Looking for a delayed vax friendly pediatrician in Baltimore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been taking my newborn daughter to Pavillion Pediatrics at Greenspring Station since her birth 3 1/2 weeks ago. They have not been very helpful in regard to my wanting to delay portions of their recommended vaccination schedule. Also they are only giving me the option of giving her multi-dose vaccinations of 3-5 (or more) in fewer shots rather than splitting those up over a later or more extended period of time.

I have met with a few other pediatricians (Pediatric Partners in Towson and Maryland Pediatric Group in Lutherville, to name a few) who have given the same response in regard to my wanting to post-pone vaccinations for my infant.

The rational I've been given every time is that it is more convenient to give the shots all at once rather than to make additional doctor's visits for each. This is not a good enough reason for me as I am willing to make separate visits for each and every vaccination I have to get for my daughter rather than to over-expose her undeveloped immune system to too much at one time.

My question is does anyone know of a good pediatrician in the Baltimore area that would be willing to work with me regarding my delayed vaccination preferences for my infant? Also, does anyone know of a pediatrician in the area that offers parents the option to give either multi-dose OR single-dose vaccinations if they prefer to split the inoculations up over several months time rather than administering them all at once? Meaning that I would want to have the DTaP, Hib, PCV, IPV, and RV split into separate shots that are given at different times.

Any assistance that anyone on this forum could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help! ~ Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Dr. Kenneth Tellerman at the Rotunda in the city is very good. We have been taking our son to him since he was born 7 months ago. He is willing to space vaccines out which is what we've been doing. Though as far as combo vacc go, he only orders them as combos. He says he no longer purchases the separate ones because he didn't have enough demand and was wasting money on the rest of the box of shots. He told us if we can find and purchase them separated in individual quantities he will administer them. It is a small practice, just him and a nurse. They are both great with children, caring, good at answering questions. When our son was sick briefly as a newborn he called us several times to check on him. He has phone in office hours every morning so you can always speak to him if you call during that time. He also has a pediatric nurse practitioner who sees his adolescent girl patients if they want. We really like him and have recommended a friend to him and they like him as well - she drives in from Catonsville to see him. If you have other questions or want more info please pm me, - I'd be happy to tell you more/answer any questions - and I can give you my name so you can tell him I recommended him if you want.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

I am 36 weeks pregnant, so I haven't had my baby yet, but I am looking for the same. I too met with a doctor at Pediatric Partners in Towson and didn't feel like it would be the best place for us. It seemed like they would begrudgingly let us use a delayed schedule, but I felt like we'd meet with a lot of resistance if we went with them.

UPDATE:

I had a GREAT talk with Dr. Tellerman today. He seems very willing to work with us on coming up with a vaccination schedule that we are all comfortable with. He specifically said it would be no problem to schedule vaccinations in between checkups, so I definitely don't think you have to worry about being told that "it's more convenient to give all the shots at once."
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm so sorry you had that experience! We have had nothing but good experiences with Dr. Tellerman, as have a friend and her daughter. I hope you find out that there was a good reason for last night - I can certainly understand your frustration. I would still urge you or anybody to give him another try.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM

My kids are selectively vaxed, and we have religious exemption. We're moving to Baltimore area, and I'm worried about finding a doctor who is flexible about vaccines. I don't have to have a pediatrician; a family doc will do.

We've been kicked out of two pediatric practices because of our vaccine choices. But kids get sick, and I want a good doctor to take them to.

Anyone know a pediatrician/family practice doc in the Baltimore area who is at least open minded on vaccines?

I can't take getting kicked out of a pediatric practice again. I'm such a conscientious, health-centric mom, and it kills me to be treated like an irresponsible parent because I won't follow the CDC schedule for vaccinating my kids.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganalexs View Post
Kenneth Tellerman at the Rotunda in the city is very good. His phone number is 410-243-8632. We have been taking our son to him since he was born 7 months ago. He is willing to space vaccines out which is what we've been doing. Though as far as combo vacc go, he only orders them as combos. He says he no longer purchases the separate ones because he didn't have enough demand and was wasting money on the rest of the box of shots. He told us if we can find and purchase them separated in individual quantities he will administer them. It is a small practice, just him and a nurse. They are both great with children, caring, good at answering questions. When our son was sick briefly as a newborn he called us several times to check on him. He has phone in office hours every morning so you can always speak to him if you call during that time. He also has a pediatric nurse practitioner who sees his adolescent girl patients if they want. We really like him and have recommended a friend to him and they like him as well - she drives in from Catonsville to see him. If you have other questions or want more info please pm me, - I'd be happy to tell you more/answer any questions - and I can give you my name so you can tell him I recommended him if you want.
Thx for the info, Megan. I PMed you...appreciate your help! ~ Casey
Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We don't vaccinate and we used Dr Susan Prevas at St Joe's when we lived in Maryland. She was always good about our crunchy weirdness and supported me nursing the kids for years rather than months.

I'm not going to post her number on the thread but I am willing to PM it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 AM

We see Dr. Tellerman, too. We have found him to be incredibly responsive to our first-time parent worry calls. When we had DD the nurses at St. Joe's were shocked that he actually called them back to speak to them personally about the delivery and how DD was doing. They told us that they could not remember this happening before. He was there checking out DD within hours of her birth, too, and came back the next day.

We also do delayed vax. A few times, due to travel and other circumstances, he's even suggested delaying. And, as PP mentioned, he will split vax when it's possible.

