Does anyone know of a doctor in Hagerstown that accepts nonvaxing patients? - Mothering Forums
Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware > Does anyone know of a doctor in Hagerstown that accepts nonvaxing patients?
PhilsBabyMama's Avatar PhilsBabyMama 06:51 PM 01-07-2010
We have been getting seen at Fort Detrick, but since they are overwhelmed there and we live in Hagerstown we got switched to a private practice. I'm getting a bad vibe from them and would like to switch providers again. Does anyone know of a family practice or pediatrician that accepts nonvaxed children as patients? My son is 2, still nursing and intact, so it would be great if they were supportive of those things, too.

Thanks!
Kara

JBaxter's Avatar JBaxter 09:39 PM 01-10-2010
Yes I do.
Hagerstown Pediatrics
Shafaat Khan, MD
Suite 2
235 Mill Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
phone: 301-733-9335
fax: 301-733-4191
http://www.washingtoncountyhospital....r.asp?NAME=377
Its who most of the moms in my food coop use. Most are home schooling and non vaxing.

He will recommend them but sees children reguardless of vax status. He also has hospital privileges.

We selectivly vaccinate and see another practice who didnt kick us out yet
PhilsBabyMama's Avatar PhilsBabyMama 03:41 AM 01-12-2010
Oh, awesome! Thanks! I hope they accept Tricare! I'll give the office a call tomorrow!
MamaVolpe's Avatar MamaVolpe 05:23 PM 01-12-2010
I see Tracey Galloway MS, CRNP in Boonsboro with South Monutain Women's Health Center. She sees children and women and my husband goes to the dr that oversees her practice that is located downstairs from her office. She is great! She is pro co-sleeping, breastfeeding, is supportive of non-vaxers and homebirthers. She even suscribes to Mothering Mag. I also love that it is a very small practice and you don't sit around in a waiting room forever before you get to see her. She is at 9 St Paul St, 2nd floor, Boonsboro. You can google her website if you want to check out more.
JBaxter's Avatar JBaxter 05:36 PM 01-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaVolpe View Post
I see Tracey Galloway MS, CRNP in Boonsboro with South Monutain Women's Health Center. She sees children and women and my husband goes to the dr that oversees her practice that is located downstairs from her office. She is great! She is pro co-sleeping, breastfeeding, is supportive of non-vaxers and homebirthers. She even suscribes to Mothering Mag. I also love that it is a very small practice and you don't sit around in a waiting room forever before you get to see her. She is at 9 St Paul St, 2nd floor, Boonsboro. You can google her website if you want to check out more.

Just curious because I called there once and was going to schedule an appt ( before DS4 was born) The receptionist I talked with and asked questions to didnt sound like she was "that into" non vaxing but would do delayed schedule. Maybe I got the wrong vibe
Also does she have hospital privelages? What happens if you/yourchild ends up in the ER will she come?
PhilsBabyMama's Avatar PhilsBabyMama 06:12 PM 01-12-2010
Woo hoo! I am so relieved! I just called Dr. Khan's office and they take Tricare Prime! Not only that, but I was able to make Maddox's 2 year well appointment for next week!
The other office said we had to come in and do a "new patient visit" before we could even schedule a well check, and we couldn't even get in there for that until February 16th! I also got a strange reaction when I told them we don't vaccinate, so I felt like I'd probably wait for the appointment, spend the time going in, just to be told they wouldn't take us on as patients.
Dr. Kahn's receptionist said to bring Maddox's shot records and when I told her we don't vaccinate she just said "Ok, well then just bring your Military ID." I have no problem exercising my rights, but it is so nice to know I won't HAVE to fight with anyone when I take my son to the doctor!

Thanks again!
JBaxter's Avatar JBaxter 08:21 PM 01-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsBabyMama View Post
Woo hoo! I am so relieved! I just called Dr. Khan's office and they take Tricare Prime! Not only that, but I was able to make Maddox's 2 year well appointment for next week!
The other office said we had to come in and do a "new patient visit" before we could even schedule a well check, and we couldn't even get in there for that until February 16th! I also got a strange reaction when I told them we don't vaccinate, so I felt like I'd probably wait for the appointment, spend the time going in, just to be told they wouldn't take us on as patients.
Dr. Kahn's receptionist said to bring Maddox's shot records and when I told her we don't vaccinate she just said "Ok, well then just bring your Military ID." I have no problem exercising my rights, but it is so nice to know I won't HAVE to fight with anyone when I take my son to the doctor!

Thanks again!
His receptionist used to be his wife dont know if it still is. He is a single practice doctor so if you call at night/after hours you will get a call back from him. I just had a discussion with a friend in my play group about her 5 month old who sees him. She is very happy with how she is treated she is doing her own schedule w/ only one vaccine per visit and waiting on the more reactive vaccines. He will suggest them but just say... remember we arnt vaccinating he will then tell you which ones he thinks are important ending with your the parent and its ultimately your decision... ( have heard that from several mommas that go there). Good luck hope it works for you.
Up