midwives - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I previously had a CS and am looking for a midwife. Does anyone have suggestions and I am also looking for a hospital will support my decision for a VBAC..... is there such a thing
#2 of 21 Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Have you contacted ICAN of Baltimore or ICAN of DC for help locating midwives and hospitals? They would be very helpful with information

I have my first appointment in June with Midwifery Care Associates that work out of Shady Grove. I made the decision after meeting a few people recently who had good VBAC experiences with them. There is also Mercy hospital and Maryland General in Baltimore who have midwives in the hospital and support VBAC.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Welcome to MDC Nicole! Glad you found your way here

There are also lots of recent threads about VBACs, if you go through some old ones you may get some info on your hospital VBAC questions.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
#4 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Either Bay Area or Special Beginnings will do VBACs at AAMC.

I had a great experience with Bay Area, despite the fact that I had to transfer to AAMC for a c-section thanks to a footling breech baby. I was impressed with AAMC and the way the nurses treated me and my baby. They were MUCH more polite than my experience at Howard County.

Good Luck with your decision!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#5 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Personally, I don't recommend special beginnings for mothers wishing to have a VBAC. Sorry to be blunt and outspoken on a board but there are much better options than SB for VBAC and Annapolis OBGYN is very surgical happy with VBAC patients, speaking from experience...

I don't have much experience with Bay Area, except that we didn't agree on my VBA2C and Annapolis OBGYN is still the backup. But I know a few friends who've had good non-vbac births with them.

You have lots of research in your future mama! Get in contact with ICAN, you'll need their resources!

Good luck!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#6 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

there are also homebirth midwives that will do VBAcs
xoxo
good luck!
#7 of 21 Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Correcting misinformation:

Special Beginnings has a successful VBAC rate of 80%.
Annapolis OBGYN does not provide consultation for Bay Area Midwifery, AAMC employed ob-gyn docs do.

IMHO:

Your best opportunity to allow labor and birth to occur naturally will be to do it wherever you feel the most comfortable, be that at home or in hospital, and with a provider that you trust. So talk to many and follow your heart/ gut!

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)
#8 of 21 Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=lunaliss;15414288]Correcting misinformation:

QUOTE]

I was told they do recommend being induced at 41 1/2 weeks by a current patient. Just FYI incase for whatever reason you tend to go late. I am sure you can refuse like you can anything else, but that is what they recommend.

#9 of 21 Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=lillymonster;15414596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaliss View Post
Correcting misinformation:

QUOTE]

I was told they do recommend being induced at 41 1/2 weeks by a current patient. Just FYI incase for whatever reason you tend to go late. I am sure you can refuse like you can anything else, but that is what they recommend.
I am wondering what else could be going on with that patient...A friend of mine went past 41 weeks with her 2 yr old and no one discussed induction.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#10 of 21 Old 05-17-2010, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=KatyLinda;15415355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

I am wondering what else could be going on with that patient...A friend of mine went past 41 weeks with her 2 yr old and no one discussed induction.
oh no, I am sorry I got it wrong - she said that she has to have her VBAC at AAMC and they "require" a scheduled c-section at 41 1/2 weeks. As far as I know, there are no health issues and she is not advanced maternal age. Sorry, no they are not induced, it's a scheduled c-section. Maybe things have changed in 2 years?

#11 of 21 Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

Hmm... I was told SB has a VBAC success rate of like 68% or something like that. That is what I was told by someone there when I asked.

I was a VBAC turned CBAC under special beginnings care. I don't recommend them for any mother attempting a VBAC. I will gladly share my experience off board if anyone wants.

Annapolis OB GYN does require a repeat c-section at 41 weeks (it may be and some odd days but 41 was what David told me). You can get around it but you have to really push. Mine was scheduled for 42w 1d and David was quite shocked because it's a week longer than they 'let' you go. However I told the OB what day it was being scheduled and said 'if it's before then, I'm not coming, just a forewarning'. He didn't fight me.

I was told by Bay Area that it was Annapolis OB GYN as the backup. I apologize if that was incorrect. Part of the reason I decided against going with them for my current pregnancy (aside from being told I would have to go into labor before 41.5 weeks and 'hope for the best' because they couldn't let me go any longer than that) was because of the back up choice. IME Annapolis OBGYN is very cut happy (not all of their OB's but you don't get to choose who is on call at the hospital when you're in labor) and not a good choice for a VBAC.

OP - You have a lot of choices... Do your research and interview LOTS! Check into the midwives at Maryland general. Midwifery Care Associates delivers at Shady Grove and they have a good VBAC success rate (I did a phone consult myself). My best advice is don't settle for a hospital or provider that is close. I did and I wish I had interviewed further, maybe then I wouldn't be planning a VBA2C. A lot of women travel for their VBAC's. Look not only at the provider, but the hospital as well (And IME AAMC is NOT VBAC friendly... The hospital itself). This is a big choice to make but by having many choices and listening to your heart and gut, you'll make the one that's best for YOU!