Other than his very calming influence on a new-time mama, my favorite thing about him is how much he loves kids. We've seen him in public a few times and he is always zeroed in on the children that are his patients (and depending where you are this is quite a handful!). He is nice and all to DH and I but he is super great with our DD which is what really matters to me in the long run.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM

I understand not wanting to post the names of vax-friendly docs on a public forum. I'm sure no doc wants to get harassed for being flexible and thoughtful.

But please, please PM me with names of peds and family practitioners in the Baltimore area (I don't care where, I just want someone who won't question my choices) who are accepting of non- and partially-vaxed kids.

My kids are past the well-baby stage, but they still get sick with viruses and ear infections, and I need a decent doctor to take them to.

It seems that MD is pretty unfriendly to non-vaxing families. Or maybe the docs are hiding underground. I've found only one name so far. I was hoping to have a choice, esp. if that doc doesn't take my insurance.

TIA.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

we ended up going with dr. tellerman at the rotunda. he has been very patient and kind, exactly what we were looking for. it is a small practice but the front office receptionist and nurse, harriet, were both really nice and helpful. thank you for the great recommendation.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Check out Dr. Yamcek at North Parkville. We don't do any vaxes and haven't been booted, although she does ask every time we go and we usually have a very respectful and short discussion. DS is almost 2. We never went to all of the well baby visits since they are just tied to the vax schedule anyhow, and never got any grief for it. If you have a DS, she might try and retract though, so mention it before hand. Otherwise, very pleasant experience there. Good luck.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Bay Area has a facebook page, and many of our moms chat on the site. I know some of them are doing selective vax if you want to check it out.There is also a discussion section.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 PM

We love Dr. Alicia Morgan-Cooper. She's been very supportive of our choices and helpful in making informed decisions. I posted her number in another similar thread here.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is Dr. Tellerman ok with non-vaxing families?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM

I am 29 weeks pregnant and trying to find some pediatricians that are okay with non-vaccinated children in the baltimore county area. Please Help and PM if you know of doctors names and numbers I can call.

-Gwen

Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Hmm...good to know. We actually take our older daughter to Pavillion Pediatrics, and the doctor we see has never given us trouble with the fact that we've done selective/delayed vaxing. Granted, we moved to MD when our daughter was 2, so she'd already finished the series on most of the infant vaxs (though it took us that long to do them...). But I got no resistance at her recent 4 yo checkup when we opted for 1 vax (instead of the 4 they ordinarily give at that checkup), the fact that we said we'd do the others individually at later appointments, or that there were a few  we simply won't do at this juncture.

Were you able to speak with individual doctors, or was this the general practice policy? We're expecting another little one this summer, and it didn't even occur to me we might need to go looking for a new pediatrician...I'm glad for the head's up, but sort of bummed that I may have to add this to my to do list. :(

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuffell View Post

We love Dr. Alicia Morgan-Cooper. She's been very supportive of our choices and helpful in making informed decisions. I posted her number in another similar thread here.. 

I second this suggestion. Dr. Morgan-Cooper has been very supportive and knowledgeable about all of our NLF choices

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveless View Post

It seems that MD is pretty unfriendly to non-vaxing families. Or maybe the docs are hiding underground. I've found only one name so far. I was hoping to have a choice, esp. if that doc doesn't take my insurance.

I've lived in a crunchy CA town and in a university town in Germany before moving to MD. I have found my choices embraced her in MD quite comfortably. IME, Maryland folks are busy working on a huge variety of activism and are generally really "live and let live".  I hope you find the same - welcome!!  

Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

I have been kicked out of 2 practices for non vax only and would appreciate a pm with suggestions. My experience in MD is that it is very unfriendly to the non vax.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM

FYI, if you're new to town, Dr. Tellerman's office doesn't typically take new patients that are over 2 years old, which is unfortunate.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM

We followed a delayed schedule and see Dr. Morgan-Cooper. She's wonderful.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Non vaccinators are exposing their children to dangerous pathogens

I am a mother of a 4 month old who cried a lot and fussed all night after getting his routine vaccines. But this thread alarms me.

Non-Vaccinators: You are exposing your babies to dangerous pathogens, as well as the general community. You shouldn't live in a densely populated area like Maryland (one where countless people travel internationally and are exposed to many illnesses) if you choose not to vaccinate. Babies are exposed to hundreds of pathogens every day and it's stupid not to take a simple and free step to protect them against those that can kill.

Would you protect your child against Ebola if you could? Well, there are diseases that are common in the United States that can cause as much pain and suffering to babies, like Hib meningitis, whooping cough, and countless others.

There is also no reason to delay vaccination, since again, babies are exposed to hundreds of infectious agents every day. Just be smart and protect your children.

-Mom of 4 month old patient of Dr. Tellerman
Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 PM

Hi, Mominbaltimore and welcome to Mothering! I think you will find that the spectrum of vax-delayed and non-vax families in our area to be pretty huge. Delayed vax families range from families who choose to delay birth vaccinations for things like Hep B to families who choose to spread individual vaccines out but who are not especially behind the recommended schedule. Many delayed vaccine families are caught up on the required vaccines by the time children start school. Others take much longer and choose to decline some or even many vaccines. Of course some families choose to not vaccinate at all. I live in the Baltimore area and know many mainstream parents who choose to deviate slightly from recommended vaccine schedule, all for personally valid reasons. If you're curious why someone may choose to deviate from the schedule, I'm sure your doctor can explain some of some of the rational for that choice.

Last edited by IdentityCrisisMama; 08-23-2014 at 09:00 PM.

User Tag List