset. I am sure we would find lots of cool things to do in the area, but since the cost of living is so high we would probably have a small home. Which state is better for homeschooling VA or MD? Does anyone know of any co-ops or classes or other activities in the area for homeschooling? If we homeschooled I would love to find a co-op or something that met at least weekly if not more.

I have heard alot of good stuff about Fairfax public schools. I am not sure how well they would adapt to a large school experience with more rules and structure than they ever had. Also, I am worried they may be behind in some areas which would make it harder for them. Anyone have any ideas about any of the public school systems in the area?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Julie

See less See more
#2 ·
I will offer this, Prince George's County Public Schools in Maryland have three public Montessori schools: John Hanson, Robert Goddard, and Judith Hoyer. You can look up the schools from the county website: http://schools.pgcps.org/
PG county schools get a lot of bad rap, but I would absolutely consider sending my child to these schools. (As a side note, I grew up homeschooled.) I have personal information about one of the schools. PM me for more information.

#3 ·
Wow, a free montessori school sounds great. i would love more info about the public montessoris. Does anyone know if these have waiting list or how do you get into one of them? Also, what are the vax laws like in MD and VA? My kids are vax free.

Thanks!

#4 ·
My kids go to this school: www.cfmschool.org. It is a wonderful school, and one of the cheapest montessori schools in the area. Also a bonus that it feeds into the pg county public montessori schools.

There is also a huge homeschool community in nearby Hyattsville, MD. It is very much a Catholic-based group though, so you would have to be open to that perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.