Playgroups/moms groups in Baltimore County? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any playgroups or mom's groups in Baltimore county? We are new to the area and live in Halethorpe. Unfortunately, my husband and I share a vehicle so that restricts our involvement. I have tried Meet-up, but the few groups I have petitioned to join have not responded to me. It doesn't look like the LLL is very close to us at all and I am not seeing an attachment parents group in the area either.

Help! My 2.5 year old is driving me crazy (not really, but I would like to find him some friends).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM

I'm a part of a great moms group in Baltimore County! We meet every other Tuesday in Catonsville and then have trips planned all over the place weekly!

There are other moms in Haletorpe/Arbutus, so I am sure you could also work out transportation with one of them!!

We have a meet up page to keep track of all of the events - http://www.meetup.com/more-than-moms

Let me know if you have any questions!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I requested to join. Can't wait to meet some other moms!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM

You might want to check out baltap too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baltap/. It's a very active attachment parenting group in Baltimore County.

I live in Halethorpe as well so I'm going to check out the Catonsville meetup group. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm122 View Post
You might want to check out baltap too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baltap/. It's a very active attachment parenting group in Baltimore County.

I live in Halethorpe as well so I'm going to check out the Catonsville meetup group. Thanks!
It's funny you post that because before I posted this I 'joined' that group, but in the past I haven't had much luck finding active yahoo groups so I didn't have too high hopes.

I'm hoping to meet some friends soon.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 AM

have you tried www.baltimoremommies.com ?

Mama to Jocelyn 3/04-5/04, Lucy 3/05, Nate 1/07, Tessa 5/09 , Mae 11/11, Due 11/15!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 PM

There's a baltimore natural mothering group on yahoo as well.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM

There is also NAP http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NAP-MD/

That is central maryland, so I am not sure where the boundaries are

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM

I like reading Baltap, but I live in Arbutus too, and the playgroups tend to be about a 30 min drive north, which is too far away. Same with NAP. I'm about to join More Than Moms too, which is more local. Maybe we'll see a couple of you there!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I just moved to Halethorpe!  I thought I was alone in my thinking/ living but apparently not!  I'll check out the groups and hope to find some mommas and kiddos!

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

I'm a part of a great moms group in Baltimore County! We meet every other Tuesday in Catonsville and then have trips planned all over the place weekly!

There are other moms in Haletorpe/Arbutus, so I am sure you could also work out transportation with one of them!!

We have a meet up page to keep track of all of the events - http://www.meetup.com/more-than-moms

Let me know if you have any questions!

This one looks fun! It says you guys are getting non-profit status too? I used to work in the Development/Fundraising office of a non profit kid's center.  Is this group for expecting Mamas too?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryamour View Post

This one looks fun! It says you guys are getting non-profit status too? I used to work in the Development/Fundraising office of a non profit kid's center.  Is this group for expecting Mamas too?

Yes, they're getting non-profit status so they can do all kinds of other things in the community.  Expecting moms would be more than welcome to come hang out and meet moms.  There are mom's nights out events as well as the book club which are more adult focused, and then there are the play groups and play dates that are more kid focused.  If you sign up with meetup Vanessa will get you all the info you need smile.gif

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM

When I first moved to Baltimore I found BaltimoreMommies.com - it has an online forum (like here) but lots of events too. I've met some great friends on there but the moms I connected most with live pretty far from me. I'll have to check out the other suggestions too.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 PM

I just applied to join those Yahoo groups. Is BaltimoreMommies a mainstream site? After the past several years APing, I don't really "do" any mainstream parenting sites/groups.

We're in Cockeysville, if anyone else is nearby!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

I just applied to join those Yahoo groups. Is BaltimoreMommies a mainstream site? After the past several years APing, I don't really "do" any mainstream parenting sites/groups.

Yes, I believe it is (based on the 2 people I know who said they were involved in it & they were very mainstream.)
I TOTALLY know what you mean about mainstream groups & sites.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

It is, but they have a natural parenting forum. I have also found it to be more tolerant than say other boards. Like there are a lot of members who don't do CIO, cloth diaper and who babywear, nurse beyond one year, etc, but there aren't any debates or drama between those who do or don't.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 PM

That sounds really cool. I love the book club idea too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

Yes, they're getting non-profit status so they can do all kinds of other things in the community.  Expecting moms would be more than welcome to come hang out and meet moms.  There are mom's nights out events as well as the book club which are more adult focused, and then there are the play groups and play dates that are more kid focused.  If you sign up with meetup Vanessa will get you all the info you need smile.gif

Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

Yes, I believe it is (based on the 2 people I know who said they were involved in it & they were very mainstream.)
I TOTALLY know what you mean about mainstream groups & sites.

Okay, cool...I don't mean to sound snotty about it, I am just NOT comfortable whatsoever around people who discipline by smacking their kids and things like that...not that all parents who call themselves AP are necessarily good parents, but you know what I mean...I like being around people who parent in a similar way to us and in an environment that I feel is healthy...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

User Tag List