~ Fe ~
#12 of 21 Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM

I just had #3 with Bay Area Midwifery, and Jennifer (at BAM) told me about their new back-ups, the OB hospitalists at AAMC. After the switch, their VBAC success rate has gone up "a lot," she said.

Dr. Jasper, one of the hospitalists, is VERY VBAC friendly and she is very relaxed in her style, too---not jumpy to do interventions. As a side note, Jasper will also deliver a breech baby (not footling) for a multip, though not for a first-timer. Jennifer says she's a cowboy doc who does things her own way (she's a DO by training which may explain her trust in a woman's body).
#13 of 21 Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllofGrace View Post
I just had #3 with Bay Area Midwifery, and Jennifer (at BAM) told me about their new back-ups, the OB hospitalists at AAMC. After the switch, their VBAC success rate has gone up "a lot," she said.

Dr. Jasper, one of the hospitalists, is VERY VBAC friendly and she is very relaxed in her style, too---not jumpy to do interventions. As a side note, Jasper will also deliver a breech baby (not footling) for a multip, though not for a first-timer. Jennifer says she's a cowboy doc who does things her own way (she's a DO by training which may explain her trust in a woman's body).
Dr. Jasper delivered my DD and I was very impressed. I arrived at Bay Area 12 hours after my membranes ruptured at 3 cm and a footling breech baby. They sent me to the hospital, since there was no safe way of turning DD at that point. Dr. Jasper came in to check on me after the section and told me that by the time we got to the OR DD was trying to turn, and if she had been at that position for the ultrasound and she had been the decision maker, she would have allowed me to attempt a vaginal delivery.

She went on to tell me that there is zero reason for me to not have a VBAC. She answered all of the VBAC questions I had at that point and was very helpful. She is the only OB I ever met that I actually liked. I'd go see her again in a heartbeat.

#14 of 21 Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Dr. Jasper assisted my c-section with DD but I don't really remember her... LOL.

When did they make the switch away from Annapolis OB GYN? Maybe it's just that my information is old... LOL. I interviewed Bay Area in spring 2008 when I was pregnant wtih DD.

~ Fe ~
#15 of 21 Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
Dr. Jasper assisted my c-section with DD but I don't really remember her... LOL.

When did they make the switch away from Annapolis OB GYN? Maybe it's just that my information is old... LOL. I interviewed Bay Area in spring 2008 when I was pregnant wtih DD.
I don't know when they switched, but my DD was born in January of 2009 with the hospitalists.

#16 of 21 Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM

BAM never worked with Annapolis OBGYN. Dr. Lockwood was the consultant for many years, then the hospitalists.

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)
#17 of 21 Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM

That's interesting because when I called in Spring/summer of '08 after my not so wonderful appointment with AOG directly, I specifically asked who the back ups were and was told it was AOG.

Ah well, OP I apologize for my incorrect information regarding the back up OB's for Bay Area Midwifery.

~ Fe ~
#18 of 21 Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM

The OB Hospitalists backup Bay Area Midwifery not AOG It has never been AOG. The front staff know our backups, but refer to them as AAPG, maybe that was the confusion.They are Anne Arundel Physicians Group. We only take VBAC2C if the mom's last birth was by vaginal delivery, and just like Special beginnings we are encouraged to schedule a section at 1/2 weeks. With ACOG coming out recently with a statement saying delivery is encouraged at 41 weeks due to possibilty demise at 42 weeks, docs tend to want to follow ACOG. So as long as we need an OB to practice midwives at some point must compromise. It may not seem right but in Obstetrics everything is looked at from the point of the lawsuit. Its a shame that million dollar jury awards can dictate practice, but it does. When a doc goes to court the first thing a lawyer will do is pull out the ACOG statement,, blown up 200% and say, Doctor, acog says...... write the check. Get a uterine rupture at 42 weeks... write a bigger check. Its really sad... We (Bay Area) and SB do the best we can to get a successful VBAC, because we know how hard it is to be a VBAC2C. Vaginal delivery is very important to us. But if I have to choose VBAC and sick baby or c-section and healthy baby I take the healthy baby. I have had babies both ways, I know what a section feels like and the emotional component that goes with it, and we dont take that lightly.
#19 of 21 Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Does anyone have a phone number for AAPG? I can't seem to find a contact number for them anywhere!!

Thanks!

~ Fe ~
#20 of 21 Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM

AAPG doesnt have an office. They are hospital employed OB Hospitalist. Each one does a 24 hour shift, takes all ER call, delivers the moms from the health department clinic, and anyone coming in with no provider, additionally they are the backup for Bay Area. So they do not have office hours or anything.
#21 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Check out Alternative Birth Choices. I LOVE Evelyn Muhlhan!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page