recommend your doula for Maryland - Mothering Forums
Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware > recommend your doula for Maryland
thegreenbeagle's Avatar thegreenbeagle 07:44 PM 03-06-2010
I did a search and though some old threads came up, nothing too recent.

jasper28's Avatar jasper28 08:11 PM 03-06-2010
Can I recommend myself, Bethany Thomas?? I am a DONA certified doula who has attended births at AAMC, Mercy, Sinai and GBMC.

I also recommend Chesapeake Birth Companions who graciously let me shadow with them last summer
Wisteriacow's Avatar Wisteriacow 12:14 AM 03-07-2010
MegBoz's Avatar MegBoz 12:31 PM 03-08-2010
Jessica Groves!
www.trustingourbodies.com
Also a Bradley teacher & MW apprentice! She's douled lots of HBs, births at Special Beginnings, and hospitals as well. She was my doula for my birth at Upper Chesapeake Hospital. HIGHLY recommend!
meganalexs's Avatar meganalexs 08:39 PM 03-08-2010
Claudia Booker - Birthing Hands of DC - is WONDERFUL!
She is out of DC, but works in MD & VA too.
She is DONA and ICTC certified, also works as a mid-wife assistant, is a CAPPA certified educator, etc...
Her fee was more expensive than the other doulas from Baltimore that we interviewed, but from our initial meeting we were both ready to work with her.
She attended our son's birth at Mercy in September and is also studying to be a mid-wife.
Her Web site is: http://www.birthinghandsdc.com/
Let me know if you have any other questions...
radiowave's Avatar radiowave 01:42 AM 03-09-2010
Mamabeakley's Avatar Mamabeakley 06:55 PM 03-09-2010
Where are you located? I am a doula & will recommend myself (see my sig!)- but MD is a big state & I don't cover all of it!
1of2moms's Avatar 1of2moms 08:54 PM 03-09-2010
I recommend Tina Overton (Eldersburg, MD) as a doula and a Bradley instructor. I believe that her policy is to only work as a doula for the students who are part of her classes because she has a strong belief in the importance of building a personal relationship with her birth clients. Thanks to Tina's Bradley classes and doula services, my partner and I had the natural childbirth experience that we wanted.
Tina's website is: http://www.birthlilly.com
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 09:02 PM 03-09-2010
Quote:
Jessica Groves!
Also a Bradley teacher & MW apprentice! She's douled lots of HBs, births at Special Beginnings, and hospitals as well. She was my doula for my birth at Upper Chesapeake Hospital. HIGHLY recommend!
:

She was the best part of my last birth (hb), and I wish I had hired her for my other two.
mrsbub's Avatar mrsbub 03:38 PM 03-11-2010
Kelly Carlstrom! Love her!

www.designedtobirth.com
cali4niachef's Avatar cali4niachef 09:02 PM 03-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Jessica Groves!

Jessica rocks! Im a doula too and I think she is terrific
BirthWithFaith's Avatar BirthWithFaith 12:14 AM 03-15-2010
lisalu100's Avatar lisalu100 12:26 AM 03-16-2010
Another vote for Jessica
cheryllgilman's Avatar cheryllgilman 10:26 AM 03-16-2010
Giving doula support to women and their families in the MD/DC/NoVA area for 11 years I have attended births at Special Beginnings, Bay Area birth Center, AAMC, Calvert, Mercy, St. Agnes, GWU, SIbley, WHC, Shady Grove, Holy Cross, VHC, Alexandria and Loudon Co INOVA. Of course I also attend homebirth. I will go anywhere within 60 mile radius of Annapolis, MD. Contact me directly for references: www.discoverdoulas.com
mostly jays's Avatar mostly jays 09:17 AM 04-23-2010
I'd recommend most Doula's I know. While there isn't ONE doula for everyone, interviewing them is certainly a great idea. I am also a birth doula and would like to put my name out there. Ludia Sarmast, serving Baltimore, Annapolis, Washington DC and surrounding areas. www.birthwisdom.net
BirthWithFaith's Avatar BirthWithFaith 09:37 PM 04-26-2010

Let me also recommend Deanna Kopf at [email protected]. She has been working for a nurse-midwife for 2 years and serves women in the home, birth center and area hospitals. She has given birth 3 times herself and had a "painless" childbirth experience with her 3rd at home using Hypnobabies. She is also trained as a HypnoDoula and is studying to be a midwife. And now works for another nurse-midwife as a birth assistant.  She's studying to become a midwife.

briome's Avatar briome 10:11 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of2moms View Post
I recommend Tina Overton (Eldersburg, MD) as a doula and a Bradley instructor.
Tina's website is: http://www.birthlilly.com
Agreed she was my MW's assistant so I didn't hire her as my doula but I can see the people skills and knowledge!
bedheadmaestro's Avatar bedheadmaestro 10:24 PM 04-26-2010
I'm new to the doula world, studying my Hypno-Doula workbook while waiting for DONA class in June. I'm also planning on offering birth photography to my future clients. I am in Linthicum and plan on serving the Baltimore, DC and NOVA areas (not north of Baltimore and not south of Alexandria). I'm looking for 'volunteers' who don't mind being doula'd by a newbie (for free) in order to finish my DONA certification. It's daunting because everyone listed above has a great reputation and it seems like they've already got it covered! So just letting you know I'm out there and I can't wait to get started. And my brand new and empty website is www.bedheadbirth.com
lizsky's Avatar lizsky 10:30 PM 04-27-2010
Bobbie Humphrey was my doula for my 1st birth last month and she was wonderful.
apelilae's Avatar apelilae 01:42 AM 04-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsky View Post
Bobbie Humphrey was my doula for my 1st birth last month and she was wonderful.
She was wonderful at our birth. Tina is simply amazing too.

In Western MD, Christine Meyers is who I'd go with.
Shell's Avatar Shell 09:34 AM 05-01-2010
I will "second" Ludia Sarmast of Birth Wisdom. I took her Hypnobabies course and loved her so much (as did my husband) that we hired her as our doula. We absolutely adore her and her knowledge of all things birth-related is deep! She is a beautiful person and an amazing doula. www.birthwisdom.net
Kairos Doulas 04:50 PM 07-05-2014
I would be honored to serve as your birth doula! Check out my website and facebook page:
Allison Harris NCTMB,LMT,CD
Kairos Holistic Healing Arts Birth Support Services
www.kairosdoulas.com
Serving Maryland, Washington D.C., and No. Va.
Former doula program coordinator, Holy Cross Hospital
Over 900 births attended
Up